New To Thoth Tarot

Yygdrasilian

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree

At least a working familiarity with the Sephirot is essential for understanding the minor arcana. Just as comprehension of the symbolic designations given the Hebrew letters are a key to the major arcana.

First time I read Crowley's companion volume to The Book of Thoth deck I couldn't make much sense of his writing - it seemed arcane, enciphered, and full of blind alleys. It wasn't until a friend loaned me The Holy Qabala by Dion Fortune that I gained the needed insight into his Qabalistic references.

It also got me thinking about those constellations . . .

silverwings94

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my question about the Thoth deck. I will be following everyones advice and most of all taking my time as I study each card.I will be getting a few of the books mentioned and read them first so I am familiar with the meanings and cards.
Again thank you all for the wonderful advice.
S

circle_and_line

yeah totally new to the whole deck as well. seems to be a real push towards the crowley deck at the moment for some reason? not sure why. this is my very 1st deck and i love the art work in it and the moods and interpretations you can get from just the symbolism created within the cards. one thing i found that has helped is to draw a card then just write what you see in it and how it makes you feel.

will be dropping back through to see how you're going and to also let you know how i'm going!! currently using the crowley tarot companion by Akron and Hajo Banzhaf which is helping a lot.

Lilija

I am also new-ish to this deck. I got it two years ago, as a curiosity, and spent a little time with it. I picked it back up, just two days ago and did the "New Deck Interview Spread" that I found here on these forums, and whoa. Very powerful stuff, and I imediately became compelled into working with this deck.

As a weird twist of fate, my husband ordered "Do What Thou Wilt" A Life of Aelister Crowley, by Lawerence Sutin, for me for Christmas and it arrived yesterday. Coincidence? I think not.

It's such a startling and brilliant deck, I'm so magnetized to it.

Grigori

Lilija said:
As a weird twist of fate, my husband ordered "Do What Thou Wilt" A Life of Aelister Crowley, by Lawerence Sutin, for me for Christmas and it arrived yesterday. Coincidence? I think not.

It's such a startling and brilliant deck, I'm so magnetized to it.

Enjoy the book Lilija its an interesting read, I'm about to re-read it myself since reading Crowley's autobiography, so I can compare them.

Not so interesting as the deck though :D

BlueBird5

I am also one of the newbie for this kind tarot. I got a simplified book to start with..

KEYWORDS for the Crowley Tarot
by Banzhaf & Theler
ISBN: 1-57863-173-4

juju lazuli

I guess this is a good place to post as I'm new to Thoth as well. I just picked up my first deck today. They only had a large on in stock. It is difficult to shuffle, but for learning purposes, I like the large images for study and meditation. I Imagine I'll order a card sized deck later on....

I also purchased the Book of Thoth. I've read up on kabala, so I have a bit of a starting point, but honestly, not much. I'm a little intimidated, but I was so taken by the deck that I just had to try. :)

I'm looking forward to reading all the insights in this forum!

thorhammer

juju lazuli said:
I guess this is a good place to post as I'm new to Thoth as well. I just picked up my first deck today. They only had a large on in stock. It is difficult to shuffle, but for learning purposes, I like the large images for study and meditation. I Imagine I'll order a card sized deck later on....
;) Trim it . . . I have ?5? copies of the Thoth and the large trimmed one is by whole Universes my favourite . . . it's the brightly coloured one, as opposed to the dull-coloured or green-tinged ones (which I also own). Taking the borders off has made it the perfect size for shuffling, and it's a deck that does lend itself to trimming from a purely practical POV, as the images are the same size (unlike the Rohrig). Since you have the Book of Thoth you'll have no issues with recognising cards, and the pips very quickly become like people and you'll recognise them instantly.

Best thing I could have done with it.

\m/ Kat

juju lazuli

That's a really good idea! Admittedly, I think I'd have a difficult time taking a pair of scissors to it though....

Still, it's to cumbersome as it is and I love the vibrant colors. There'd be no point in purchasing a smaller one if the colors are washed out.

I think I'll work with them as is, while I'm learning, and then cut them down when I'm confident that I'm familiar with all the cards.