Thoth Study Group - Three of Wands

rachelcat

So nice to post on such a positive card! Here's my IDS on 3 of Wands.

3 = Form
Wands = Energy
The form of energy is change or movement.

Three golden lotus wands are crossed on a lovely orange background with very regular, stylized flames licking out from the intersection. Crowley emphasizes the energy of wands acting as a masculine force fertilizing the Great Mother, the 3. “The Will has been transmitted to the Mother, who conceives, prepares, and gives birth to its manifestation.” In other words, wanting is ok, but in order to get something, action has to be taken. Action is the manifestation of will. Not to rehash the conversation about the meaning of Virtue, but this is the Vir idea. Masculine action. But Crowley does go the conventional meaning of virtue route: “The idea of will and dominion has become interpreted in Character.” Maybe this means that if you just want something, or you just have power over something, that doesn’t count for much. The person of character acts on his/her wants and abilities/opportunities.

Gold for sun, lotuses for Mother/Binah. (Snuffin says the lotus wand is the weapon of Tiphareth, the sun.)

And if we go on with Sun as Self or Personality, the true self, the character, is revealed in our actions, a fine traditional meaning of virtue.

The sun enters Aries as the vernal equinox, the beginning of spring, the time when the great “mother conceives, prepares, and gives birth to manifestation” of the potential of nature and the year.

Crowley cites I Ching hexagram 11, Peace, earth over heaven. Heaven naturally rises and earth naturally sinks, so, with earth over heaven, they are moving together. Earth and heaven drawing closer together is good and will bring peace and/or advancement. (Crowley suggests that this is the sun coming close to the great mother.) The text points out that nothing is all ease, but take the bumps in the road and all will turn out well and harmoniously.

Sun in Aries: “Warrior, spontaneous enthusiasm, leader, hero, I Want, awakening of forces, impatient.”

In a reading: Concrete action will be/should be taken. You are full of energy now, do something good with it! Do the right thing. If you want something, go for it!