4 of Swords: Truce

mooiedragon

Just wondering if anyone else out there wants to take a closer look at this card... I'm not sure I totally grasp is just yet.

I guess it refers to mental stability of some sort. Either you accept something or you begin to understand it. I think that's the general 'jist' of the card... but what of the symbolism? For instance why the four swords facing inward over a lotus(?) flower? I don't notice anything about the sword hilts either, which is kind of strange.... except that they are all the same. Hmmm.. Thoughts anyone?

Aeon418

mooiedragon said:
I guess it refers to mental stability of some sort.
In it's positive sense it can mean peace of mind, equanimity, rest, equilibrium, etc.
It can also imply rules, authority, dogma, and law. But none of these things are real in any physical sense. They are intellectual conventions or ways of structuring thought. One of the weaknesses on the 4 of Swords is acceptence of convention to merely maintain peace and the status quo. It's the free thinker and rebel who always stirs things up by thinking for himself/herself. ;)
mooiedragon said:
... but what of the symbolism? For instance why the four swords facing inward over a lotus(?) flower?
It's a rose of 49 petals sacred to Venus, symbolic of harmony.
mooiedragon said:
I don't notice anything about the sword hilts either, which is kind of strange.... except that they are all the same.
But they aren't all the same. If you look closely each hilt bears symbols of the 4 elements. Fire, Water, Air, and Earth.

SharonS

To me it means a time of rest and rebuilding. A time to slow down and take a break and some time of solitude to yourself so you can come to terms with something that has happened or happened to you. Gotta keep that inner strength up.

~SharonS

Teheuti

Crowley doesn't seem to find much value in the decanate meaning. For him, Jupiter in Libra was "sincerity in the religious instincts, which are expressed with an imaginative mysticism" (the 49-petaled rose?). He also stresses the justice and impartiality of Libra [later 'dispassionate judgment'], but combined with "seeing humanity through rose-colored glasses" and "comradeship." This is weakened by "partial material failure" - these tendencies do not serve terribly well in the world of material success and political leadership (unless supported by other indications). From comments in the Five of Swords, he, perhaps, sees such tendencies to magnanimity as liable to weak sentiment.

It seems to me from BoT that the Truce of the Four of Swords is arrived at as an intellectual compromise based on social conventions (dogma and law) in order to alleviate stress (the 'mental chaos' that surrounds the swords) and appease tensions (epitomized in the Pax Romana - again the rose).

However, such peace is tenuous - mere "static shams," so it's not a good idea to take a rest yet. The truce is not truly justified nor built on solid ground and is about to be disrupted by the Five.

He seems to find a potential for great danger in the repose experienced as a result of social harmony and conventions at the expense of the individual struggle to come to terms with one's own problems. Visually, there is a kind of determinably blind turning one's back on the jagged mental chaos in order to focus on a pleasant, but false, convention called harmony.

Crowley's comments on the Swords especially seem to relate to his thoughts about the war that was going on. The sincerity of ideas about comradeship, pacifism and impartial justice, disintegrate easily when sternness (strong will and individual authority) becomes lax, allowing corruption to work its way in at the Five.

I guess Aeon said this all much more succinctly.

Aeon418

Teheuti said:
He seems to find a potential for great danger in the repose experienced as a result of social harmony and conventions at the expense of the individual struggle to come to terms with one's own problems. Visually, there is a kind of determinably blind turning one's back on the jagged mental chaos in order to focus on a pleasant, but false, convention called harmony.
Sounds a little like the modern day phenomenon of political correctness gone mad. It's now forbidden to express individual thoughts and opinions that don't conform to the standards set by the collective. But as long as everyone uses the correct words and the accetable names harmony is maintained, or so it seems. It's kind of like sweeping dirt under the carpet and pretending you've cleaned up. Everything may look nice and shiny up top, but it's still rotten under the surface.

Teheuti

Aeon418 said:
Sounds a little like the modern day phenomenon of political correctness
Aha! The political correctness and social harmony card!

The outer lines are not as jagged as in the 5 of Swords. It's like they're trying to come together but are very fragile.

Teheuti

I just got it! When you combine the "religious instincts" (Jupiter in Libra) and authority versus individuality aspects to understanding this card - the effect is like the balm (inner truce) that people seek when joining a religion or following a guru. It's the peace that comes from not having to think for yourself, but instead being in a community/commune where everything appears as smiles & hugs and sweetness & light. We've seen how often there is real rottenness lurking below - or how it all disintegrates so easily.

Teheuti

The nicer side of this card (but not so Crowleyesk), is from Muriel Hasbrouck, who studied with Crowley in the U.S., but before he created his deck:

She says it's
"The ability to analyze a situation from all angles." [and using all elements as we see in the card].

When this card describes people, they are orderly and conventional but extremely fair and honest. And perfectionists. And clear, logical, and analytical thinkers, but sensitive to criticism. (This card corresponds to my birthday.)

Aeon418

Teheuti said:
"The ability to analyze a situation from all angles." [and using all elements as we see in the card].
That gives this card a very appropriate Airy duality. It's either the individual apprehending the whole or the submersion of the individual in the collective.

Abrac

One way to look at it is the swords have been laid down in the interest of some greater good, represented by the "rose." Another option is to imagine four people, all with swords - or as in this day and age - nuclear weapons, pointed at each other waiting to see who blinks first. Maybe a truce is a better option.