Faerie's Oracle: Connections Between the Cards

Amashelle

I've finally had a chance to test a theory I've had about Froud's oracle. It occured to me when I realized that Solus was counted as one of the singers, and not the Sidhe, as I've always assumed.

That being said, I wanted to lay out all the cards in order, each row representing one group as outlined in the book (the singers, the sidhe, guides and guardians, help-line, and challengers). Sure enough, the cards divide evenly into these five groups (I knew that much would work out), and when you look at each column, there are some interesting connections that I never noticed before.

To better illustrate my point, the columns line up like this:

Unity: The Maiden, Nelys the Alchemist, Honesty, Death
Extasis: The Journeyman, Penelope Dreamweaver, Ilbe the Retriever, Epona's Wild Daughter
Guardian of the Gate: The Bright Mother, Ta'Om the Poet, Myk the Myomancer, The Soul Shrinker
He of the Fiery Sword: Himself, The Laume, Geeeeeooo the Slooow, Gloominous Doom
She of the Cruach: Lady of the harvest, Undressing of a Salad, Lys of the Shadows, Luathas the Wild
Connection: The Sage, Iris of the Rainbows, Taitin the Sylph, Ffaff the Ffooter
Intuition: The Dark Lady, Faeries of the Future, the Friends, the Bodacious Bodach
Courage: Faery who was kissed by the Pixies, Sylcanius, The Oak Men, the Pook
Initiation: The Master Maker, the Faun, Collection of Pixies, G. Hobyah
Healing: The Green Woman, Spirit Dancer, Mikle a Muckle
Transfiguration: The Piper, Tobaira of the Waters, Arval Parrot, Indi
Chalice: The Faery Godmother, Laiste Moon's Daughter, Topsie Turvets, Gawtcha
Solus: O! that gnome, Losguanna, the Rarr, The Fee Lion

I think these columns can be used to add another dimention of interpretation to the cards, in the same way that minor arcana cards are associated with their number in the major arcana to add to their interpretation.

For example, take the column of Unity. It begins with the maiden: the universal child. The babe we all start out as. Nelys' alchemy irrevocably changes everything from one to another, children to adults, for example, but her alchemy only works because she understands that, beneath whatever surface is projected, everything is a part of the one universal whole. We all possess every possibility within us, she merely brings it to the surface. In Honesty, true, unjaded honestly (not the harsh, hurtful type people call 'total' honesty), everything is revealed to us, the connections within us all, the truth inside our whole. And Death, the universal constant: all things die, and are reborn through unity.

There are some cards that surprised me --- the Laume turned up in the column of the Fiery Sword, not She of the Cruach, and I'm not sure how this could be interpreted, but it's an interesting thought, in my mind, and one I wanted to share with this group. I'd love to hear if anyone's looked at the cards like this before, and what their thoughts were, or are if they haven't considered this sort of connection --- even if your thoughts are that I'm completely off my rocker, lol.

faunabay

hmmm.....
I've never looked at them this way. Very interesting!

Now I'm off to lay them out and look at them like this. :p

Purrfect

As yet I havent been able to put the cards in the groups (the singers, the sidhe, guides and guardians, help-line, and challengers). I dont disbelieve the theory works.
I cant get the cards however to split into 13 rows.
Has anyone else been trying to do this? has anyone been able to do this with success?

I seem to be puzzling myself.

Amashelle

Purrfect said:
As yet I havent been able to put the cards in the groups (the singers, the sidhe, guides and guardians, help-line, and challengers). I dont disbelieve the theory works.
I cant get the cards however to split into 13 rows.
Has anyone else been trying to do this? has anyone been able to do this with success?

I seem to be puzzling myself.

If you leave out the guide (which is a non-card, personalized to each individual) it works. Start with Unity. Start the next row with The Maiden, the next with Nelys, the next with Honesty, and the last with Death. It does lay out evenly then.

Jewel

Ohhhhhh I need to try this too! Thanks Amashelle!

Purrfect

I have retired the Faeries Oracle. I decided to let them rest.
I will leave to other's who have nore time to test the theory.

Purrfect

Thanks, for trying to help me with the theory. I sent a pm.
I hope that you are able to find others who can work through this with you and test the theory.
I tried to work with it but, something stopped me from progressing further. I didnt feel o.k with placing the faeries into each catergory.
I like to be able to work organically with the deck and I dont like placing lables on faeries, I am not good with lables being placed on myself.
I think that is where the theory stopped me progressing.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Amashelle

I understand that some people don't like the idea of categorizing the fae, and that's fine: I mean, we all interact with the faeries in our own way, right?

I don't really look at it as categorizing them so much as recognizing that they carry in them the energies of the singers, and, like humans, certain energies resonate more strongly with certain fae than with others. I see this as a glimpse into the energies that most strongly affect each of the faeries in the deck.

Also, I'm a Capricorn Rising: we earth people like things to be connected and organized ;)

I am wondering if anyone else has had a chance to look at this and what your thoughts were, if you had any. I mean, am I mistaken to even try to find these so-called connections?

DragonFae

Amashelle, I looked at this thread earlier and am very interested in looking at your idea closer...simply haven't found the time to do it yet...hope to spend some time with the cards in the next week or so...checking out your thoughts and see what ones might arise in me when examining the cards in this manner...I'll post after I have had time to play with the cards and refelct on this idea...

DragonFae

Oh I also wanted to say...I don't see it as labeling or catergorizing them at all...basically they are already in categories of a sort...The Singers etc...AND I do think there are MANY connections and groupings among them....

I see a great many connections among the Singers as I posted elsewhere...they are like pieces of a puzzle and when put together form a whole...

There are male/female faeries....if you want to call those labels...or categories

There are faeires that are singles, pairs, or groups (on a card)

There are faeries that represent catergories of people...such as Ta'Om The Poet (patron of writers) and Lys of the Shadows (faery of social workers, therapists, etc) and then there's Spirit Dancer...(faery of the arts...so to speak)

There are faeries that are more about nature and those that are more about inner realms of the human spirit..

Anyway you get my drift...I think each of those reflections about the faeries adds depth to the messages they are bringing us....you know how they LOVE riddles...and understanding them is sort of like solving riddles...

So I am looking forward to some time to explore your suggestion.