So what are your particular methods for using the cards? - what rituals?

spoonbender

When I first started out, I read in a book that before reading Tarot cards, you have to ground yourself, open your chakras, do a prayer, imagine white light coming into your deck, etc. There's nothing wrong with those things of course, but I really don't think they are that necessary. I hardly ever read Tarot after reading that because it always took so long, even just the preparing.
Now I usually read the cards this way: I go up to my room, take out the deck, shuffle it on my own way (I'm not that good at shuffling) while concentrating on the question very well. Sometimes I put music on, but definitely not always. I really can't be disturbed while reading, so the door is shut. I lay out the cards, interpret them and write everything down on my computer. And that works perfectly.

Spoonbender

gloria

I fully agree here Spoonbender.
I have books that urge you to meditate, open up the chakra, etc., and this is all 'before' you even attempt to read the cards.
(Let me say right now though, I am not saying this is wrong.)
I'd find the procedure pretty daunting for a start, plus the fact I just wouldn't have the time.
And the thing is, if you have opened up the chakras beforehand, don't forget they have to be closed down again after the reading. :)

My way is pretty simple. I swirl the cards around on the table, face down. Pushing them here pulling them there until I have a comfortable heap in front of me. Then I place my hands over them and quietly ask the "powers that be" to help me give a true and accurate reading.
If I know the person I'll conjure up their face in my mind.
Or I'll listen to their voice in my mind, if that makes sense to you.

I do believe in meditation, although I find it really difficult to achieve a meditative state. If you can persevere I've found it can bring latent powers of intuition into play.

Gloria.

Chronata

For readings for myself, I don't need any sort of ritual.
I really find that just putting my hands around the cards and shuffling them is enough to focus my energies and concentration.

However, when reading for the public (and sometimes friends, too) I find that some sort of a ritual is good for buisness!

Sometimes, I have inscense, sometimes a candle burning...but it's really just for the Querent and all part of the show.
The real ritual comes when I ask them to concentrate on a question and touch the cards, then I usually do the shuffling and layout myself. Again, this is for the people I am doing the reading for, so that they can focus on what they want to know.

The only other time I do something akin to ritual is when I am doing many readings at one time for strangers that I have only met on the internet.
For these, I find that ringing a small chime or bell between readings, helps me clear out the thoughts that are still lingering after each reading, and allows me to focus and clear my mind for the next one.

Peace, and Wisdom,
Chronata

skytwig

No rituals.....

I remember the humor of my first deck. It was gifted to me by my Native American teacher... Tarot of the Old Path... I was as green as they come, but, after a lifetime of fiddling with playing cards, knowing there was something else i could be doing with them, I was in Bliss with an actual deck in my hands!

I remember pulling a card from the deck and showing it to my teacher and saying, "What does this mean?" She would look at me funny and explain..... I kept doing this and finally she said, "My G**, they're all Major Arcana!"

I didn't know what that meant... but now I see it as the Universe welcoming me back to something I had done for many lifetimes.

Probably the most important part of the process for me is the shuffling..... I key into the cards and stop shuffling when I feel directed to. I read from the top; but sometimes, i find the reading on the bottom.... I use the Celtic Cross most frequently and pay particular attention to the question card to see if the reading is on "it"..... if not, i check the bottom.

I used to fan the cards and may experiment to see what that does for me.... I have stayed away from using my hand to sense the cards because i know i have my favorites.

I also clean the cards now and then... saging with white sage or crystals (Set a crystal on them overnight) or with Reiki.

firemaiden

I don't do any rituals. I have conversations with the cards. I ask a question, and pull a card. Ask another question in response to that answer and pull another card, etc. It helps me think through problems.

WolfSpirit

Rituals:
shuffling the cards until I feel it is all right, if I am not calm or concentrated enough I do something about that like grounding or balancing or meditating. For bigger spreads I like to use a cloth just to give the cards a little space of their own.

Other uses of cards:
meditation
as "props" in spellwork
fun to look at when there is nothing on tv ;)

paradoxx

I have a wand that i bought that has 7 stones, one for each chackra, and a crystal point on both ends. I mimic the traditional magicians pose to attune with teh tarot energies, i ususally make some quick guestures and then begin to shuffle and read.

Cassiopeia

I dont really have any rituals, thinking about it....I do it differently every time I read. Sometimes I pick up the cards, start trying to shuffle and cards will be flying out the pack. Sometimes I read read from the top of the pile, other times I pick from a fan. I never know what spread I am going to use until I start either, just keep picking cards until I feel I have enough. Sometimes I let people choose thier own cards, other times I pick for them. Online, that isnt possible of course.

I tend to think that right from the moment I pick up the cards to begin reading, that the reading has started, so the way I shuffle and pick cards tells me something about the sitter. Sometimes it happens that my hands wont shuffle properly, it seems really difficult and other times I shuffle neatly and methodically, I take all this as being related to how the sitter is feeling at the time. On a few occasions I have based a reading directly on how I have felt during the shuffling.

Aura Wolf

I usually just sit on the floor in a quiet place (usually my alcove, which used to be a large closet until i cleaned it out and dressed it up and put up some beads). I used to light a candle on either side of the spread area before i began, although lately I haven't been (mostly because I lost my lighter). And I may meditate every once in a while. But that's about it. I like to keep it pretty natural.

wynde

my ritual

i bought a little set of "meditation chimes"
(two disc things connected by a thin strap)
and while the querent is shuffling i chime once.
very simple. the sound is very centering.

i find that it inconspicuously says
"ok, we're starting now" or "time to focus"
and it's just as much for me as the person
i'm reading for.

they were cheap and small and they fit
in the bag that i carry my cards in.

also i have a scented oil that i put on
when i do readings. sense of smell is
underestimated i think. very powerful.