Cards falling out while shuffling

zorya

if several cards fall out, or if a card or two fall out face down, i take it to mean i'm not focussed enough. so i stop. take a couple of deep breaths, ground and plug in again.

if it's one or two that fall out face up, i take them to mean something.

PurpleGoddess

i take it as a message for the forces that i'm done with shuffling use these cards instead.

that happened to me while visiting relatives over 4th of july. i had enough cards to two spreads, i only did one...as suggested by Holmes i'll do two readings next time. there's a chance it was a past/present life reading.

always pay attention to what happens with your deck and around you. the powers that be are trying to get your attention or get you to listen from within.

like this..i pay attention in the morning to the # of red lights i get going to the highway for work. more red than green it's going to be one of those days so just take my time and bite my tongue. i do this on any given day, especially when i feel chaotic..helps me get centered and to thank the Goddess for the red light that saved me from getting hit from an impatient driver.

blessed be

Laurel

Typically, I attribute falling cards to my own clumsiness rather than mystical forces- but I always glance at the card any way as I stick it back in and continue to shuffle. I shuffle until there's no clumsiness in the way I'm handling the cards. Sometimes, that fallen card has turned out to be synchronistically significant once I've started laying down cards.

Laurel

wetsheep1

I'm kind of like PurpleGoddess; about the time cards start to fall out of the deck, the deck's probably finished shuffling :)

Matter of fact, I had a recent spate of them falling out crosswise, and somewhere in here I posted a new spread that you can use for them. You can see it under the thread "New Quickie Oracle Spread" in this folder; see what you think!

For any of them, I pick up the card and most of the time I use it -- no matter what spread I'm using. And a lot of times, I'll let the cards choose the spread. They're good at letting me know which one is the most appropriate for the question. Sometimes I use it as a "significator," and other times it can be the first card in the spread; it all depends on what kinds of signals I get when I pick it up and read it. But I always find it useful :) even when the spread is only that one card!

;) Good luck!
-- k

(Edited to include reference to thread)

Mlle Lenormand

I've had cards jump out of the pack and in ignorance I've put them back and shuffled, only to have them come out again. So now I take note of cards with wings.

As to bigger packs, turn them sideways when you shuffle so that the slim ends are in your hands, this makes shuffling easier.

MeeWah

If this occurs during a daily draw, I use whatever card(s) fall out of the deck as the message for the day. I do not see the occurrence as a result of clumsiness but as Divinerguy: the deck or ThePowersThatBe speaking. Every card or cards resulting from such has had significance, sometimes startling.

Whether for a personal throw or for someone else, I stop shuffling & use the card as the first card of the throw. I then deal the cards from the top of the deck for the rest of the throw. If there are more than one, I use them as the initial throw.

SquigglyWiggly's comment reminds me of the most unusual experience several years ago. I was shuffling my RSW deck at the foot of my bed for the daily draw when a small pile of cards flew over my left shoulder & fell in slow motion behind me, giving me the opportunity to watch them as they fell. Whilst I was stunned, I was able to observe the order in which they fell. I counted 9 cards--one short of a Celtic Spread. I took that to mean a reading. I wrote the cards in my journal but did not get to look at them closely until after work. The first card was Knight-Cups. Immediately, I saw that as representing a relative who was incarcerated. The rest described his experiences & also represented a warning. Due to what I understood from them, I told another relative whom he kept in touch with of the concerns as I saw them. I also wrote to him. Recommended that he be careful, especially in the evenings when it seemed there were more incidents with tempers flaring & the possibility of violence. That he needed to keep to himself as much as was practical, to remain alert & to be careful of his mouth.

Subsequently, he phoned me collect (the only way inmates are able to use the phone). In the evenings was when the inmates had some free time to watch the telly in a common room. There had been recent incidents involving arguments over what program to watch. They often led to fights with serious injuries. He assured me he was staying out of trouble & had attained a trustee status where he had a wee more freedom than the majority. He'd also developed major dental problems that required medical attention due to abcessed teeth.

amyel

If alot of cards fall out, I just refocus, or advise the querent to do so. If it is just one or two, I stop shuffling and use these as the first card/s of the spread.

And, if the cards just don't want to shuffle anymore (as in they just won't mix anymore), then I stop and start the laying out the spread.

Alta

amyel said:
And, if the cards just don't want to shuffle anymore (as in they just won't mix anymore), then I stop and start the laying out the spread.
amyel, I have never seen anyone mention that before, but I do that as well.

jade

i only read the cards that fall out. i shuffle my deck and the cards that want to be read fall out, or rather fly out LOL, and i lay them out and read them.

if none fall out, then i don't do a reading, although that has never happened.

my cards just like to be a leo, like me, jumping out to the center of attention and saying "pick me pick me, i'm here to be read!"

heehee
jade

cherrywind

Personally, if one or two fall out I place them above the spread and take them as further insight. If it's any more than that I take it as my own clumsiness and I just put them back in and reshuffle.