I keep on having so many reverses!

tarotsmurf

My goodness, I just can't escape them... I even pretty much right-sided my deck on March 31 when doing a quarterly deeper reading, and I'm careful to shuffle them correctly and use them in the right orientation. I am going through a phase of depression right now, and pulling myself out, so my own energy does feel a little "reversed" and I'm not sure if the cards will just resolve as I pull myself upright, as it were. Or, if I should ritually right-side them as a means of getting them back to straight and also manifesting an "energy unclog" in my own life. I am leaning towards the latter, but I'd love to hear what other practitioners do. I can see benefits in both approaches-- the fact is, sometimes we just ARE clogged/reverse and learning to accept that as part of the ebb and flow of life is key. But, I'm always one for taking action.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, tarotsmurf!

It sounds like you generally use your deck with the images right-side up, but you're getting lots of reversals. If you don't want reversed cards, I would suggest uprighting all the cards one more time and then shuffling them face UP so you can see what you're doing to cause cards to end up reversed.

It's possible that the tarot is reflecting your depressed state back at you, so that's why you're unconsciously introducing reversed cards into your deck. It might be helpful to flip the deck over and pull out all the cards that are reversed and lay them all out together to see if there's any kind of theme or message there for you. Then upright the cards and return them to the deck.

Rodney

tarotsmurf

Oh, I like that idea of going through and pulling out all the reversed cards! I will do that as part of a ritual for thoughtfully rightsiding them. I don't want to just "force them" back to upright without listening to why they are that way, so this feels like a really nice compromise.

I like reading with reversals in general, just because it's how I've always done it, but I'm just like "dang, they're reproducing like Tribbles!!!!" "It's raining reversals!" It's almost comical.

Ace

I am sorry you are feeling depressed right now, tarotsmurf. I find reversed cards mean "not.... whatever the upright meaning is." and when a spread has a LOT of reversed cards, it can mean you are resisting something the cards are trying to tell you. Perhaps you should read them as if upright and see if THAT tells you what that may be.

When you are very angry or depressed (which is anger turned inward.) you could be saying a lot of "I don't want to!" to the universe. So relax a bit and maybe don't push yourself. Or read yourself for a while and see how you feel in a few days. I did a reading for someone last night and got a lot of reversed cards (about 9 or 10 out of 12!) Even though she didn't think so, I think she was feeling very unhappy about things and resisting even thinking about it.

I am glad to have another Reversal-reader in the bunch! I read reversals too but many here don't--there are recent threads about it.

barb

Maru

I would consider reversing your reversal meanings (making them upright) and making upright reversed after your first look-over... sometimes that can make a spread make more sense. I know that sounds weird... but sometimes that makes things seem less dramatic and may help bring the entire reading home.

I don't use reversals though the way most people do. Most of mine are signals for me to reconsider my standard approach to the card. I trust my intuition far more than the cards at this point... the reversals just tell me I may want to take a double take and see if I can maybe glean more info into a particular area.

If these self-readings are meant to be therapeutic, it's possible the reversals are cards are aspects beaten to a pulp. Beating a dead horse. Your upright, when dealing with cards as a tool to therapy, are likely what actually deserves your focus...

euripides

"It's raining reversals!" It's almost comical.

Bear in mind that if you're randomly shuffling reversals into your deck, if it really is quite random, you should get reversed cards, on average, around 50% of the time. Sometimes you'll get fewer, and sometimes you'll get more. How you handle and shuffle may affect this.

If you're going to read reversals, I'd regularly right the cards, shuffle, and cut half. Or 1/3 and know which way is up. You're adding a major shift of interpretation to the deck, so I think you need to keep it under some degree of control. Otherwise your handling pattern could progressively be rotating the entire deck and you don't know.