Shadowscapes Study: Strength

Kloeyy

S T R E N G T H

Unshakeable resolve, calm composure and patience, compassion, persuasion and soft control, tempered force.

NorthernTigress

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by jumping ahead, but I'm just so excited about this deck that I can't stop myself!

Strength comes in many forms, and so this card shows many symbols of Strength.

We have:
The Strength of power - the lion
The Strength of persuasion - the woman
The Strength of flexibility - the bamboo
The Strength of strategy and cunning - the cats
The Strength of determination and protection - the swan

The more I look, the more I see. The bridge itself is a form of strength. Below the bridge, there is a carving of an acorn -- potential strength.

Of course, there are some symbols that haven't quite revealed themselves to me yet. What is the fiery orb that the lion is guarding? Is there a significance to the Celtic knotwork? And what exactly is in the "bird bath" that causes it to steam that way?

The thing I love the most about the Shadowscapes deck is its internal continuity. The same "horned lion" seen here in the Strength card is echoed throughout the Wands suit. I use the word "echo" because there is similarity without repetition. In Strength, we have a lion with curving ram's horns; the lion-mount in the 2 of Wands has a single horn, and straighter, reminding me of a cross between a unicorn and a gazelle; the Knight of Wand's lion has two gazelle-like horns; the 9 of Wand's steed has the curved horns again, and a tail that is more fox-like than leonine. The 6 and King of Wands both have stone lions, with the addition of spirit-lions being conjured by the King.

JSNYC

NorthernTigress said:
I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by jumping ahead, but I'm just so excited about this deck that I can't stop myself!
Please do (jump ahead or around)! I am enjoying your posts very much! :)

I was also mesmerized by the fiery orb. I just took as a symbol of fire and power, like Wands... Because Stephanie also did something that I really like, that isn't typical, she made the lion look fierce. Most of the lions look like they have been mesmerized or soothed. This is a real lion, a powerful and fierce lion, and the woman's connection to the lion is different than a master to a tamed beast.

JSNYC

I was drawing some spreads and I noticed something else, the same orb (although smaller) and a lion are also present on the King of Wands card... I :love: this deck! :)

WinterRose

I've seen that orb in quite a few of these cards. There's a very similar one in Temperance. In fact, orbs and circles seem to feature a lot in this deck, I've noticed.

sleeplessdreamer

First, I love how stephanie portrays the lion as the all powerful king of the jungle-what he truely is. I feel the connection between woman and beast in this card is much like the connection the Na'vi have with the beasts in the movie avatar- a powerful bond that enhances the strength of not only the 'master' but the the beast as well.

I wonder what the two slyphs are doing down in the coner, sitting on the bird bath?
Why is the one cat holding a bell on a string?
What's the purspose of the bands around the lions tail?
Why are there cracks in the bridges-symbols of where its strength was tested?
The cat in the back rests its tiny paw on the lions giant paw-cooperation? Combining dif stregnths?

This card keeps me wondering-my favorite rendition of strength thus far.

mentalista

It is not a lion in that picture, but some sort of djinn - he has ram's horns. And the wings of the swan on his back suggest a gryphon. Like a gryphon, he guards the solar gold, an orb of power much like that of the Emperor (who also has horns) but much purer, and unlike the Emperor he has dominion over it and not vice versa.

This is a love scene. I can't think of any other way to interpret the woman's pose than the tender caress of a lover - and the love is only more poignant for being monstrous in the eyes of the world (beauty and the beast). Are they making their last stand on the narrow bridge?

The bowl with vapor rising from it seems related to prophecy, although I'm not sure how it fits in with the rest of the card.

Sagefire

I got the impression that the bowl in lower right was a censer... A quick search yields some wisdom, "At all events the incense-burner remained the centre of changes and transformations associated with worship, sacrifice, ascending perfume of sweet savour, fire, combustion, disintegration, transformation, vision, communication with spiritual beings, and assurances of immortality." This card definitely carries a feeling of communication and enlightenment...

In terms of cats, I will always view bells to be playful things, here perhaps it reminds us never to take ourselves too seriously.. :D :heart:

pastel_sab

bowl = Hot temper ?
The globe : control of raw energy ?

Peregrin

NorthernTigress, thanks for listing the many examples of strength in this picture. I love the way Stephanie slips in so many items to ponder in each picture without making it seem cluttered and without getting pedantic.

According to the Shadowscapes Companion book, this "king of the wild" is a lion. Of course, with horns, it's no ordinary lion. But if people and lizards can have wings, then I guess lions can have horns. "The lion is fierce, and the fire he guards is a flame that burns."

The lion is responsible for guarding a magical ball of fire. I think the fire within the ball might symbolize the fire of courage. Whatever it is, it's clear that it's an important responsibility.

There's a different fire in the bowl, and I assume that incense is burning and creating the plume of smoke that we see. I think the incense might represent the "calm composure and patience" of the Strength card. Despite all the power on display, this is a relaxed scene. The playful cats know not to take things too seriously. With strength at your command, there's no need to be anxious.

Does anyone know what these red-breasted, black-headed birds are? They also appear in the World card.