Which Rider-Waite?

Liz C

I have the Universal Waite tarot deck. I find the recolouring by Mary Hanson-Roberts to be really beautiful and pleasing to the eye, yet still very realistic. I find its easy to see lots of details in the cards. I can highly recommend this deck.

Cheers,
Liz.

wytchwood

Abrac said:
wytchwood, is it a US Games copyright: © 1971 US Games?

I had never heard of, nor seen, a blue box Rider having copyrights, then a couple of days ago I saw one on eBay that also had copyrights. I don't know, very unusual. This might be yet another chapter in the ongoing saga that is the RWS Tarot.

Yes it says © 1971 US Games. Very very tiny it is.

Zoe

LittleGoblin

I just got the Radiant and I really like it. The colors on the Universal were ok, but the Radiant's colors are quite tactile and rich.

teomat

My favourite version is the Original RW (with the measle people!).

It sounds odd, but I don't like ANY of the art in the RWS no matter how it's re-done (e.g the Universal, Radiant etc). I don't even like the original.
It's weird, but I think the fact that it IS a bit ugly and hasn't been 'sweetened up' is what appeals to me. It's a product of it's time and all the clones that have spawned from it just seem to be watered-down versions.

diane drizzy

Consider the B.O.T.A. deck. You can connect with it and color it as you see fit.

Sulis

diane drizzy said:
Consider the B.O.T.A. deck. You can connect with it and color it as you see fit.
Doesn't the BOTA deck have non-scenic minors?
Only the Majors are based on the RWS.

diane drizzy

Good point,Sulis.

Brigid

I have recently bought a RWS in a blue box with the temperance card on the front and the Roses & Lillies back. The seller (a fellow ATer) said it was from the 70's...
Is anyone familiar with this?

nisaba

I like hte golden rider, it looks the way the Rider might have looked if Pixie was given an airbrush ... <grin>. And I come as close to loving as I've ever going to come, the Diamond. Pure, straight, mini-RW images in the centre, and doped-out hallucinatory borders-upon-borders. Great stuff. Walking into the images, even out of body, is like balancing on a high-wire made of jelly.

Welf

Brigid*69 said:
I have recently bought a RWS in a blue box with the temperance card on the front and the Roses & Lillies back. The seller (a fellow ATer) said it was from the 70's...
Is anyone familiar with this?
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but to me, this sounds like the Original Rider Waite edition... Many Rider Waite versions by US Publications have a copyright tag which says 1971 regardless when the cards were printed. I think the blue box with Temperance on top with the Roses and Lillies first came out in the early 1990s? Supposedly a reprint of an older version from the early days of Rider Waite decks.... something like that.... I'm sure if I've stuffed up, someone will correct me... ?

The USGames one printed in Italy is, in my opinion, too gloosy laminated and is not as nice looking as the other one that is around the place, though I can't remember right now where it was printed.

They come in two types of covers... one is in a blue box with Temperance and the other one is in a box with the Roses and Lillies pattern printed on it... Both styles of boxes come in either just a pack of cards (LWB included) or a box set with a small book and a pack of cards...

Original Rider Waite Tarot
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/original-rider-waite/

Welf

Attachments

• Original Rider Waite 1.jpg
    Original Rider Waite 1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Original Rider Waite 2.jpg
    Original Rider Waite 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 133