What deck should I buy?

nimblypimblycat

Hey guys,

I am looking to get into Lenormand and need advice on what deck I should get as a beginner? Any advice would be great!!

Thanks
Nimbly :)

DownUnderNZer

Something with no words/poems/verses and just a main picture on it. E.g. Cross.

Not too busy or distracting.

Having said that I do like Ciro M's Lenormand - just never use it sadly enough.

I tend to stay with the one I learnt with from the very start: Blue Owl.

DND :)

Nemia

Blue Owl or French Cartomancy are clear and easy to read. Lenormand works like a pictogram language so the many layers and symbols of tarot cards have no place in Lenormand decks. You need to be able to see at first sight whether it's a bouqet or heart, ring or cross, house or garden, without guesswork.

I'd choose a deck with playing card inserts, I find they add depth especially where court cards appear.

You can even buy blanco cards from a crafts shop and simply write number, name, suit and colour on each card, and over time, add keywords. That's a good exercise and gives you a learning deck.

If you study from a book that you like, use the deck recommended in the book or used there. I learned from a book illustrated with Blue Owl cards and I still like them.

nimblypimblycat

Oh guys, thank you so much! That's a big help. I've just had a quick look at the Blue Owl deck and it looks perfect. I love the illustrations, so a great start indeed.

I do rely on books initially, however, I LOVE reading of peoples personal experiences with the cards on here. once I start on something, I can't stop haha.

Any book in particular that is better for the Blue Owl deck?

Thanks again guys, appreciate it!! :)

reall

just to sign up everything Nemia said and add; you can even start with pack of playing cards just add your own Lenormand doodle and card title!:)

also you should get at least one deck that you'll like working with!:)
so be sure to check out etsy n gamecrafter for some selfpublished gems including mine!^^:) here https://sites.google.com/site/chakralenormand/
you can download my free e book that may help you got idea how things with Lenormand work in general!^^ and for any question there is always google and forum to ask!^^ lolz :))

p.s we should ask mod to set this thread *float up* as every now and then we get same question!^^:))

blueeyetea

You can also look at the Piatnik Lenormand, which is under $10 if you just want a deck to try out the Lenormand system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Village Witch

You can also look at the Piatnik Lenormand, which is under $10 if you just want a deck to try out the Lenormand system.

From someone who is a relative newbie to Lenormand and owns a lot of decks, I also recommend starting with a basic deck like the Piatnik.

Just my two pentacles. :)

Cocobird55

I learned using the Piatnik, and I frequently go back to it. It gives me very clear readings.

Padma

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also love the Piatnik. They symbols are clear and traditional, and are rendered in an appealing way. Blue Owl was my beginner deck, and I still love it. Good luck!

PS myself, I learned using the Learnlenormand website. I then progressed to Rana George's book, but I still go back to Learnlenormand dot com when I am stuck!

UniversesCollide

PS myself, I learned using the Learnlenormand website. I then progressed to Rana George's book, but I still go back to Learnlenormand dot com when I am stuck!

I'd like to ditto the above. I found the Learnlenorand website to be so helpful, especially the extensive lists of card combinations. Just like Padma, that's where I began before diving into Rana George's book. Also, I haunted youtube looking at videos to gain understanding of how it works.

If you come from a Tarot background, then I also add my vote to the simple decks to help you resist the urge to read them in that way as you begin. Check out images online to see what appeals to you. I personally prefer simple images with even simpler number/suit representation. I am not a big fan of the cards that include the full image of the playing card but that's just my personal preference and even that might change someday.