Five of cups and ace of cups for attraction?

starrystarrynight

Thirteen said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrystarrynight
"That is because the Ace of Cups, in this instance, makes me think he is looking at her with a "what's in it for me?" frame of mind. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure I'd see the Ace/Cups as that as compared to an Ace/Wands or Ace/Pentacles. Love can see beneath the surface after all, and the Ace is the potential to do that.
I'd agree with what you said about the Ace of Cups/Love being able to see under the surface; however, in this reading, since it came up following the Five of Cups about a question having to do with the querent's desire to know what he thought about her looks after not seeing her for sometime, it makes me feel that this is an integral part of his visual response to her...that he is looking at the more negative aspects of her human figure (5 Cups) because he may be asking himself on some level, "How would this further my own personal emotional journey--i.e. alone?" (Ace.)

The Five of Cups would, to me, put his visual response to her in a more negative state right off the bat--he is only able to [pessimistically] see the spilled cups in front of her; therefore, his response (or love) is not even able to see anything that may be beneath the surface. In this case...

But, again, this is simply how I would read this pair of cards in this positional question at this point in time. :)

And, probably more a propos would be the take that the Ace signifies her need to love herself enough not to have to ask this kind of a question in the first place.