Best Devil card?

Chara

My absolute favourite Devil card has always been (and will probably always be) the Devil in the Housewives Tarot. The leggy chocolate cake surrounded by pills and cigarettes just speaks to me on a spiritual level ;)

Haha, but seriously, I really like that idea of the Devil, and while I'm normally wary of changes to the card, it still packs a punch and gets a message across without watering down the idea.

I'm also especially fond of the Halloween Tarot's Devil with a blue dress on. I break out into song every time I see it.

FrauGrandDuchess

My Devil... Images borrowed from the 60s mostly, like the Housewives Tarot, but hand-collaged. I like how yellow her teeth look.

Attachments

• DEVIL.jpg
    DEVIL.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 127

agviz

Nice! I like that she's holding a baby goat. I have your deck BTW. Very kitchy and fun. :thumbsup:

Nomdeplume

I like the Devil from the Golden Tarot... every time I see him, it sends shivers down my spine. Also, I must also say I'm partial to the Devil in the Housewives Tarot - a large slab of chocolate cake is certainly representing the Devil to me :)

chongjasmine

I like the rider waite's depiction of the devil card.

Nemia

For me, the Haindl devil is the most fearsome.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y5lVgEV-w...ALuA/PlAlgtmaU9g/s1600/Haindl+Tarot+Devil.jpg

He looks melancholy in his viciousness. There is something terrible in those many eyes, looking at me and coming alive under mine. They apply to me, appeal to me.

I find this is a devil who might really become dangerous to me, the "save me I'm suffering from being so evil" type of danger. Good intentions plastering the road to hell - trying to save a devil.

Persia

The Devil in the forthcoming Babalon Jones deck, Tarot M. I've only seen the online pics so far, but it's really cool!

This is Babalon's deck in progress

Apart from that...the Devil in Kat Black's Touchstone deck, I think. :) He looks suitably Mephistophelian, as well as incredibly Dionysian/tempting!! Bring on the wine, I say!

Love the Hanged Man in the babalon deck.

mah jong

The Urban Tarot devil is one of the reasons why that deck is on my wish list.

nisaba

Which ones do you like? I have always liked the non-traditional ones (like the Favole) and figured I would open this up to the forum.

:)

It depends what I'm wanting from the Devil card at the time.

The Botticelli Devil is very cute - but not very Devilish. He lacks any sense of danger. The Rumi Devil is gorgeous, and a little less emasculated. RWS-clone devils are just ho-hum <yawn>.

But the Devils that really do it for me are the Visconti Devils. Now that, in the modern era, we have lost our sense of the Devil as something real and just lurking everywhere waiting to grab him, our artists have no sense of tapping into that archetypal fear.

Have a look at these three Visconti Devils. The big one is just monstrous, but not much of an intellect. He's the kind who would eat your entrails first and not bother asking questions later. The middle-sized one (that's meant to be gold, all over the card) is an urbane and educated gent, the kind who sets people quizzes for their souls, or offers them worldly power for their souls, or plays fiddles at crossroads for their souls. But the mini Devil here, he's the really creepy one. He has to be my favourite Devil of all time. :)

Attachments

• img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 97