5 of cups-qualities in a person.

gorgeousbutterfly

i think"pessemisitc" ?? maybe someone who is a cry baby?

Sebavin

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/fives.shtml

RWS, right?

Here's a link to Thirteen's interpretation. It enlightens quite a bit about the characteristics of the fives, starting with The Hierophant.

But I do have to say, sometimes there is no solace in what you have if what is really important to you is taken. They might be stronger than you think, they just need time to recuperate. The Universe is in a constant state of flux. That might not be their card tomorrow.

berrieh

Pessimistic is a good word. Unable to see the beauty around them. I usually see in this card someone who's lost faith. The 5s are problem/growth cards, and I guess the card here is about understanding disappointment. Hysteria. To a degree, melodrama, but not like the 10 of Swords...more like internal melodrama. A tendency towards depression.

A tendency not to share pains & joys with others. I find it notable that the figure, so lost in his (or her) sadness over the 3 lost cups is normally situated away from a house or dwelling but there often seems to be one in the background, as is the case with the RWS but also many other decks. So, I always see it as someone who doesn't like to share his pain and thus can't really overcome it. I always wonder if he doesn't pick up the 2 remaining goblets because he's afraid he'll spill them too, as if it was his fault he spilled the first three. And then, that makes him a bit careless and unwilling to face responsibility.

If the person in question is anyone you'd consider a romantic relationship with, I'd say it's a particularly bad sign, personally.

autumnsdaughter

Sometimes I see this card and the three of swords connected, just in terms of the emotions involved with both- heartbreak, inconsolable grief. Grieving is one word I really associate with both of the cards, although I feel that the advice given is different. In the 3 of swords, we need to really feel the grief, honor it- and not rush it, because it is real, and painful,yes, but by being able to sit with our grief, it makes us more compassionate people. 3 of swords indicates deep wounds that need time in order to heal.
5 of cups feels similar to the 3 of swords- it *feels* like a deep wound, but it is an overreaction to a perceived loss. Like finding a piece of strange lingerie, and assuming that it means your lover has been untrue, only to find out that they bought it as a Valentine's present for you. The advice is to see the situation as it really is, not as it appears to be. I can see this also appearing as manic-depressive states- someone who is very unbalanced, so one day they have upright cups, the next, all is lost. Severe mood swings, teenage moodiness, anything unbalanced.

willowfox

Bitterness, pessimist, resentful, loneliness, hurting, feels betrayed, a brooder, the silent type.

Thirteen

gorgeousbutterfly said:
i think"pessemisitc" ?? maybe someone who is a cry baby?
Well, one could be kinder than "cry baby" and say "emo." ;)

Mystic Leo

A person that feels remorse, hopeless, regret, mournful, always wishing things were different.

gorgeousbutterfly

Thirteen said:
Well, one could be kinder than "cry baby" and say "emo." ;)

haha to each their own, i rather be called a cry baby , then an emo! an emo has crazy styled hair!

Sebavin

gorgeousbutterfly said:
haha to each their own, i rather be called a cry baby , then an emo! an emo has crazy styled hair!
Please realize there are many different people who are members of this forum.:TWOR. It might be considerate to review your message before posting, as this particular comment seems pernicious in nature.

ofbainbridge

5 of cups-qualities in a person.

Upright this would be someone who could handle emotionally challenging situations...

Reversed this is someone who is going to get caught up in the sorrows of the moment...