"Meditations on the Tarot" in the original French

jmd

If anyone reads French and does not have a copy, I would highly recommend it...

For what it's worth - in case you would like to know more about the book - my review of the translation (I also have the French edition) is here on Aeclectic.

Rusty Neon

Be careful not to pay too much for it on ebay. It is in print and available, for example, through www.amazon.fr .

Fulgour

also of interest...

Covenant of the Heart, by Valentin Tomberg (Element, Rockport, Massachusetts 1992): Written by a true Christian hermeticist, this book is a profound exegesis on humanity's covenant with the Divine as revealed in the Old and New Testaments. If you have never read anything by Valentin Tomberg, you are in for an enlightening journey.

fyreflye

I mention the French original because, apart from the fact that neither French nor English is translator Robert Powell's native language, he has an agenda of his own that tends to color his interpretation of the ideas of others - notably the versions of his dialogues with the advaita master Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.

jmd

And if anyone doubts who the author of Meditations on the Tarot really is, comparisons of a couple of chapters from it and Covenant of the Heart will bring things to light :)

Fulgour

jmd said:
For what it's worth - in case you would like to know more about the book - my review of the translation (I also have the French edition) is here on Aeclectic.
I would be remiss should I fail to mention, jmd's review is fantastic!

sarahbellum

Actually I believe the translator, Robert Powell, is a native of England. He lived in Germany and Switzerland but currently runs the Sophia Foundation in California.

sarahbellum

The Robert Powell who translated the Meditations is apparently not the same Robert Powell who wrote Blissful Life, about Vedanta and Sri Nisargadata Maharaj. I correct myself, though, he does now live in Germany, but is a native English speaker.

full deck

Translator = traitor?

jmd said:
Jean michel, though French is a great language, is there any real difference from the French and the English translation in your opinion? I've read the translated version but not the French.