Need a Marseilles Intervention Please...

Satori

Why did I do it?
My illustrated pips were so familiar.

It won't go into the fire.
But it might hit the compost pile if I don't hear about 10 good reasons why I should keep this Hadar deck in my possession.

You know some of those court cards look like the people need serious medication. And why are they all so short, those people?

What made me think I was ready for this deck. Why doesn't someone publish a Marseilles decks Book for Dummies

Marseilles for Dummies
How to read the cards without 8 years of confinement with historical texts......

I'm on overload.
Sorry I am ranting. I love the deck. I hate the deck.

Rusty Neon

Hang in there, elf! You have previous experience in tarot which you can build on. There are plenty of posts on this forum and people here who can help. Ask questions; don't be shy.

Although the Hadar isn't a Marseilles deck I'd recommend to anyone, if that deck draws you to the world of Marseilles decks, then that deck has served one useful purpose.

TemperanceAngel

Hi elf, maybe we can buddy each other??? I know being a Marseilles newbie myself I am already thinking:

"Is that obvious to most or not?"

"Is this question silly?"

Of course you are ready elf, or else you wouldn't have bought it!

ihcoyc

The step isn't as large as you might imagine. You do not need to unlearn everything you learned using your fully illustrated deck. If you need to, you can begin by just using the suit and number to call to mind the corresponding image from the illustrated deck.

Then think about how the images constrain as well as remind you. For example, the fours are "foursquare," solid, rigid, and seek stability. The fives build on the fours; but where the fours achieve a temporary but limited balance, based on the squareness of the four, the introduction of the five throws that balance off, and indicates an element of surprise, of disruption, of a need to be tested, of habits set aside.

Now begin to think about how you would apply that to the fives of cups, clubs, swords, and coins. Now, some of these ideas are probably suggested by the pictures of your illustrated pips. How can you move beyond the scenes of the picture, and bring in a new range of meanings that come from applying fourness and fiveness to the business of the suits.

(Assuming that you've been through the Waite tradition) you can see that the four of swords might be "conventional thinking" as well as "rest from strife." The four of cups might mean "complacency in a relationship" as well as "ennui." By this art, you can move on and use the advantages of having abstract symbols rather than a picture meant to call to mind someone's interpretation.

Cerulean

Oh Elf, the Munchkins are calling

Semi-silly, trying to cheer you on:

(Elf asks "And why are they all so short, those people...give me ten good reasons to keep this deck...")

1. "Follow the yellow brick road,
Follow the yellow brick road...follow me, follow me..."

2. Notice the Magician is standing on the crossroads of the Yellow Brick Road.

3. You are There, sans red ruby slippers...

4. never mind, buy the Ruby Red Slippers and Click Your Heels

5. And then you come on a field of ....

6. POPPIES!

7. You fall asleep

8. The cowardly lion wakes you up. Refreshed and in good spirits...

9. You look for your shoes and recover them from his mouth.

10. The Wizard Returns and you both hunker down to play cards and it looks a little better than you first thought.

OR
Put Hadar in a box tonight and pretend you will give it away. Sleep on it and when you don't dream of any munchkins, wake up brighter and eager and hopefully, you get five minutes to yourself to check these handsome little
engravings out...and wonder why you would ever dream of giving it away.

OR
You dream of Munchkins. The deck is cursed. Post it on the Trading Exchange and see if you get a Very Good Deal. Find a Swiss Marsiglia or other alternate while fending off offers, so you do not have Marseilles withdrawal.

Seriously, I settled on my Marsiglia 1805 and the inexpensive bigger deck that came from Jane Lyle's Tarot set when I want my Marseilles fix. The Hadar didn't work for me, although the colors are some of the best that I've seen.

I hope some good rest and browsing will help convince you that you are making the right choice for you...whatever Marseilles choice it becomes.

I hope this didn't feel like I was being too silly, in a bad way...trying to make you grin and have a good sleep as you decide what to do...did you check out the Hadar website? It's been a few months since I've looked at it, but from what I recall, it was very encouraging and nice and in English.

Regards,

Cerulean

Diana

elf said:
But it might hit the compost pile if I don't hear about 10 good reasons why I should keep this Hadar deck in my possession.

1. It's good to have at least one deck of each famous Tarot tradition (i.e. Thoth, RWCS and a Marseilles).

2. The backs are beautiful.

3. The fronts are beautiful.

4. The Bateleur is not a ceremonial Golden Dawn magician in a nerdy robe.

5. The Lover card is not a Lovers card.

6. The 3, 9 and 10 of Swords are not scary.

7. The Maison-Dieu (Tower) is not scary.

8. The Devil has a WONDERFUL sense of humour.

9. The Swords are real swords.

10. The Tarot gods like tarologists to own a Marseilles deck.

Jewel-ry

elf,

I know how you feel, I felt the same way. The thing to do is to NOT put yourself under too much pressure to know everything immediately. Have a play and when it gets too heavy or you get too bogged down - put it away and go work with a different deck.

Somedays, you will be in the mood, other days you wont but I guarantee that every now and then, you will discover something that you will feel so totally amazed by, that you will be pleased you still have it.

There is a huge array of information on AT, too much to begin to take on board in one go. Work with one card at a time. Read the threads, follow the links, and make notes.

I got myself a little book which I keep just for TdM, mostly just Hadar in fact, and whenever I read anything or feel anything, I jot it down. Also, go to Hadar's website, it is very good.

I can't give you ten reasons but I do know that anything in life that is worth having, usually takes a lot of hard work and effort to achieve but is generally rewarding.

Stick with it and if it seems futile today, put it away and get it out again tomorrow.

:)

jmd

Ten good reasons why you should keep this Hadar deck in your possession:
  • 1 - because you bought it for some reason which may yet be unveiled;

2 - because you already want to see what it is that people see in the Marseilles, and the Hadar is a wonderful deck to see this through;

3 - because it has all the key elements a Tarot deck needs to have;

4 - because if you give it away, sell it or burn it, you'll probably end up buying another;

5 - because if you shuffle the deck, cut it into three piles, and take the a card randomly from the central pile, you'll see what this deck can bring you;

6 - because another six Aeclecticians have already answered your query;

7 - because you don't need ten good reasons, but only one;

8 - because the next people you talk to about Tarot will want to know about the Marseilles deck;

9 - because working with Tarot is more than working with imagery;

10 - because, most importantly, you want ten good reasons - recognising that there are at least that many!
:):):)

Satori

Many, many thanks....

Okay.
You know any other deck just might sit in the cabinet quivering and wondering what was going to happen to it, but not that Marseilles. That deck is bold as brass tacks sitting there just waiting for me to pick it up so it can spit a pip or just about any card at me and watch me gasping for air.

I had a really good month with it.
Then I started thinking too much about what I don't know.
It's funny.
I watch the girls and they approach new things with a can do attitude. Most kids up to a certain age will try anything, and if it doesn't go well they try again and again....
But suddenly, I know that this Marseilles deck has just laid a gigantic brain freeze on me and I'm locked out.
And, I owe Moongold a Marseilles reading on the exchange.... :(

Anyway, I'm clicking my heels and saying "There's no place like Marseilles, No Place like Marseilles...."

I just turned the compost pile and the deck is still ensconced in the cabinet....and the Hermit smiles his sad smile and holds up his light....

The danger is past.
It is safe.
The lunatic deck is safe, and you are all marching around with one more Marseilles candle burning in your crowns....
Adieu

ihcoyc

Re: Re: Need a Marseilles Intervention Please...

Diana said:

4. The Bateleur is not a ceremonial Golden Dawn magician in a nerdy robe.

And, nobody's got a bent black halo floating mysteriously above their heads. . . .