1971 RWS - AG Muller

fluffy

I recently received a 1971 RWS from a very special member of AT :) I am so attached and have such an affinity with this deck that I am afraid that if I have it out and about something may happen to it! Consequently I was wondering if anyone could tell me which readily available version of the RWS has the exact same colouring as the edition that I have so that I can take this readily available one out and about with me without worrying about it and save my 1971 edition for special readings at home. Alternatively if anyone has a 1971 version which they wished to part with I would be very interested.

Many thanks for any information anyone can provide

Love Fluffy
x

Abrac

Hi fluffy-

I am happy for you in getting this deck you love so much.

I would like to be able to help with your question about another version with the same coloring, but I am a little unclear on what you mean by 1971 RWS. Is there a 1971 date on the cards or the box?

Abrac

Sulis

I would keep a lookout on ebay uk.

The early 1970s Rider decks come up all the time, they are usually in a 2 part blue box with the world dancer on the front... Published by Rider and co.

Fulgour

Hi :) Fluffy! Except for cardstock and lamination changes
there is not a truly BIG difference in colour with the 'Rider'
until the typeset font version, and then it's not so terrible,
by which I mean, if someone has the typeset version they
should not feel too like they are victims of deliberate fraud.

So...look for a copy with the hand-lettered script titles. ;)
The so-called "Original" is another matter. It is different.

Fulgour

The 1971 date on Rider decks, including USGames,
is never about the cards themselves. It just isn't.

1971 was added in the late 70's but really only
applies to Kaplan's little white book. It's bogus.

So you will find cards marked 1971 right up to now,
and you might just as well ignore it. The cards that
were printed beginning in 1971 had no copyright. ;)

fluffy

Fulgour said:
Hi :) Fluffy! Except for cardstock and lamination changes
there is not a truly BIG difference in colour with the 'Rider'
until the typeset font version, and then it's not so terrible,
by which I mean, if someone has the typeset version they
should not feel too like they are victims of deliberate fraud.

So...look for a copy with the hand-lettered script titles. ;)
The so-called "Original" is another matter. It is different.

Do you mean any RWS deck then that doesn't have something infront of the name eg "Radiant RWS" or "Original RWS", as long as it just says RWS and nothing else then the colours are the same? Also how do you know if you are buying a copy with hand-lettered script? Also :) are the drawings the same because I have heard that some versions the detail is terrible on the cards and so you don't see things eg. butterflies on Q Swords. Are these available from say Alida or Tarot garden or playing card sales? eg amazon have the pocket rws:

Paperback
Publisher: Rider & Co (Aug 1991)
Language English
ISBN: 0712651780

is this the same then?

Fulgour said:
So you will find cards marked 1971 right up to now,
and you might just as well ignore it. The cards that
were printed beginning in 1971 had no copyright.

That is a shame 'cause in my book the date says "this edition 1972" and that is my birth year so made the cards more special, does this mean that just the book was printed in 1972 or the cards as well?

Thank you Sulis and Abrac also for you responses, I will definitely keep a look out on ebay I had already been advised to do so, but wasn't sure how common it was to find them there.

Love Fluffy

Fulgour

fluffy said:
That is a shame 'cause in my book the date says "this edition 1972" and that is my birth year so made the cards more special, does this mean that just the book was printed in 1972 or the cards as well?
The only decks I know that have that printed in the
little white books were actually published in 1972...
Do you have a blue box? Is there also printed on the
side of the box a reference to Waddingtons. Yes? ;)
And there is NO copyright printed on each card, yes?

That's like a FIRST EDITION printing. They ARE nice.

Sulis

Fulgour said:
The only decks I know that have that printed in the
little white books were actually published in 1972...
Do you have a blue box? Is there also printed on the
side of the box a reference to Waddingtons. Yes? ;)
And there is NO copyright printed on each card, yes?

That's like a FIRST EDITION printing. They ARE nice.

That's the one I'm talking about...The cards feel so lovely..

It comes up on ebay uk quite often and quite cheaply - keep your eyes peeled and get yourself another copy.

Mine is well used and came without the LWB but it's gorgeous and I love it :)

jerzy

Fluffy, what is the ISBN number on the box, and I was wondering if the cards themselves are gilt edged with gold leaf.

fluffy

Hi Fulgour. yes it is in a blue box and doesn't have a copyright thing on each card, but it doesn't have a reference to Waddingtons on it, it just says:

"Printed for Rider & Company, London by A G Muller & Co Switzerland" on one side and just Riders address on the other side.

Jerzy

It doesn't seem to have an ISBN number, but doesn't have gilt edges on it.

I hope I do see one on Ebay as they are so nice, what do they call them? Just RWS do I just have to check that they have a blue box with the world on the front?

Sulis is it obviously the one you were talking about as it has a picture of the world on the front. If anyone sees one or knows someone who would like to trade or sell please, please let me know.

Fulgour are the colours the same then on the cards that I quoted as the backs appear to be the same (stripy tartan kind of backs) so does this mean that they are the same?

Lots of love

Fluffy