How does your garden grow '07!

Guiding Cauldron

:)

aww i'm glad you liked my garden, i find it heavenly for me at least :)
i dont have any sage yet, what you saw is either my lavender or my mint, they tend to get everywhere! lol

The cast iron chimenea i bought at a local garden center on sale currently- yah! I've been wanting one for a year now, so when it was £60 i grabbed one, its a bronze color but they do it in black, a verdigree, and bronze color. I got it at Van Hages Garden Center. I LOVE it cause you can use anything in it to burn wood, charcoal, etc. Its great to cook BBQ in over the fire and the BBQ tray swings out so its easy to get food in and out. Or you can just use it as a fireplace. :)

*NOTE TO TOM: Ty so much, I got the package today! Lovely, indeed I cant wait to get started!!

sharpchick

Our temperatures have fallen below normal now and we have been getting rain showers and/or thunderstorms every couple of days, making it difficult for me to stay in the garden for long.

I've contented myself with working on the hardscape. For the last five years, I've had a little pre-formed pond (about 430 gallons) that I have minimally aquascaped. The sound of running water is particularly soothing on warm - okay, make that hot - summer nights. But this year I wanted something different in terms of a water feature and when I was reading one of the three home and garden magazines to which I subscribe, I fell in love with the very clean lines of a - get this - galvanized steel stock tank. The one I got from a local agricultural supply company is round and is four feet in daimeter and two feet deep. I dug out the old pond, backfilled the hole and have leveled the surface with pea gravel, whch should prevent some "ucky" splashing of mud onto the sides of the tank during rains. I have my eye on a fountainhead at a local business, and will probably wander over there sometime this rainy weekend to buy it.

A couple of years ago I was the lucky recipient of some good sized snow quartz from a friend who discovered her dream parcel of ground for her home was actually about 3 inches of soil on top of a mountain of natural snow quartz. (She has dug and used a whole lot of it in her own garden, including some huge boulders big enough to climb on that were excavated when the house was being built. But when you live on a small mountain of the stuff, there's more than you can use. I thought she was incredibly generous to tell everyone she knew to please come and get all they could haul away.)

I've used some of mine to enlarge and encircle my outdoor altar. I also added some of the pea gravel inside the circle. I think it will be a comfortable and cool surface for my bare feet during ritual.

ravenest

Your 'pond' sounds great. I've always wanted one in my garden and when I moved to the country I started making one. But then one nigth I visited a neighbour who had a lovely pond and the sound of the frogs was unbelievibly loud (these little frogs that get in the trees around the pond - very LOUD ... all night) Now I know frogs are a sign of healthy environment but .... then my neighbour built a large pond in her front yard and even though they have left and the house is abandon and run down and about 700 mt. away I can still hear her frogs.

But you probably dont have swarms of frogs where you live or those noisey little Aussie tree frogs.

I remember one magical night we discovered the 'Moon Snails' in my friends pond pond ... no one put them in there, don't know where they came from. They are huge translucent water snails a sort of soft white colour that must live down in the deep part, they only come near the surface on dim nights, when you shine a light on them they sort of shrivel up and drop off the pond wall to slowley sink back down into the mysterious moon snail realm ... never seen them before!

Have fun with your pond :)

lark

Lilies!

I got my Brecks Bulb catalog today and there is a $25 dollar off coupon on any order!!!
I'm in heaven... :)
I'm going to order some Oriental Lilies...love them!
You put this little bulb in the ground and every year up comes this beautiful Lily plant full of flowers that looks like it belongs in a tropical garden....

The snows melting!

OHHH my brother-in-law has 7!!! ponds behind us and the sound of the frogs is amazingly loud!
But they shut up once they've mated....})

sharpchick

lark said:
OHHH my brother-in-law has 7!!! ponds behind us and the sound of the frogs is amazingly loud!
But they shut up once they've mated....})

Yeah, then they are busy taking care of all the little tadpoles. . . })

Satori

My motherinlaw starts all our stuff every year. We just lost 500 lisianthus seedlings. She said they were so robust one day and the next they just all started dying. Boo hoo. We love lisi.

We have a head start on some lettuce, and herbs...I'll have to post some pics of my rock gardens. They have been neglected the last two years. This year they will get weeded. I promise!

In them I have:
jonquils
sage
oregano ornamental
oregano herb
bergamot
digitalis
daisy
english daisy which has yet to bloom for me...
lambs ears
daylily
vinca
veronica
melissa
peony
a fairy rose bush
thyme
and of course the odd hosta here and there
a crab apple tree

We have about 40 high bush blueberry bushes
some thornless blackberries
currants
gooseberries

This year we may add some miniature apple trees, most likely liberty and jonahgolds.

Every year we put in almost an acre of vegetables.

Every year we plant loads of sunflowers and even broom corn.

Guiding Cauldron

planted new seeds!

i feel like it was treasure day! i planted more seeds :)
watching ever so carefully to see if they grow well, planted:
azure flowers
golden green beans
sugar peas
lime basil
cherry tomatoes
roma tomatoes
calendula flowers
salad herb greens
rainbow chard

Guiding Cauldron

spring salad!!

had my first spring salad from my garden today-- just heavenly!
baby spinach leaves, baby dandelion leaves, thyme herb, spearmint, peppermint then i had to add 1 tomato and a bit of chinese cabbage from the store to it with a dollop of mayo and a twist of pepper from the mill went great with a baked potato tonight :)

sharpchick

sunshineluvr said:
had my first spring salad from my garden today-- just heavenly!
baby spinach leaves, baby dandelion leaves, thyme herb, spearmint, peppermint then i had to add 1 tomato and a bit of chinese cabbage from the store to it with a dollop of mayo and a twist of pepper from the mill went great with a baked potato tonight :)

I am soooo envious.

I don't have enough space for sunshine loving veggies, so I am mostly content with flowers, shrubs and some potted herbs. Can't wait for the farmer's markets, though.

ravenest

I checked my 'stage 2' compost this morning and I didnt kill all the weeds so I have about 50 corriander seedlings coming up in it ... I've potted the big ones out.

Things have started taking off again, the Asian herby type things - Thai curries coming up - Yum!