Decks you used to love...

Dark_angel

I must confess...

...when I started to learn, I learned the basics using a deck that WASN'T MINE! My boyfriend has a battered copy of Morgan-Greer that he was given but never got around to learning to use, so I borrowed it. The artwork didn't really appeal, and I found the cards a bit shallow, but I knew that tarot was for me. I think I'll have to persuade him to dust it off for old times' sake, but I don't think I'll read with it for a while. Maybe I'll come back to it one day; after all, as the Wheel of Fortune says, everything's cyclical...

brennamor

Well, to be honest

I used to like Robin Wood, Universal Waite and Whimsical. But over time I have to admit that all three have palled on me. I still like Whimsical as a deck to use with children but beyond that - ehh.

I've had other decks that I wanted to like but just never did - Spiral falls into this category as does Spirit of Flowers, Laura Tuan's Celtic deck and the deBurgh Celtic. So off they went. It just goes to prove how personal and unique each person's taste are when it comes to tarot decks.

VGimlet

Aquarian was also my deck of choice, my only deck for a very long time. But while it rests in a very lovely bag, I don't use it anymore. It just doesn't read for me like it used to - it might sound odd, but I almost feel like I used it up.

Now I use the Universal RWS quite a bit, both for reading and study, and plan to branch out to the Thoth, and beyond.

CastleRock

It would have to be the Hanson-Roberts. Seems as though it just tells me what I want to hear, not the truth.

astril

I used the Rider Waite to get a feel for the Tarot. Then I moved to Hanson Roberts. I don't know why, but it really speaks to me when I use it on others, but if I try to read for myself with it, I get very bad impressions.
For myself I use the Wild Spirit. I can connect to it, and I love the Fairy aspect of the deck. I know a few of you have commented on the book and how it was done, but if you give it a chance, and read it all the way through as you use the cards, your readings will be amazing. Also Tarot of the old path is a favorite, both an old favorite and a current favorite.

pentunen

I used to read with the Rider Waite all the time, since it's the deck most beginner's tarot books are based on, but I've barely touched it since I got the Robin Wood.
Most of the symbolism is the same, but the artwork is so much prettier - I guess I'm just a sucker for bright colours and gorgeous drawings :)

- pentu

wolfen045

Like a lot of people I started with RSW .Now I only use it for reading for others. My big favorite for a long time was the Masonic Tarot, but the cards are too large for me to comfortably shuffle. I also went through a phase of using the Tarot of the Ages deck constantly.Now it just sits in my drawer. My current tarot love affair is with the Vampire Tarot. I also recently dug out my Yager Meditation deck to use for (duh) meditation. Blessings, wolfen

Nevada

Faery Wicca Tarot

I started out liking Faery Wicca, but I had trouble reading with it.

Then I was browsing the Internet one day and found an article that said the creator knew nothing about what she was doing when she designed it and that it isn't authentic Celtic. I thought, so what? That's not why I bought it. I told myself that even if the article is correct, I didn't care, I still liked the deck. I kept telling myself that, though I wasn't reading with it. Now I notice I've stuck it on a back shelf and when I take it out I feel entirely disenchanted. I just don't enjoy it anymore. I never could read with it very well.

It's my least favorite of my decks. I'm going to get rid of it. Bleh.

But then, maybe I never did really love it, if I discarded it so easily.

Scion

Was digging around for something and found this thread buried; would love to hear people's responses.

My choice for "used-to-read" deck would be the Wonderland. Which seemed so quirky and clever when I was obsessed with Lewis Carroll 20 years ago, and now all I can see is the design compromises and thoughtlessness.

Anyone else want to speak up?

Sulis

World Spirit - it was my one and only reading deck for ages - hardly ever use it now.

Love

sulis xx