Crowley Thoth deck?

Isisrana

hello there-

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the Crowley Thoth deck? I got a reading from someone at a local shop and she used them and I was strangely attracted to to them. Im sure it was mostly the art work, but the pcitures seem so powerfull and mystical. Anyone have them that likes them better, or hates them?
Are they easy to understand?
Any advice on getting them?
-Rana

cerwinrhiannon

You can get them at most New Age stores. It's a great deck,
esp. if you're into symbolism. I learned all of my basic
symbolism from this deck. It's pretty easy to read with too,
although not as easy as simple decks like the Hanson Roberts.

thinbuddha

It's certainly more difficult than some of the other decks because the numbered pips aren't illustrated with scenes, but they do have a keyword on each card, so that helps.

I'd shop on ebay- you can pick up a deck less than $10 if you are patient.

At the moment, it is my favorite deck, so I guess it has my endorsement- go buy it!

Elven

I have a saucy attraction to my Thoth deck! :angel: I love it, but I dont read enough with it. I often combine it with an Oracle deck - the Sabian Symbols - because one is so visionary (Thoth) and the other is so practical (Sabians). They work in well together for me.

I was warned against reading with them when I first started - I was told they were too complicated for me. I couldn't wait to go and buy the deck after that })!! LOL!!

Blessings
Elven x

Scion

Hey Rana,

I HIGHLY recommend the Thoth deck for any number of reasons. In fact, you can check out a lengthy, detailed response in another thread posting a similar question.

But in brief, the Thoth is one of the most important Tarots of the 20th century. It is a rich deck that gives readings ranging from the hilarious to the sublime; also great for meditation and pathworking if you have interests in that direction. It is a fantastic tool to explore everything from Qabala to Alchemy to Astrology. The art is rich boioth visually and esoterically; not only is it spectacular but it it actually means something because Lady Harris took years to create it with the painstaking supervision of Crowley. And you can find the Thoth available on eBay for under $5 if you dig around.

If you do decide to take the plunge, I heartily recommend you pick up a copy of Lon DuQuette's book Understanding the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot which is a superb intro both to the deck and it's creators' thought/work. And then once you've got a handle, you should tackle Crowley's own book on the deck, The Book of Thoth. It's packed with juicy mojo.

And definitely poke your head into the Thoth forum Sulis mentioned. It's a blast in there. :party:

Hope this helps,

Scion