What does it really mean, to be a Reader?

Nevada

I'm also one who doesn't like labels. But definitions make sense. Here's mine:

A Tarot reader is someone who can interpret card meanings from at least one Tarot deck (defined, for me, as 78 cards with 22 Trumps, 16 Courts and 40 Pip cards), singly or in groups of cards called spreads.

That's pretty much it. Anything else added onto that may define one's degree of ability, knowledge, wisdom base, hobby, spiritual path, business, or occupation, but without being able to do that one thing, I wouldn't call someone a Tarot reader.

To me it also means ... happiness. :)

Nevada

I made an assumption that the question was about what it means to be a Tarot reader.

Nevada

.traveller. said:
What about those who read runes or other non-card forms? Are they not readers? Is it the interpretation of symbolism that is important, or the form that holds the symbolism?
I hadn't seen this earlier.

That's an even more loosely defined activity. I'd define reader as someone who can derive, interpret, or extract meaning from whatever it is they read.

ETA: But unless we're more specific about what we're reading, it could define anyone who reads books, weather patterns, stock reports, ledgers...

balenciaga

I was called to it, and it did not begin with tarot. Ouiji board, talismans, superstitions and old wives tales, dream interpretation, astrology, you name it. I am also one of those people who looks for patterns, for symbols, for answers. And one must be sensitive to emotions (your own and others/empath), to art. There is a "feeling" when one reads the cards - as in, feeling one's way through the reading (I read/pick up on energy, usually). If the energy flows positively, I follow it. If it blocks me, I swerve.

The crowned one

Nevada said:
I hadn't seen this earlier.

That's an even more loosely defined activity. I'd define reader as someone who can derive, interpret, or extract meaning from whatever it is they read.

ETA: But unless we're more specific about what we're reading, it could define anyone who reads books, weather patterns, stock reports, ledgers...

I took it to mean tarot as this is the "talking tarot" forum.