Knitted spreadcloths

rwcarter

In the early 90s after I began with tarot, I decided to knit a spreadcloth for the Celtic Cross spread. (I got the idea from the cloth that comes with the Mythic Tarot, which was my first deck.) It was 2 color badly stranded intarsia out of worsted weight acrylic, so it ended up being more rug thickness. I sized the blocks for the cards to match my Mythic deck. It ended up with uneven edges and little hills and valleys depending on where color changes occurred. I finished it, but never used it. It finally went into a bag in the closet where it stayed through 2 moves. I finally threw the thing out sometime in the last 7 years or so, so now it's sitting in some landfill somewhere. (I didn't know about being green at the time!)

Rodney

.traveller.

Nevada said:
Good idea. I have my black cotton velvet, but I'm always up for some variety, and I like a spread cloth with some texture for my more slippery cards to hold onto. Crochet would work great too.

That's the word I was looking for, "texture"! I read at my desk and I often find myself wishing for a cloth to go between me and my keyboard because the keyboard 'tray' is slippery. The spreadcloths I have, a velveteen and 2 cotton ones, weren't doing the job and it's because they are too smooth.

One for a celtic cross?! That would be huge, mine is just something long and narrow for a single row of baba-sized cards.

Morwenna

My first thought would be plain stockinette, with a decorative border, square overall. But what many of you said about texture being desired for traction, I might reconsider. I never thought of knitting a spreadcloth, but whyever not!!

Rev_Vesta

ohhh interesting thread........... got me thinking...............

love one in purple.........and black............maybe with a pentacle in the middle or the Four suits in some way..... my mind is going wild in thoughts......

let me do some readings so i can buy some Wool, needles etc..........lol...

I'll let you know when i get started....lol and if i finish.....lol

Vesta

Morwenna

And you'll post pix when you're done, right? :D