How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swimming in tarot

That's funny, Kalliope, all day yesterday I had the song "We'll all be merry when I marry Mary Mack" on my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3sOA6yQc4A

merry, Mary, cherry
but: marry, carry, Harry

I'd be interested in hearing the difference between merry and Mary.

kalliope

Take a bow -'bough' or 'bhow'
Tie a bow - 'beau'

Exactly! It's hard to know which OW (or TEAR) is meant unless you provide some rhymes or examples. That's why I vote for ROE or ROH (TAIR or TARE) instead. (But as we've seen above, TAIR isn't quite right for many people either, so I don't know how we can win, heh.)

But eeesh, your poor poll is seeming doomed! (Doomed in the sense of valid results, anyhow.) Such a good idea, but as you say, not easy!

Oh, English... :grin:

kalliope

That's funny, Kalliope, all day yesterday I had the song "We'll all be merry when I marry Mary Mack" on my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3sOA6yQc4A

merry, Mary, cherry
but: marry, carry, Harry

I'd be interested in hearing the difference between merry and Mary.

Haha, that song sounds like a pronunciation nightmare! I still have trouble with the merry vs Mary one. But I know to locals here and to my husband, it's clear as day!

Marry I've got down. I learned to channel my inner Martha Stewart or Maria Shriver for that one. ;) (Since to midwestern ears, when an American says it, it initially feels like an affectation, like one is putting on airs. But when a UK English person says the same thing it sounds normal, of course!)

kalliope

Yes, New England is strange. I once knew a guy from Maine who said "TAY-co" instead of "TAH-co" when talking about Mexican food.

Now that's just weird! :bugeyed:

swimming in tarot

The Italians themselves might say ee-TAlia, though I don't speak eye-, ee-, or i-talian, myself, to know for sure.

paperfolder

Tarot rhymes with sparrow..

Precisely the way I pronounce it. Didn't really see this pronunciation as one of the poll selections, but I chose TAR-oh as the closest approximation. In my humble opinion, the pronunciation examples in the poll could have been made a bit less ambiguous if "rhymes with" explanations had been used.

Barleywine

There are people that say 'Eye-talian', but the name of the country is pronounced 'IT-aly', not 'EYE-taly'!

Well yes, my grandparents were from New Brunswick, Canada, and both said "Eye-talian" and "Ty-ota." She also said Porco Rican, but that's another story :)

prudence

I think the first choice is the closest approximation to how I pronounce it.

Growing up back east (New England) I remember I used to pronounce it as tear-oh. I really don't know when I started saying it differently. Weird.