Help.

greenandroses

Hi greenandroses! I can certainly understand and remember that feeling of being overwhelmed as one approaches the Tarot. I will begin by saying that, for me anyway, there is no real end to "learning" the Tarot. I don't mean to discourage at all, but to let you know that in some respect, I'm still right there with you. The thing is, the more I learn about Tarot, the more that those insights lead me to learn even more things about Tarot.

There are a lot of different approaches to learning the Tarot. For me, I approached it largely from a memorizing aspect; I started with a book that had good explanations of the main symbolisms seen in each card coupled with the upright and reversed meanings of each card. I would look over a card and see what struck me initially, then read the entry in the book while examining the card. Then add in the meanings (reversing the card when reading the reversed meaning). I'm a child of the '50's and '60's and this is how we learned when I was in school - you memorized, then put it into practice.

Now, having said that, it worked for me, but there are a lot of other ways of learning. I have to say that trying to learn both the upright and reversed meanings of the cards may have taken me a bit longer. But for me, it meant that I was learning both "positive" and "negative" aspects of the cards which, I feel, gave me a pretty good knowledge base. (The book I used was "The Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Gray. It is an old book but I feel a very good one to start with. I also found "78 Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollak to be an excellent one as well.)

Since then, I've learned in other ways. For example, studying the "Fools Journey" to learn the Major Arcana. And when I mentioned to an acquaintance of mine that I was struggling with the Court Cards, she suggested I look at them from the point of view of a dragon being seen in each "Kingdom" (each suit being a "Kingdom") - how will the Pages report the news to the Knights, how will the Knights react to the news, what will the Queens have to say and how will the Kings decide to handle the situation. Then too, I just recently (after 25 years of learning) had a whole story line pop into my head for the Ace through the Ten of Wands (it's posted here if you'd like to read it).

So, I personally would suggest that you give yourself a good grounding in the Rider-Waite symbolisms and the "standard" meanings of the cards. This will give you a solid foundation to build on as you start doing readings for yourself and others. So, while it may seem a daunting task at first, if you start with small steps and work through the deck it will get easier as you go along. As you learn what a symbol means in one card, you'll have an idea of what it means when you see it in another card. Also, as you go along, just learning one card is not such a big task - one card at a time is what worked for me to start with.

Another good place to start is Thirteen's Tarot Card Meanings here on Aeclectic Tarot. You'll find the Fool's story there (start with the Fool card, then the Magician and so on). It should help give you some insight into the Majors. Then work through the suits and so on. There is also Thirteen's Introduction to Tarot Card Meanings which discusses some approaches to learning.

Finally; start a "journal". For me, that has been a couple of things. One is a notebook where I can write what I'm learning about the cards. Do one page for each card ... maybe even the front and back of a page. Write the initial meanings you learn, then as you think of other, expanded meanings, write those down too. Writing helps you to learn. My journal pages have a few notes at the top of the page concerning prominent symbols on the card, then a section for upright meanings and then a section for reversed meanings. I expand these on a semi-regular basis when I learn a new way that it applies to real people and situations. My other journal (well several now) is notes on readings I've done, especially my self-readings - the question, deck used, date and what cards I pulled and what interpretations I came up with.

Oh, and don't forget, you can come to these forums with your questions! The people here are very helpful and I've learned a lot here.

Learning Tarot is entirely worth the journey. Just studying it can open many new ways of thinking and looking at the world. Then there is being able to use the Tarot to help yourself to look beyond the day to day existence, and being able to help others to see other ways of looking at things.

Yep. Sorry. This post got a bit longer than I intended. But I hope it helps. Try not to be discouraged, it seems like a big task, but it is very doable.
Memorizing is what I will start with. Maybe just memorizing one meaning about the card first then add on later hopefully. What about me using index cards to learn them by memory? Or is that a bit much? Lol. Thank you for the book recommendations! Will be adding these to the list of the books that I need to go check out! And I also will be looking at thirteen's tarot card meaning and the introduction card meanings. And with a journal I have about 5 notebooks sitting around so will finally put them to use. I Dont mind how long this is, I'm just glad you replied with tips and such! Thank you!

DJP

As someone once said, "If you're not sure what to do, just start."

Why not ask a question while you're shuffling your deck.... pick a card.... look up it's meaning..... and then try see how it might apply to your question/situation?

Give it a go.... it's super fun, I promise.

Also, here's a thread on advice for beginners (like myself).
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=274922

Peace.

MysticMoonlight

I remember just starting out and feeling like I'd never learn it all and you know what, I still haven't! I'm five years in (not very long to some here I know) to my Tarot journey and I'm still learning and always will. Tarot, in my opinion, isn't something you will completely master, ever...although some people will be better at it or have more experience than others, I just bet that even they learn something new about it or from it on occasion :)

Pace yourself. I read everything I could get my hands on about Tarot and still do. I played with the cards as often as I felt I wanted to (which was a lot, by my personal choice) I watched endless YouTube videos and one day joined right here at AT. I've learned SO much here. It has been immensely helpful to my journey. I kept and still keep a Tarot journal. I started out pulling a card for the day and I'd diary about the feelings I'd get from the card, what images would stand out to me, who the characters in the cards reminded me of, etc. That really, really helps me even now.

Dusty White has a type of "workbook" that some people say really helped them learn a lot. Nancy Antennuci and Melanie Howard's book 'Psychic Tarot' is a good one. It gives exercises that have been really helpful for me. Joan Bunning's book 'Learning the Tarot' was the first Tarot book I ever used, I love it.

Find what works for you and do that. Some journal, some meditate with the cards, some take courses. It will likely be different for everyone.

Good luck with your journey.

AmomentOfMusic

Whenever I start something new, I like having built in structure, someone to tell me "do this and then that" to get me going. So my recommendation if finding a course you can follow along with. I personally recommend the free lessons at http://www.learntarot.com/ by Joan Bunning. Ignore the circa 1998 production values of the website, it's super useful. I still use it to look up card meanings to this day! Another course suggestion is the one at the Alternative Tarot Course by Little red Tarot (http://littleredtarot.com/). It's pretty cheap and once again provides a good rigid structure to get you going. I loved the exercises in this course, they really get you playing and connecting with your cards. Finally, if all else fails and you are still overwhelmed then try the 2-hour tarot tutor book. It's a great book that helps you dive into the deep end, to start reading without overthinking it too much. It won't get into the nuts and bolts of reading, but if you want something to just get you started, you can't go wrong.

Once you get going, you'll start feeling more confident about what avenue you want to explore, and it will feel less overwhelming I promise!

greenandroses

As someone once said, "If you're not sure what to do, just start."

Why not ask a question while you're shuffling your deck.... pick a card.... look up it's meaning..... and then try see how it might apply to your question/situation?

Give it a go.... it's super fun, I promise.

Also, here's a thread on advice for beginners (like myself).
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=274922

Peace.
Thank you! You all are going to make me dive right in tonight, once I put my children to bed!

greenandroses

I remember just starting out and feeling like I'd never learn it all and you know what, I still haven't! I'm five years in (not very long to some here I know) to my Tarot journey and I'm still learning and always will. Tarot, in my opinion, isn't something you will completely master, ever...although some people will be better at it or have more experience than others, I just bet that even they learn something new about it or from it on occasion :)

Pace yourself. I read everything I could get my hands on about Tarot and still do. I played with the cards as often as I felt I wanted to (which was a lot, by my personal choice) I watched endless YouTube videos and one day joined right here at AT. I've learned SO much here. It has been immensely helpful to my journey. I kept and still keep a Tarot journal. I started out pulling a card for the day and I'd diary about the feelings I'd get from the card, what images would stand out to me, who the characters in the cards reminded me of, etc. That really, really helps me even now.

Dusty White has a type of "workbook" that some people say really helped them learn a lot. Nancy Antennuci and Melanie Howard's book 'Psychic Tarot' is a good one. It gives exercises that have been really helpful for me. Joan Bunning's book 'Learning the Tarot' was the first Tarot book I ever used, I love it.

Find what works for you and do that. Some journal, some meditate with the cards, some take courses. It will likely be different for everyone.

Good luck with your journey.
Will be checking out these workbooks! I never thought to journal about who the cards remind me of or even the feelings I will get when pulling cards. Thank you will be adding these to tips for journaling! ❤

greenandroses

Whenever I start something new, I like having built in structure, someone to tell me "do this and then that" to get me going. So my recommendation if finding a course you can follow along with. I personally recommend the free lessons at http://www.learntarot.com/ by Joan Bunning. Ignore the circa 1998 production values of the website, it's super useful. I still use it to look up card meanings to this day! Another course suggestion is the one at the Alternative Tarot Course by Little red Tarot (http://littleredtarot.com/). It's pretty cheap and once again provides a good rigid structure to get you going. I loved the exercises in this course, they really get you playing and connecting with your cards. Finally, if all else fails and you are still overwhelmed then try the 2-hour tarot tutor book. It's a great book that helps you dive into the deep end, to start reading without overthinking it too much. It won't get into the nuts and bolts of reading, but if you want something to just get you started, you can't go wrong.

Once you get going, you'll start feeling more confident about what avenue you want to explore, and it will feel less overwhelming I promise!
Will definitely be doing some free lessons in my spare time! Im really excited. In general I have no confidence with anything. I second guess myself a lot. I wonder when gaining confidence with tarot will I be gaining confidence in all aspect of my life? Hmm...

MysticMoonlight

You're most welcome! Happy Taroting!

nisaba

But anyways my question is how did you begin to learn tarot?

It's a lifetime journey - I picked up my first deck in the 1970s, and I'm still learning today. Anyone who thinks they've mastered it, have reached the stage I had after a few years - before I knew enough to be able to notice the great, gaping holes in my knowledge and how infinite the learning-process is. Don't be too hard on yourself.

What did you do to not get overwhelmed so quickly with the cards?

Don't: expect miracles of yourself. Don't try and memorise meanings by rote.

Do: look at your cards playfully and with appreciation. Do throw a few out every so often, and instead of trying to read them, make up imaginative stories about the actual images (not the meanings) running first right-to-left then left-to-right (and see how different those stories are).

The meanings really emerge and sink into your mind when you are comfortable with your decks and very familiar with how they look. Go for it.

SilverFirePrime

I stick with simple readings for the most part.. Past/present/future, what does this card say tomorrow will bring? Then I'll read up on what the card's meaning is. Sometimes I can't make heads or tails of it, or be off on my interpretation by a mile. However, there will be times when the reading ends up being dead-on, and those are the moments that really stick with me and help me remember what this card is for.

A while back I did a spirit guide reading and pulled the 9 of swords for 'What is my spirit guide trying to help me with'. I didn't recall ever getting a 9S so I did some research on it, and was floored by what I read, as it can represent a lot of fear and anxiety that you are over-exaggerating in your head. That might be my number one struggle right now.

Another time I did a reading for 'what will tomorrow bring?' And I got the 4 of swords. "Rest? Why is tomorrow bringing rest for me? I have a flag football game in the morning and then have to do all kinds of housework in the afternoon. During the game i severely sprained a finger on my dominant hand early on, causing me to sit out most of the game and then doing nothing for the rest of the day except icing down my finger and watching football.

Times like these cement the card meanings for me.