Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

rwcarter

Jamil,

Congrats on a good first week with the RW! If you do hit any bumps in the road during your IDS, we're all here for you.

I've just finished posting my third study method to the AET Study group. First I studied the cards individually. Then I studied them according to their astrological associations. The last study was along the lines of their Tarot Constellations. (See thread of the same title in the Books and Media forum if you'd like more details.) Next up, I'm going to see if the Seven Stations (an old, old thread in Using Tarot Cards, I believe) works with this deck.

I've done another reading for an AT member and that went really well.

As soon as the puppy wakes up off my left arm, I plan on doing QJ's Egyptian Five Bodies spread for myself.

This thread has been pretty quiet of late. Do I need to start doling out (kinder and gentler) kicks in the behind? :laugh: }) :laugh:

Rodney

Promise

The past few days have been pretty much completely unproductive in terms of my IDS. I've done no real studying and absolutely no journal writing, but I've been meditating on the cards and doing some simple spell-work. With all the hurricane stress buzzing around here, I've been doing lots of light-work and just trying to put out some generally positive vibes into the Universe.

I've been a bad kitty and I did order the Touchstone Tarot, but I didn't specifically say that I wouldn't be buying more decks.

On a serious note, I'm not sure if I'm going to IDS with the full Greenwood deck or just stick with the Majors and the Courts. It seems a little silly to study the Minors that have pretty specific keywords on them, but I don't know. I mean, how many things are there to say about Protection or Home or Insecurity? They are what they are. I'll have to give it a lot of thought and try to come up with something. I'll definitely have to put some serious study into these Court cards, though.

The studying I've done so far really has been fascinating, and gives me a great reason to sit down and talk with my paternal grandparents, who were both born and raised in Ireland. My grandmother is the one who got me into Tarot in the first place, and she sees a lot of things in the Greenwood that I don't and it's really nice to be able to share what we're seeing in the cards and I love it when something sparks a memory or a story in her. My grandparents are both fabulous storytellers and this deck and its Celtic roots seem to offer a lot of opportunities for that.

Happy weekend everyone! To my fellow Southerns, be careful in this icky hurricane weather!

rwcarter

Promise said:
The past few days have been pretty much completely unproductive in terms of my IDS. I've done no real studying and absolutely no journal writing, but I've been meditating on the cards and doing some simple spell-work. With all the hurricane stress buzzing around here, I've been doing lots of light-work and just trying to put out some generally positive vibes into the Universe.
I'd most definitely call meditating on the cards and light spell work productive use of your cards!

Promise said:
On a serious note, I'm not sure if I'm going to IDS with the full Greenwood deck or just stick with the Majors and the Courts. It seems a little silly to study the Minors that have pretty specific keywords on them, but I don't know. I mean, how many things are there to say about Protection or Home or Insecurity? They are what they are.
Yeah, that's the double-edged sword with keywords on the frigging cards, isn't it? How about we all put some vibes out there to deck creators to stop putting keywords on the cards! Include them in the LWB or companion book, but leave them off the cards for goodness sakes!

As for those keywords you listed, can you list the things you might want to protect that are related to that particular card, why you would want to protect them, what protection means to you, etc? As for Home, there's the saying, "Home is where the heart is." What makes a place feel like home to you? What other places do you consider home? What, if anything, is the difference between a house and a home to you? And for insecurity, what does that mean to you? Is it physical, mental, emotional? (I'm not familiar with the Greenwood deck.) How do you overcome insecurity? How does insecurity make you feel?

Hope that helps you think of ways to deal with the minors.

Rodney

thorhammer

The Greenwood has keywords??? Well. That's just added a whole new dimension to my desire for it! Or should I say, subtracted a dimension? I dislike keywords :(.

I know, I've been fairly absent recently. I'm stuck, stuck, STUCK on the last five cards! Well, really, stuck before them! I really need to get my finger out, and today's rainy and I just got my darling beautiful cat back :) so it might be a great time to sit and do some work with those last cards. Then I can complete my huge Word document and finish posting to the Study Group.

Then I guess I'm not gonna be welcome here . . . ;) for a while at least!

I am starting to think I want to take a different approach to Tarot for a while. The IDS has been awesome, but I might now want to work on a different aspect of Tarot than just the deck - I'm considering the Shadow Work book by Christine Jette, which I have and have started reading, but I want to use my Tarot of the Secret Forest for it, so I haven't begun yet.

Reading with different decks has been good. It was a bit rusty, not seeing the same images all the time :bugeyed: but I remembered how beautiful the Universal Fantasy was, and how talkative the DruidCraft . . .

But focus!! Focus on the last five cards!

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

thorhammer said:
Then I guess I'm not gonna be welcome here . . . ;) for a while at least!
Banish the thought! Were it not for you and your efforts, there may not be an IDS. For that reason alone, you're always welcome here! Plus, who's gonna keep the list up? :laugh:s and ducks.....

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:
Plus, who's gonna keep the list up? :laugh:s and ducks.....
What? I'm supposed to do a list??

}) :laugh:

\m/ Kat

Hemera

Hi guys :)
I have been chosen by the Faerie Tarot (Hertz) to study it very intensively and so I´d love to join you..I think :D
I´m not sure what you do here exactly, but my deck is telling me to join nevertheless :thumbsup:
I have been journaling and drawing daily cards and writing in the Study Group threads for this deck and I´d like to do even more..I´m not sure what that would be but I think this may be the place to find out?

thorhammer

Hemera said:
Hi guys :)
I have been chosen by the Faerie Tarot (Hertz) to study it very intensively and so I´d love to join you..I think :D
I´m not sure what you do here exactly, but my deck is telling me to join nevertheless :thumbsup:
I have been journaling and drawing daily cards and writing in the Study Group threads for this deck and I´d like to do even more..I´m not sure what that would be but I think this may be the place to find out?
Hi, Hemera :) I've been seeing your posts in the Study Group for that Tarot and am intrigued - it looks like a wonderful deck and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Feel free to familiarise yourself with this thread and the last one (though I know they're huge!). Most of us dedicate ourselves to just one deck and pledge to use that deck only for a period of time, which may or may not be stipulated. One of the most powerful things about this whole journey is abstaining from all other decks. This, IMO, is because when you hit a wall with one deck, you move to the next, and never really reach through that limiation on understanding. It's in the darkest moments that I've found the brightest jewels, here.

That having been said, I'm no poster child, recently. Look to Emily for faithfulness, or Scion for wide-eyed wonder at the depths of one deck, or Rodney for sheer thoroughness :D.

And welcome! I'll add you to the list . . . wherever this list may be :D })

\m/ Kat

Hemera

thorhammer said:
Feel free to familiarise yourself with this thread and the last one (though I know they're huge!).
Yes, they are huge, so this is a bit of a problem:) But I keep going through the old posts and learning as I go along..

thorhammer said:
And welcome! I'll add you to the list . . . wherever this list may be :D })

\m/ Kat
Thank you :love:

Hemera

thorhammer said:
Hi, Hemera :) I've been seeing your posts in the Study Group for that Tarot and am intrigued - it looks like a wonderful deck and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
\m/ Kat
Oh yes, and thank you for this! I was beginning to fear no-one reads them so your comment made my day:D