Llewellyn new releases

zander770

i too . . .

have been awaiting kraig's _tarot & magick_ and was psyched when barbara moore mentioned it in nov 02's "new worlds" catalog!

llewellyn has the easiest telephone number in the world to remember, too!

1.800.THE MOON

~770
:TMAGE

Major Tom

Re: Four Decks Used in this Book

Ophiel said:
I know Kraig for his book on Modern Magick, and oddly enough, I seem to find it at a local Borders Outlet (sells overstock and discontinued books at a fraction of retail.)

I have his Modern Sex Magick and would buy another title but when you add tarot to the equation it really appeals. Isn't it odd how real quality seems to find the market difficult? })

Ophiel said:
There are others, mind you, like Franz Bardon, or even the Ciceros' new Golden Dawn traditions, Dennings/Phillips' system, etc. etc.

The first book I really worked at was Denning & Phillips' The Magick of the Tarot. I still have my treasured copy.

Ophiel said:
Kraig references four decks of cards throughout this book: the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot (Ciceros), the Universal Tarot by De Angelis, the Thoth Tarot by Crowley (painted by Harris), and for deeper psychological tapping, the darker major-only Shadow Tarot by Linda Falorio.

I have the Universal Tarots by de Angelis and also the Thoth (Harris/Crowley). So far, I've used the Universal for my work with Tarot in 10 Minutes by R.T. Kaser (thanks Tarotbear). Somehow I suspect Major Tom's Tarot will work just fine. })

Ophiel said:
I hope that more books on the other uses of Tarot continue to come out in print, adding a whole new dimension to the study of cards.

I do too. I certainly want this one. })

Ophiel

Wow, I'm liking this book! Kraig wrote a really interesting chapter on using the cards (and candles, and oil, and incense) for basic spells. The choice of cards is very open, and the ceremony is much like a basic witchcraft candle affair. Actually, Phillip Cooper has an interesting new book called "Esoteric Cabalah and Magic" that has some nifty exercises for scrying the cards, too. I really like the Cooper book. If his particular slant on things has been written up before, I haven't tripped on it.

Kraig has another very open chapter on astral projecting, using the cards and the Tree. It's not new information, but he does put it together nicely in a very coherent package.

Again, I'll try NOT to keep posting like this because I do understand that if what I'm saying sounds good to you, too, waiting for the book is that much more difficult. THAT I can definitely empathize with.

I promise I'll keep the chapter on sex magick and the Tarot to myself.

Ophiel

Deck clarifications

Regarding the four decks used by Kraig in his book, the Shadow Tarot by Linda Falorio appears to be out of print, according to Tarot Garden. This is a deck of majors only.

And the Universal Tarot, this is the De Angelis deck (which I stated) not to be confused with the Waite Universal (colored by Mary Hansen-Roberts.)

JosephMartin

The Compass: Guide to the Quest Tarot

Hints of the many uses for the Tarot.

Chapter: Party Games... (?)

Yes, even party games. The one I like the most from the book is Tarot Poker. This is played quite like traditional poker, but with a few twists. The biggest twist is that you have a deck with 79 cards. (not a typo) and it can even be played with all 80 cards. Unfortuneatly, I must admit, it is not explained well in the book. The next reprint will correct that. Until then I promise to post the reference guide FREE at the site. It will be up by the end of Feb. and hopefully sooner.

You can look for it at the FREE Downloads section of the site, (currently under construction) www.questtarot.com

It's important to have fun with this medium. I keep one deck for fun and one for readings. That seems to work well. If you can figure out more fun ways to use the Tarot drop me a line.

email: joseph@questtarot.com

...who know it may make it into the next reprint.

yours in the cards,
Joseph