The Llewellyn Tarot-The Fool

easternsunrise

Peredur is shown jumping his white pony across a falls into the unknown. A white dog jumps along with him and they begin the journey that takes him to Arthur's castle. This scene has some simmilarities to the traditional fool card in that it shows the beginning of a journey into an unknown direction but Peredur seems to have a bit more energy going into it...in fact I'm not sure his dog will be able to keep the same pace for very long. Peredur also carries a few belongings in a sack. I noticed the right side of the card shows a bit brighter scene than the left -suggesting a bright future. If you look closely a rainbow can be seen by the right lower corner of the card. A rainbow is often a symbol of a bridge between two worlds and promises to be kept.

PolarBear

Hi easternsunrise,
I know what you mean about the energy in this card. The RW clones usually have a fool kinda tripping along (probably singing "la la la"!).

This fool is not tripping, he's hurtling; he's a fool on a mission! This gives him a sense of purpose that I feel is generally absent from the traditional renditions. This is not a card of serendipity, I think, but concentrates more on a sense of innocent enthusiasm.

And I think you're right - that poor dog is gonna get wet!

Cheers,

Polarbear

Ambrosia

I definately agree about all the comments made so far except the one about the dog. To me the dog looks more than capable of keeping up, theyre companions, in it together for the long haul. IMHO anyway. The dog is leaping over the narrowest part of the ravine. The rider seems to know the dog will keep up, not faltering for a second, and the dog is trusting also. its a divine leap, a leap of faith, and that will pull them through.

PolarBear

I gather that one of the meanings for this card is the need to make a decision about something. The energy of the fool in this deck suggests to me that once the decision is made it should be acted upon with some gusto. You can't junp accross a ravine in a half hearted manner (or not if you want to reach the other side!) It does look to me, though, as if the fool is going to make it easily - so the card also suggests reassurance about your ability to carry out any actions required

Ann Yu

This card for me is full of energy. The knight in the picture is more rush and more speed...
The dog is not nipping on his kneels. I feel that it is not there to warn him the danger but it totally listens to him and serves him with all its emthusiasm. Maybe he's making a folly choice but above all, he dedicates all his heart to his dreams.

SherryZoned

Lots of energy in this card. He is determined to get where he is going.

Anyone else see faces of creatures in this card? Like in the lower left corner where leaves and the rock meet? or is it just me studying the card to hard.
If there are creatures he is undeterred. They don't bother him he is on his way.

Sanctum_Priest

I think the following story combines both the traditional element of a Fool and the "man on a mission". I think the choice of Peredur for this card is inspired:

Peredur son of Efrawg tells the story of Peredur's education as a knight. It begins with his birth and secluded upbringing as a naive boy by his widowed mother. When he meets a group of knights, he joins them on their way to King Arthur's court. Once there, he is ridiculed by Cei and sets out on further adventures, promising to avenge Cei's insults to himself and those who defended him. While travelling he meets two of his uncles. The first trains him in arms and warns him not to ask the significance of what he sees. Whilst at the castle of his second uncle he sees a salver containing a man's severed head. The young knight does not ask about significance of these items and proceeds to further adventure, including a stay with the Nine Witches of Gloucester and the encounter with the woman who was to be his true love, Angharad Golden-Hand. Eventually, the hero learns the severed head at his uncle's court belonged to his cousin, who had been killed by the Nine Witches of Gloucester. Peredur avenges his family and is celebrated as a hero.