Tarot of a Moon Garden

Ambrosia

Do any of you use this deck? Does it read well for you? This was my first deck about ten years ago. before that I used to borrow my friends rider waite. I bought this deck because I liked the artwork best out of what was available as far as decks go in the small town I was in at the time. One thing leads to another as alot of you know, and we move on, acquire other decks which I have more of an affinity with. anyway, I digress, For the most part, I got good readings with moon garden but I found several cards to be lacking in symbolism which made them difficult at times, several were very similar and I would often get stumped on them. I love the majors but the minors are somewhat lacking I find. Am thinking of giving it another go as it does hold some good memories and vibes for me. Anyone else use or used this deck? what are your thoughts? any advice? maybe It will read better for me after a few years practice with other decks and a bit more knowledge under my belt. What say you?

Scarlet27

Hi there! When I read this I thought there should be a thousand threads on this deck, so I checked with the "search this thread" button and I got these for you =)
Hope you find everything you need, if not you can keep trying entering the keywords in the search engine of the forum.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102578
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93793
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=89686
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74605
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=14795

Best wishes~

Ambrosia

Scarlet27 said:
Hi there! When I read this I thought there should be a thousand threads on this deck, so I checked with the "search this thread" button and I got these for you =)
Hope you find everything you need, if not you can keep trying entering the keywords in the search engine of the forum.

Best wishes~

Thankyou Scarlet. :)

stefficus

ambrosia, i just bought this deck from another ATer (thanks, pippi!) and though i looked at scans of the cards before doing so, when i actually got the deck i thought, OMG, i've bought a deck of fuzzy posters. the hermit is looking at a giant butterfly, there are dragonflies on all the swords, and the sun card has a My Little Pony on it. no kidding, folks, it SO does. ack! not inherently bad by any means, just really not my style.

but i gave it a shot, and i find it reads beautifully. i know what you mean about a lot of the minors looking the same (oo, there's that ol' dragon again! and the staffs are a bunch of trees) but there are some differences in feeling, and if it sometimes forces you to go either more intuitive or more by what you know about tarot in general, well... it's what you need right then, is how i take it.

i did figure out why i love this deck - it looks exactly as if it were drawn by my fourth grade buddy, jodi. ex. act. ly. (jodi, if you're out there, you were the coolest and i still miss ya.) it makes me recall all the hours we spent playing with xener cards and trying to hypnotize each other. it seems, in some ways, like a fairly immature deck... and maybe it is, but i find my readings with it are good. it's become a close second to my favorite deck.

trust that you can get the message even if you have to fly by the seat of your pants or go by the book with the minors. it's not like you'll get them totally mixed up, as they say what they are right on them. especially if you used to get good readings with it, give it a go!

faunabay

I actually got this deck in an ebay auction. It came with a tarot bag I really wanted. The bag was what I was bidding on }) and thought "Oh well, I can trade the Moon Garden on aeclectic". But I found once I got it that I really had fun doing readings with it. It is a little busy but there's just something about it that makes me smile when I do readings with it. So yes, it's staying with me even though I thought I didn't even want it. LOL

phoenixblu

I was given this as my first deck!! but 10 years ago i Really couldnt read it so I passed it onto a friend who is a strong strong reader. I miss it now but it was just soooo pretty... :)

Muir Aingeal

I like the companion book that goes along with this deck. It's not written for a child by any means and it explains why the drawings are such on the cards. In her book she says it is based upon her visits to her grandfathers ranch in New Mexico and her fascination with the flora & fern along with other mythical things such as unicorns etc,

I'm not sure if it is a good beginner's deck although as some of the pips are not illustrated.

I do think this would make a good shadow work deck.

Just my .02

thorhammer

I adore this deck, because it always makes me feel happy. Not much can give that guarantee :)

I trimmed mine, to the outer edges of the swirly borders, and now the card size is absolutely wonderful (just a little smaller than most, narrower and lovely to handle). It trims well. It's one of my best efforts.

I rarely use the deck, however, because sadly, when I got it, it smelled so strongly of soap (which I don't use because the smell gives me headaches) that I can't bear to handle it for more than a three-card reading! One day I will get around to deodourising it, but until then, it languishes in the depths of its beautiful navy velvet bag :D

It reads well, though - I can read it as a straight RW-deck, but with a certain mysterious and totally non-threatening *tone* that makes its messages easy to receive and internalise. In a way, I wish that the images were bigger, to give them more impact :). So I'd love to see it issued in a larger size, so I could have both :D

\m/ Kat

Ambrosia

Thanks for all your replies guys, its been wonderful reminiscing (sp?) about this dear old friend. I have indeed decided to take her out for a spin again. It brings back fond memories. :)

faunabay

thorhammer said:
I adore this deck, because it always makes me feel happy. Not much can give that guarantee :)

I trimmed mine, to the outer edges of the swirly borders, and now the card size is absolutely wonderful (just a little smaller than most, narrower and lovely to handle). It trims well. It's one of my best efforts.

I rarely use the deck, however, because sadly, when I got it, it smelled so strongly of soap (which I don't use because the smell gives me headaches) that I can't bear to handle it for more than a three-card reading! One day I will get around to deodourising it, but until then, it languishes in the depths of its beautiful navy velvet bag :D

It reads well, though - I can read it as a straight RW-deck, but with a certain mysterious and totally non-threatening *tone* that makes its messages easy to receive and internalise. In a way, I wish that the images were bigger, to give them more impact :). So I'd love to see it issued in a larger size, so I could have both :D

\m/ Kat
What's funny is mine came with kind of a musty smell and powdery feel to it. Kind of made me go wash my hands after handling it. (shudder) But I just got a damp cloth, wiped it off, then dried it with a hand towel. Then put it in a bag with a couple of sticks of incense and it's brand new again! :p

And I've always wondered how people trimmed this one, since the borders were swirly. And I thought the Pearls of Wisdom that I got was a bang up job of trimming! :*