Anyone heard of 'The Tarot Workbook' by Kathleen McCormack??

Aerin

I've seen this in my bookclub magazine, and it looks quite interesting -see here for some details .http://www.barronseduc.com/0764122274.html

Sadly I can't tell without getting it, so has anyone else seen it? Any views?

Aerin

HudsonGray

A friend got this book, she said it was really useful, but it was like a college textbook in many ways. You have to write things out (many people remember better if they write things rather than read them). I haven't seen it yet.

Actually, the book I would recommend is 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

Aerin

Yes, that's a good book, I've got it. Along with lots of Mary Greer and etc.

This one looked like it might help deepen my understanding of card combinations, that's why I was attracted.

Aerin

Khatruman

It does sound like a textbook

I find it looks intriguing, being a teacher and perpetual student. I am very fond of workbook style texts because in my experience as a teacher, I know that learners get more if they work with the text, not just read. I did take exception to a certain comment in the blurb about the book: "The reader must provide the correct interpretation." It seems to indicate that tarot reading is like doing math, you find the right answer. I think that it is more like literature, something that has clear themes, but open for interpretation by the particular reader. The blurb goes on to qualify that there are expert interpretations given in the "answer" section, and the reader can compare their interpretations to the expert, but I am still turned off by that correctness issue.

Peace!

Aerin

OK, I finally got the book from the library and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

It is very much a traditional interpretation, highly predictive. From that perspective it is interesting, however it isn't the way I read. The illustrations are pip based, so if you haven't got a good grasp of meanings then you would be lost.

The sample questions are often Yes/ No or 'What should I do' based (which I personally avoid in my own readings since I believe that it is important to take responsibility for my own decisions whether using Tarot to help or not). Another question type is 'how can I make person X do Y' and I also don't like those. Example:
'I've worked as a farmer all my life but my business has been doing poorly for some time. My wife wants me to sell the farm and become a partner in her father's hotel business abroad. Should I take the step?'

Another thing I don't like are definitive statements such as 'This is the most positive card in the deck' (Strength), 'This is the most negative card in the deck' (The Devil) and 'These cards always cancel each other out' (e.g. Devil next to Magician). From an example card definition:

'The Fool is a highly spiritual card and its meaning is canceled when powerful material cards such as the Wheel of Fortune and the Devil are next to it. If the Fool comes before the Hermit, a secret will be safe but if it comes after, a secret will be revealed. With the Chariot beside it, there will be sudden important news. If the Fool is next to the Sun, an unexpected triumph will bring comfort, order and joy'.

It's probably most useful if you want to make very specific, highly predictive readings and/ or want to get close to traditional meanings.

Guess who doesn't... me!

Aerin

Emily

I saw this book too but couldn't find any good reviews on it so instead I bought 'The Tarot According To You' by Nancy Garen and 'Tarot Made Easy' by Nancy Garen.
'The Tarot According to you' is a workbook too but very different from Mary K Greer's book, which I found very difficult to work through.
Both of Nancy Garen's books work on similiar principles, 32 catagories for each card, love, work, home, finances, etc - and you find the meanings that are relevant to your question or situation.
These books have both got some pretty bad reviews but I don't see why, I'm using them for stepping stones and they really do make you think of the cards, especially the Work Book. I would recommend both these books for beginners or just to get a different idea or view of the cards.

Edited to add - they are Rider Waite based.
Just thought I'd mention these books because I wish I'd found them both when first trying to learn tarot :)

Khatruman

Aerin said:
It is very much a traditional interpretation, highly predictive. From that perspective it is interesting, however it isn't the way I read. ... Another question type is 'how can I make person X do Y' and I also don't like those. ...Another thing I don't like are definitive statements such as 'This is the most positive card in the deck' (Strength), 'This is the most negative card in the deck' (The Devil) and 'These cards always cancel each other out' (e.g. Devil next to Magician). From an example card definition:
...It's probably most useful if you want to make very specific, highly predictive readings and/ or want to get close to traditional meanings.

Guess who doesn't... me!
I don't either, and I thank you for that critique, because you definitely convinced me not to get this book. I don't like definitive statements because I see tarot as very much contextual, and not just in the context of "this card in front of this card means...." because that is definitive too. The context of everything, the reader, the querent, the deck, the overall cards, the position in the reading, ALL effect the meaning. Just deleted it from my Amazon wish list. :D