The Llewellyn Tarot-The Emperor

easternsunrise

Bran the blessed sits on his throne, a large sheild decorated with a dragon sits at his side. Bran gave his sister in marriage to an Irish King. Bran later found out about his sisters mistreatment and went to war against the Irish. Bran was a large giant like man and used his body to make a bridge for his army so that they may cross the river Shannon and follow the Irish. The Irish tricked Bran and he was captured - a poisoned injury to his foot brought on his death. Prior to his death he asked his men to cut his head off so that he would be able to protect them in spirit. For many years Bran was able to offer protection to his men. This story fits the card very well because the Emperor is depicted as a strong protector. Bran was also a man of compassion as is the Emperor. This is a beautiful card with the red robes and a curtain behind him. He looks very regal sitting there and very powerful.

Ambrosia

I agree that Bran the Blessed is a wonderful depiction for this card. I feel the card is very much in line with RWS type images and therefore is easily recognisable. Bran, being a giant is very apt for an emperor who seems larger than life and powerful. I feel he is definately a just ruler, someone who is wise yet also strong in his beliefs and has a capacity for compassion. I would not hesitate to call on his energy to guide me and advise me with wisdom and authority. I feel he is someone who will look at all sides of a situation and give very helpful advice, and that he is firm but fair.