Differences In Decks- How Do You Read Them?

Feretian

thinbuddha said:
Normally, I read with decks that don't have pictorial pips- in other words, I'm reading with decks like the so called "Tarot de Marseille" style of cards. The amount of variation between 2 different TdM decks is less than what you see between more contemporary decks, but I think that you can use similar reading methods.

Basically, I have an idea in mind as to what each card means. It is a very soft meaning- not at all set in stone. Sometimes, it is little more than a single keyword for a card that I use as a starting point. The rest of the meaning (the meaning within the spread I'm trying to read) is given by the context of the question and the surrounding cards.
-tb

So if you are reading "pips only" cards, you're recalling images or meanings garnered from past experience, and combining with stuff like placement, number relationships...? Any other advice on how to understand these cards?

FutureMoth

Thanks, this was very helpful. Both in helping me know how to read the cards and also just giving me a bit more confidence in my own ability. One last question:

Do meanings of suits and numbers as extractions carry over most of the time? I know that kind of isn't the point-- the point is that book meanings don't have to mean anything, but humor me for one last second. Where for example wands tend to deal with passion (and a few other things like philosophical things such as religion) and Aces tend to deal with a new spark... Is this true with basically all decks? In other words, would this help me to determine meanings of the cards in a new deck?

thinbuddha

FutureMoth said:
Is this true with basically all decks?

I don't think that you will find anything to be true across all decks. Someone who has more experience with a wide range of decks could address this question better than I can.

Feretian said:
So if you are reading "pips only" cards, you're recalling images or meanings garnered from past experience, and combining with stuff like placement, number relationships...? Any other advice on how to understand these cards?

Personally, my fallback meanings for the pip cards are based on the Thoth deck, because that's where I started. I don't think it's necessary to have another deck in mind as a crutch, though. People use all sorts of systems for reading the pip cards. There is a few good threads on how to read pips in the "Marseilles & Other Early Decks" forum. Here is one that I remember being very worthwhile.

-tb

afrosaxon

FutureMoth said:
This question is undoubtably going to put me pretty far down on the novice-meter but I am a novice, so I guess I may as well ask.

So, I have become pretty familiar with the Rider-Waite deck. Very familiar with the Minor Arcana, however less so with the Court Cards. I am still learning more and more about the Major Arcana. However, I am intersted in buying a new deck or two. But I have some questions.
The meanings of cards, obviously differs from deck to deck. I have learned the meanings of the Rider-Waite deck by reading about them and then using them a bunch to gain my own fuller understanding. Is there a good way to go about learning the meanings of a new deck? There is no "Official Meanings" page for other decks on this website, for example. What would be the best way to go about learning the meanings of a new deck?

There are barely "official meanings" for Rider-Waite-Coleman-Smith decks, since a card can have 101 meanings. :cool:

But seriously...the best way that works for me is to just study the image and see what it tells you. There are deck creators who simply take a "Traditional" RWS meaning and spin it (like the Deviant Moon), and some who take those meanings and totally come from a weird angle (like the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot and the Daughters of the Moon Tarot), yet are VERY loosely based on RWS meanings. I don't rely heavily on RWS meanings since, depending on the other cards in the spread and the context of the question (and the deck used), a particular meaning may be different in any given situation. But sometimes, a "Traditional" meaning does pop into my mind as relevant to the reading at hand.

That's my suggestion to you: let the deck tell you what it means for different cards.

Just my $.02.

T.

Feretian

thinbuddha said:
Personally, my fallback meanings for the pip cards are based on the Thoth deck, because that's where I started. I don't think it's necessary to have another deck in mind as a crutch, though. People use all sorts of systems for reading the pip cards. There is a few good threads on how to read pips in the "Marseilles & Other Early Decks" forum. Here is one that I remember being very worthwhile.

-tb

THANK YOU! Just the thread I'm looking for!

Alan Ross

Originally Posted by Nevada
But the best books don't give you meanings to memorize so much as a way to come to know the cards and to see them in a reading. For that it's better to have some good books about tarot in general than just books written for particular decks.

I just want to put in a good word here for books written for particular decks. I realize that many readers believe that the card images should speak for themselves and that it isn't necessary to become acquainted with the divinatory and symbolic significances intended by the particular deck's creator. For myself, I prefer to read any given deck more or less the way the deck's creator intended it to be read. If I do decide to deviate, I want to know exactly what I'm deviating from.

The best resource for determining exactly how a deck's creator intends his/her deck to be interpreted is to read a book written specifically for that deck by either the deck's creator or by an author working closely with the deck's creator. For example, the Robin Wood Tarot is a RWS-based deck that is very popular with both seasoned readers and beginners. The illustrations used in this deck are close enough to the RWS illustrations that it's easy to take conventional RWS significances and just apply them as is to the deck.

However, the Robin Wood deck is crammed with symbolism that would be virtually impossible to fully appreciate and understand without Robin Wood's book. This symbolism reflects subtle nuances of interpretation that gives the deck its own personality distinct from the Rider Waite deck. This is what I love about reading with different decks. Every deck I own reads differently, to one degree or another. It would be a shame to try to shoehorn the same RWS interpretations onto every deck, even decks that are closely based on the RWS standard.

There are many decks available that have excellent books written specifically for that particular deck. In some cases, the books are bundled with the deck in a kit. Some kits I've found especially useful are the Gilded Tarot, the Druidcraft Tarot, the Mystic Faerie Tarot, and the Bohemian Gothic Tarot.

Alan

Nevada

Alan Ross said:
I just want to put in a good word here for books written for particular decks. I realize that many readers believe that the card images should speak for themselves and that it isn't necessary to become acquainted with the divinatory and symbolic significances intended by the particular deck's creator. For myself, I prefer to read any given deck more or less the way the deck's creator intended it to be read. If I do decide to deviate, I want to know exactly what I'm deviating from.

The best resource for determining exactly how a deck's creator intends his/her deck to be interpreted is to read a book written specifically for that deck by either the deck's creator or by an author working closely with the deck's creator. For example, the Robin Wood Tarot is a RWS-based deck that is very popular with both seasoned readers and beginners. The illustrations used in this deck are close enough to the RWS illustrations that it's easy to take conventional RWS significances and just apply them as is to the deck.
I agree, and you make a good point about selecting a deck. It's something I tend to look for -- a deck that's sufficiently documented in symbolism and intent that it's possible to develop a familiarity with it fairly quickly and affirmatively, instead of guessing as to what the creator was getting at. I think a good deck-specific book makes a good jumping off point for reading intuitively. It's not necessary for the most intuitive reader, but for most of us it helps.

I also second the recommendation of DruidCraft. I just started using it and find it one of the most reader-friendly decks I've ever used. It's also inherently intuitive, I think, and that's something I think was built into it, since my intuitive readings with it seem to be backed up by similar ideas expressed in the book that comes with it. A lot of thought and care clearly went into that deck.

Nevada

Le Fanu

Alan Ross said:
However, the Robin Wood deck is crammed with symbolism that would be virtually impossible to fully appreciate and understand without Robin Wood's book

Just a question not really related to the course of the thread; when people talk about the Robin Wood book are they refering to the Tarot Plain and Simple book which has the Robin Wood card illustrations (and is very good)?

I never know...

Erzebet

Alan Ross said:

However, the Robin Wood deck is crammed with symbolism that would be virtually impossible to fully appreciate and understand without Robin Wood's book. This symbolism reflects subtle nuances of interpretation that gives the deck its own personality distinct from the Rider Waite deck. This is what I love about reading with different decks. Every deck I own reads differently, to one degree or another. It would be a shame to try to shoehorn the same RWS interpretations onto every deck, even decks that are closely based on the RWS standard.

There are many decks available that have excellent books written specifically for that particular deck. In some cases, the books are bundled with the deck in a kit. Some kits I've found especially useful are the Gilded Tarot, the Druidcraft Tarot, the Mystic Faerie Tarot, and the Bohemian Gothic Tarot.

Alan

I agree with everything you've said! We approach this aspect in the same way entirely :)

I'd also like to add some great book & deck combos. Sakki-Sakki and the companion guide Monicka Sakki and Carol Buckley wrote for her deck is wonderfully diverse and creative. One of the best companion books ever IMO.

Fey Tarot is wonderfully brought to life with by Riccardo Minetti's book on Mara's deck, one of the best too! The Halloween Tarot's companion book by Karin Lee and Kipling West adds to the whimsical and charming fun of the nostaglic deck.

I found that each deck does read differently and others advice to just practice and read is the best way to go, just have fun!

Le Fanu said:
Just a question not really related to the course of the thread; when people talk about the Robin Wood book are they refering to the Tarot Plain and Simple book which has the Robin Wood card illustrations (and is very good)?

I never know...

While Tarot Plain and Simple is an excellent book, I'm pretty sure others are referring to the book that the artist and creator of the Robin Wood wrote for her deck. It's a great book, expecially for a beginner.

Alan Ross

Robin Wood's own book was indeed the one I referred to. Anthony Louis's book is excellent as well, but it isn't specific to Robin Wood's deck and doesn't delve into the actual symbolism incorporated into her deck. His book was intended to be generally useful for any RWS based deck.

Alan