Faerie Tarot (Hertz):The Empress

Hemera

This Empress is the Great Goddess herself. She is very solemn and dignified and has a very serious and direct gaze. She looks ageless. I think she is someone who does not tolerate nonsense.
She is Hecate, Lilith, Isis, Astarte and Kali. She is the ancient Bird Goddess that Marija Gimbutas writes about in her Goddess archaeology books.

The LWB says that the Empress "incarnates beauty, charm, love and generosity" and that she "symbolizes emotion and feminine attraction" and "fertility". I think that here-again!-the LWB has its own strange logic that I can´t really agree with.
This Empress is the Crone who is past her fertility and she doesn´t care of things like charm or feminine attraction too much anymore. She has mostly other things in her mind now, just as any Crone should!:D

Her birds are the Barn Owls (Tyto alba) which are also called Ghost owls or Golden owls. They are the most widespread bird species in the world, found in all continents (except Antarctica). They fly silently and effortlessly through the night, hunting rodents in the thousands and thus helping human farmers and people who´d rather not have mice in their kitchens.. In many countries this bird is seen as a good omen and a bird that can predict the weather. But it is also seen as the Bird of Doom as is fit for Queen Hecate.
The Barn owl can screech and also hiss like a snake and it has a very effective method of defence. If it is threatened and cornered it will throw itself on its back and flail with sharp taloned feet.

Alan Ross

This is one of the least fertile looking Empresses I've seen. In this card and the next, The Emperor, Nathalie is reverting to the gothic characterizations of her previous decks, the Fantastical Tarot and the Vampire Tarot. For this version of The Empress, I don't think the usual significances of fertility, luxury, and abundance apply. She seems rather to embody the aged wisdom and nocturnal splendor of the Crone. The inclusion of barn owls on this card reinforces this impression: owls are symbolic of wisdom and the night.

Alan

Erzebet

I thought you all might enjoy this! I'm a good friend of Nathalie's and she sent me these scans of her orginal paintings of some of the Faerie cards!

One of those she sent was the Empress, so I thought you love to see it. :) I asked her about sharing them and she said it was fine. I had to make the image much smaller to fit in the attachment.

Here is what she said about her deck comparing the originals with the cards themselves:

Nathalie said:
You will see that my colors are more clear and vibrant than the cards colors
The deck is more dark and the blue more purple than my originals.
You will see better my work and the details. My mediums are: gouache, acrylics and Archival inks

I love this empress myself! You're right Alan it is more the crone nocturnal aspect :D

Enjoy! I have 7 other scans of the originals she sent me if you'd like to see those too.

Attachments

• EMPRESS2.jpg
    EMPRESS2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 95

Hemera

Erzebet said:
I thought you all might enjoy this! I'm a good friend of Nathalie's and she sent me these scans of her orginal paintings of some of the Faerie cards!
oooooo!!wow!!
Thank you so much!
The colors are indeed different in the originals, very vibrant!

Erzebet said:
Enjoy! I have 7 other scans of the originals she sent me if you'd like to see those too.
Oh yes,please!!!:love:
Listen, I´ll start a general discussion thread where we can have the pictures. I have been thinking that we need such a thread for this deck.
There are some questions I have been *dying* to ask Nathale,too. Maybe you could ask some questions for me..Us..?
I´ll go and start the general thread now. See you there soon!:)

Alan Ross

Erzebet said:
Very Cool! Colors are definitely brighter. It's a shame they didn't come out that way in the cards themselves. Thank you very much for sharing :).

Hemera said:
Listen, I´ll start a general discussion thread where we can have the pictures. I have been thinking that we need such a thread for this deck.
An excellent idea! And I also like your idea of submitting questions to Nathalie. I hope she's willing.

Alan