Potential Roots of Asia study group?

litldevil

Would anyone be interested in studying the Roots of Asia Deck?

This is one of my favourite decks and Id be interested in sharing thoughts about as many aspects of each card as we can come up with.

Look forward to seeing if there is any interest for this beautiful deck.

sapienza

Hi there. I'm trying to get myself a copy of this deck and so would be happy to contribute if you get something started. It is such a beautiful deck.

HarmonyWind

Before the hard drive crash erased a week's worth of posts, someone had asked if anyone was still interested in this. I had replied saying that I had recently ordered the deck and would be very glad to discuss the deck with others. Any one else interested?

Sophos

I would like to study it very much.
Would anyone else out there like to study this deck? Please step forward :)
S

HarmonyWind

I have never done a deck study before; how should we begin? I guess I am just waiting for someone to start a thread. I bet if a few of us start talking, others will join in.

Sophos

Yes, i think the same. So lets do it :) I would like to know if we start by studying the Major Arcana in order, starting by The Fool? since it's a deck focus on inner journey, i think that way would help and perhaps we just see how we go eh! eh! i don't know if anyone on the group will know about Buddhism philosophy, so i guess we can always bring our own insights into it... ok so just let me know, and next time i post it will be about the card we agree to talk about in a proper thread.
Have a look at this website about the artist, the cards with sub-titles in both languages and the exhibition:
http://www.rama9art.org/amnart/tarot.html
Looking forward
S

HarmonyWind

Starting with the Fool and going through the cards in order sounds good to me. I find it interesting in the link you posted that it says the Buddhist tradition doesn't approve of fortune telling, hence some irony if the deck is viewed as Buddhist themed. However, I think there are other ways of understanding what Tarot is and does: Buddhist teachings do contain many stories, so if one views the cards as telling a story that can help people reflect, meditate, and learn, then it might mesh very well with a Buddhist mindset -- but there are other traditions and influences in Asia, so I don't think we have to view the deck as exclusively Buddhist-- we might find aspects of Hinduism, or other Asian beliefs. I know several cards have elephants on them, for example.

The author's project is certainly ambitious, and I think it will be great studying the deck.

I'm off to work now, but will be back this evening to post about the first card.

Dee Ell

There are only (some of) the Majors listed (with a thread about the backs) in the study group sticky post... is anyone interested in interpreting any of the other cards?

Or the spreads he includes in the LWB? I just did the Chakra spread and would be interested in getting input, but I'm not sure where on AT to put it... :S