Touchstone Tarot~ The Magician

minrice

I think I'll start a new thread on this guy!
I just recieved my Touchstone in the mail today, skimmed through the cards a bit and then went through them again looking at each one.
At first I didn't even notice the Magician was missing! Fool, High Priestess, wait a minute...why is the Fool card thicker and stiffer than the others? Hmmmm, most curious! *bend, bend*
Ta Da! The Magican was stuck to the Fool and popped out of nowhere. Lol, it made me laugh it was so fitting. Ta, Da! Here he is!

I love him, he has a very exotic feel to him with his headgear and he isn't as pale as his counterparts. Does anyone know what he is holding? An incense holder? A tea strainer? A wand? A Pendulum?

All Is One

I'll take this Guy!

minrice said:
The Magican was stuck to the Fool and popped out of nowhere.

That is the tale, my friend! I would have been pretty shook by that one! Then I went and dug him out....hiding he was....at the very back.

I have NO idea what is in his hand. This deck is just becoming one huge question!

He is darker and more exotic....and of all the decks I can think of....this card has never been my thing.

But I'd certainly go out with this Magician!

I like the mug in the picture so much.

And he has better books than me.

minrice

I've always liked the Magician because he's so mysterious. You're not quite sure what he's up to but you definitely want to be a part of it.
I think he's "not from around here", he kind of has Indian-style pajama clothes on. Forgive my ignorance anyone, for me referring to them as pajamas if this isn't the right thing to call them!

All Is One

Pretty cool pjs to me....and I try and be PC when needed but it always falls flat. It's easire to just say what's on my mind.

You mentioned pajamas and the last card we studied it was....Templar Girl? Can't be sure...

Someone said the Angel on the Ace of Wands was probably sleeping in those red robes.

I think we have a theme going here.

tarotlyn

Well, this Magician is certainly very different from most I've seen!!!

He doesn't have his hand pointing toward the sky (ceiling in this case) and
his other hand is not pointing down to the earth (floor in this case)...
(thus where is the: "As above so below" ? )

I am missing the usual "magic" and the "power" of this card that says he CAN
do anything.

He does have all the right tools on the table (cup, pentacle, sword, wand) so
he has what he needs...

...but now I see that the Owl and the books are representing his intelligence
and quick wit and the knowhow he needs to create something new...
perhaps a new invention is in the making!!! ~ this card is ruled by the planet
Mercury and the element air... so it is all a creation of the mind...I just am
missing the "magic sparkle" I usually see with this card.

His eyes look very calculating...he is thinking clever thoughts!

Not sure either of what he is holding in his right hand...it appears to be some
kind of a "globe" on a stick:laugh:... or a calibration instrument of some sort
maybe for measuring something? Got me on that one...any ideas?

ETA: I am also missing the "figure eight" usually over his head that indicates
"eternity"...Don't get me wrong...I do love this deck A LOT!!! And this Magician
is much classier than the others!:*

Quester

He has a satisfied look on his face...like he had solved a riddle and was waiting for someone else to figure it out. I agree it looks like a globe on a stick that he's holding.

All Is One

Also, even though he looks like a thoughtful, attractive man, there is a feminine quality to the face and almost a mona lisa smle.

I agree with you, Quester....he looks like he has solved the riddle.

morticia monroe

minrice said:
I just recieved my Touchstone in the mail today, skimmed through the cards a bit and then went through them again looking at each one.
At first I didn't even notice the Magician was missing! Fool, High Priestess, wait a minute...why is the Fool card thicker and stiffer than the others? Hmmmm, most curious! *bend, bend*
Ta Da! The Magican was stuck to the Fool and popped out of nowhere. Lol, it made me laugh it was so fitting. Ta, Da! Here he is!

Wow, that's funny, because the EXACT SAME THING happened to me...

I was thirty seconds away from sending a PM to Leisa when abracadabra, there he was,,,,

The first thing that struck me about this magician was the mood that swept over me when I saw him and his surroundings. His room is solid wood as is his table. There is no dust or cobwebs to be seen, in fact the bannister behind him seems to have the soft sheen that comes from occasional polishing,,,,no bright colors or flowers, nothing "pops". Even the red on his cape is muted and earthy.

He is well dressed, but not extravagantly so, and I am interested in the pin on his hat.

This is a man who knows who he is and is very comfortable in his own skin,,he's no flim-flam man and no bells and whistles accompany his magic. His calm presence and quiet assuredness makes the owl unafraid to approach him. They are old friends, these two.

But there is something about his expression that I'm just not sure of,,,,something under the surface,,, is he hiding something,,,? His heavily-lidded eyes are very mysterious. Those kind of eyes could easily hide all kinds of secrets.

more to come,,,,,,

Templar Girl

tarotlyn said:
...but now I see that the Owl and the books are representing his intelligence
and quick wit and the knowhow he needs to create something new... thoughts!

Hi Chaps
I rather like the owl perched on the shelf. Owls have been attributed to many deities in many cultures including, Minerva, Athena, Lilith and Moloch. As Tarotlyn mentioned they are often used as a codified wisdom symbol, this mirrors the Magicians Codex reference books and correspondances on the shelf next to him, listed as codex's, an interesting point of balence on the card with magician in the centre. Owls are often attributed as the totem of psychics and clairvoyants. Owls have the courage to follow their instincts. Owl's medicine includes seeing behind masks, silent and swift movement, keen sight, messenger of secrets and omens, shape-shifting, link between the dark, unseen world and the world of light, comfort with shadow self, moon power, freedom.
Perhaps Kat used the Owl and Codex's instead of the lemniscate.
I think the Magician looks a bit like Uncle Al Crowley in his turban etc, perhaps this magician really is just a naughty boy, with a naughty twinkle in his eye.
The globe forcep thing is driving me mad, anyone know what it is.

stargazer

He is master of his craft, he holds the world in his hand, knowledge and wisdom at his fingertips?

He looks me straight in the eye as if in challenge.

You have the tools, but do you have the courage and commitment to take up my challenge?

We shall see.

There is a feeling of warmth in this card, that I find unusual.
I love that the sun and moon are his cloak in true magician style.
Is that a dove on the front of his tunic?
Also, does anyone know what the symbol on his turban/head dress is?
It looks Egyptian.