Faerie Tarot by nathalie hertz question

jeseryn

I had this come to me recently and besides the strangely colored borders that seem to have no rhyme or reason I have a questions.

Why does she copy almost exactly froud's fairies in this deck? Is that legal? I have to assume she was given permission because US Games could get in trouble right? It's very offputting. High Priestess and nine of pentacles are the 2 most obvious to me. Also know there are other artists work copied in the deck.

If it's been discussed before please forgive me and point me in that direction. Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if there's a story behind it that I'm unaware of.

Erzebet

I only see some Froud similarities. She is a good friend of mine and I talked with her about what others were saying on the other thread. Here is what she said about it:

Nathalie said:
First of all it took me a lot of time and energy to create this deck, in a positive way
as the world of fairies is one of my favorite!
To be frank, i got inspired by B Froud for 2 or 3 cards at the most and i can say i know
very well the work of Jasmine which i like a lot but i really don't think we have the same style.
As for all the other artists that you mentionned i can honestly say that i have never seen
any of there work.( Amy Brown, Myka Jelina, and Jessica Galbreth).
I believe there will always be positive and negative comment about any artist work so it
doesn't really bothers me as long as i know that im being honest with myself and my work
comes from my heart.

In the other thread about the Faerie Tarot someone mentioned a bunch of artists that the poster thought many of Nathalie's images looked like exact copies of the artists work, that's what Nathalie is referring too. Honestly I've looked up those artists mentioned and see no resemblance or even likeness. Bizarre.

Here is the thread where this was mentioned http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=89489&highlight=faerie

The other artists mentioned were: Jasmine Becket-Griffith, Amy Brown, Brian Froud, Myka Jelina, and Jessica Galbreth.

Faeries are faeries, they of course have a certain energy and style. Is every artist's depiction of faeries, gnomes and nature spirits supposed to be radically different?

Hemera

I´m a great fan of Nathalie´s deck.
I also own the Froud Faerie deck, which I think is very different in its feel. I see very little similarity, in fact.. The whole atmosphere in Nathalie´s deck is different, more feminine and delicate.
All good artists get inspiration from other artists, but it doesn´t mean they are copying. Mozart did not copy from Haydn, but he was greatly inspired by him..
BTW: I think that he beautifully coloured borders are a true treasure in this deck! This is the first deck in ages that I do not feel like trimming..I have played endlessly with the different colours (arranging the cards in groups by color etc ) and I *really* like the fact that the they do not follow any obvious "logic"

danaelola

Hello

Hello

I' m Nathalie Hertz, the creator of the Faerie Tarot deck.
For this deck, yes, only 3 cards: ( The high priestess, the death and the Nine of pentacle ) have been inspired ( not copied ) on Brian Froud Art on the book: good faeries- bad faeries. It's an homage to Brian Froud: The master of fairie's world for me and a wonderful artist.
The costumes of the high priestess and the death are inspired too to the oriental woman's costumes: ( burca of Afghan womans for the death, and tuareg woman's costumes for the high priestess.)

I know, we have completely forget to mentioned this homage in the booklet.
I've contacted U.S Games System ( the publisher ) for tell them.
For the next edition, i hope that it's will be write; ( i've mentioned that in my me page, on ebay. My ID is: loladanae you could read if you want.)

For the colored borders, i'm agree too, i've prefered with just white borders like the original paintings, but it's not me who decide for the publication.

I've enclosed pictures of the original paintings ( you will see with white borders and you will see better the details and real colors :))

Hope to have made you my contribution to your information ;)

For you Hemera, yes it's true!! All good Artists get inspiration from other Artists. Some characters of Brian Froud's painting and other contemporary artists are been inspired by Jerom Bosh ( 1453- 1516) the precursory of the fantastic world.
For you Erzebet, thanks for your kind words ;)

For all, thanks for your interest ;)

Nathalie :)

Attachments

• XVI - the tower2.jpg
    XVI - the tower2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 205
  • III - the empress.jpg
    III - the empress.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Three of wands.jpg
    Three of wands.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Ace of wands.jpg
    Ace of wands.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 193

thorhammer

Hi, Nathalie, and welcome! Thankyou for sharing that information, and thanks also for posting the images :) I love love love your Tower - it's one of the most gorgeous cards I've seen in a long time.

I really look forward to owning your deck . . . a long time away, looking at my bank statement! :laugh: And I hope we see more of you here.

\m/ Kat

PS. You know there's a study group here for the deck?

Hemera

Welcome to the forum Nathalie! :love:
I am honoured to meet you here in person! :) You are a great artist!

I hope you have time to drop in the Study Group threads,too, and see what we have written there.
Many thanks for posting the images! They are awesome!

Alan Ross

Hi Nathalie,

I'm glad to see you here at AT. I have two of your decks, the Fantastical and the Faerie, and I've enjoyed both immensely. I also hope you'll check out the study group we have for your Faerie deck. It would be wonderful to get your input.

Alan

Alta

Hi Nathalie and lovely to see you here. I enjoyed reading your insights into your art. As other have mentioned, please check Tarot Study Groups and perhaps join in.

Alta

danaelola

I will try to go on study group ( i'm very honored because i didn't know that ) My english language is not very good :(
Me and my husband have bought a new home, i must take time for home organisation.

I have not a lot of time, i paint every day ( it's my passion ) and sell my Art on ebay. I create ACEO: ( Art cards edition and originals.) It's miniature paintings in size 2,5 x 3,5 inches. I love paint that and i have meet other wonderful artists :)

The faerie tarot deck is my favourit of the 3 tarot decks that i made, i would to paint in an other style ( an happy style, with vivid colors :)) than the Fantastical tarot and the vampire tarot

Thanks for your kindness and your support, i'm honored to have so kind persons.

Nathalie :)

Hemera

Here is a link to the Faerie Tarot Study Group index.