Witchy Tarot - 8 of Cauldrons

xhollysue

"A Witch's Initiation" There's a very young-looking witch, holding what looks like a VooDoo doll talking to a much older witch. The older witch is seated, stirring a cauldron. They are in a cave and bats appear to be approaching or leaving the cave.

Classic RWS imagery puts the 8 of cups (cauldrons) as the card of a man leaving behind his cups, perhaps taking a journey. I think that concept fits reasonably well with this card. It makes me think that the young witch has finished the most recent instruction of the older witch - to make a doll! "Now what?" she wonders as she awaits the older witch's instructions.

I guess I think of the RWS card as a having a component of willingness, and this 8 of cauldrons appears to have a similar feeling of willingness.

The presence of the bats is not surprising, as they are in a cave. Bats are traditionally symbolic of facing fear and accepting transition/change. The bat is totally out-of-whack: i.e. it is a mammal, but it flies; it sleeps hanging upside down; it uses sonarlocation from within its nose - it's just a strange little creature! We have a tendency to fear anything out of the ordinary, and bats pretty much break every "ordinary" rule. But all in all they are wonderful, virtually harmless creatures.

Here they return to the cave, their home, the great womb that represents inner wisdom and feminine power. Their return tells me that the young witch has a fear to face, as she counsels with the elder witch. She is willing to face it though, as she carefully brings her homework to her counsellor and teacher. A dark night is coming, but she smiles, because she's taking the necessary steps to prepare herself.

Also, the cauldron is like the hearth of a witch's home (so I've read) and so it's the source of both food, medecinal brews, and warmth (from the fire that heats it). Cauldrons in this deck translate with cups - emotionals and intuition. The card is 8 representing infinity. So I see the a cauldron deep in a cave, where infinite love and intuition can be accessed by a willing learner.

I would read this card as a willingness to learn a lesson in life, step-by-step, if necessary. This may be from deep within (as the cave would suggest) or simply from a life experience. There is something approaching that you will get to face, and you may be afraid of it. Prepare now, learn well, and you'll be empowered to embrace the unknown, as opposed to fearing it.

I also might read it as seeking advice from someone wise and caring before meddling in the life of another. (Ask your wiser Self if it's really "helping" when you rescue someone). That voodoo doll just seems to stand out to me. Don't go charging in, trying to save the day, before you know the facts of the situation.

ofbainbridge

A willingness to take the step needed to change in some direction. A willingness for initiation to begin...

Blessings