Witchy Tarot - 9 of Broomsticks

xhollysue

Oh my god, this card is hilarious. I just love it!

There's a witch who's dressed all sassy in purple tiger-stripes and she's being smacked on the head with a broom by a demon dude. They're standing in a cave.

My first thought is the 9 of swords from the RWS deck, all about sleeplessness, guilt or regret. Here the witch's logical thinking, almost to it's peak, is punishing her. In fact, the LWB calls this card "The punished Witch." If you get your "broomstick" flying too high in the air, you're bound to get a headache! Ha ha ha.

Also, her seductive dress makes me wonder if she came to this cave expecting a romantic reunion. Instead, her lover is beating her over the head with a broom. Battered wife syndrome? Addiction to abusive treatment? A guilty conscience for being too easy? All of those are possible meanings for me.

Here's another take. The passive or feminine force resides in the darkness - a cave is a reasonable substitute for the womb of the unconscious. In jumps male energy, with his action and activity, and his logical thinking (the sword/broomstick is a phallic symbol) and this active force is moved to act upon the passive one. The lesson here is to be wary of the type of seed you are planting in your womb; be conscious of what you introduce to your fertile planting grounds. Meaning, don't listen to garbage, slander, gossip, stupidity, or ignorance! Don't let that crap enter your sacred spaces! Because it's going to make a mess.

ofbainbridge

This might indicate the state of mind after a shift in perspective has occurred. Sometimes the state of mind is relaxing and peaceful and sometimes it causes more headaches than its worth...

Blessings...