Manga Tarot: Temperance

Mellifluous

I bought this deck a few weeks ago and I love it. It's so gorgeous! Was looking through the index here and thought it was time for a thread on the next card. :)

A young man in a somewhat tropical setting, wearing only a loincloth, is genuflecting on the rocks beside a waterfall, running the fingers of his left hand under the falling water. Lots of flowers, bright sunny day, palm trees in the background. It looks like a private retreat or favorite spot for solitude.

He has either a tattoo on his chest of a bird carrying a cup (to catch some of the healing waters?); or an actual bird carrying a cup has alighted on his right hand. I like that I can't make up my mind whether it's a tattoo or a real bird. lol Either way it represents creativity to me, as do the flowers.

It's a very peaceful card, though gently energizing and refreshing.

Predominant color is yellow.
Glyph is Spring.

This card strikes me as being much more like the RWS Star than Temperance. The meanings given in the LWB (purification, healing, peace, finding yourself) also seem to indicate this. Either way, it would be another example of a gender switch in this deck.

His feet are on the ground - or rock, in this case - though his toes may be just barely in the water. He knee is close to dipping in as well but I think it's actually suspended over the pool.

The positioning of his hands, palms up, open, seems receptive and gentle to me. It's a meditative gesture.

I think there is significance to having the water (often symbolizing emotions) flow freely over the left hand (which often symbolizes intuition). To me it seems to represent letting past emotional states or experiences go, while simultaneously keeping the wisdom you've gained on a deeper, subconscious level. So, they are not lost, but not cluttering your mind or keeping you stuck in the past either. You're free and clear.

The right hand (which often symbolizes rationality or logic) is gentle and open as well, and this man is clearly in harmony with nature if the bird feels safe enough to perch there.

Your thoughts on this card?

Alan Ross

Mellifluous said:
I think there is significance to having the water (often symbolizing emotions) flow freely over the left hand (which often symbolizes intuition).
I picked up on that as well. The left hand immersed in water is a double symbol for our emotional/intuitive nature, while the right hand cupping only air is a double symbol for our intellectual/analytical nature. On this angelic figure's chest is a tattoo of a bird holding a cup, air and water combined. So he combines and harmonizes within himself these opposing inner polarities. This, to me, is an excellent representation of Temperance.

Alan

Mellifluous

Alan Ross said:
On this angelic figure's chest is a tattoo of a bird holding a cup, air and water combined. So he combines and harmonizes within himself these opposing inner polarities. This, to me, is an excellent representation of Temperance.

Alan

Oh, interesting observation! I hadn't thought of the bird that way. :)

Great point about the right hand and air being a double symbol as well.

I'll be curious to see what people have to say about the Star card in this deck when we get to it.