Touchstone Tarot~ 3 of Cups

minrice

This card says "Hen party!" to me, lol. I love the joy and happiness that usually surrounds the 3 cups. For me this card has a bit of a different feel, not quite so joyous.
The woman in the white hat is offering the cup, and has a welcoming expression on her face. The two women in the background don't look as welcoming, the one with red hair looks as though she's about to give a surveying up/down look, and the one in the background looks too caught up in her own conversation to notice anyone new come in.
Depending on the situation, I read the three cups as a meeting/party, some sort of get together and the cards around it indicate what will come of it. It's usually a card I love to see come up!
This card reminds me of social awkwardness, and how tiring parties and social obligations can be.

stargazer

Hi minrice

I also see this card as the party/calibration card. Spending time with your friends and family.
Happy times if you like.

The lady with the white hat does look a bit awkward, maybe she is the new girl and she’s a bit shy.
Its like when your partner invites you to go to a party with him and you don’t know a soul there!
Perhaps the other ladies are about to introduce themselves and invite her to join them?
I think that the card in this instant may speak of making new friends.

morticia monroe

Lady in Waiting: A lady of a royal court appointed to serve or attend a Queen, Princess, or high ranking noblewoman. A Lady in Waiting was not quite a servant. Ladies in Waiting were considered 'noble companions' who, by their status and nobility, could better advise a woman of high station.

The Lady in Waiting was an important member of the royal court and played an active role in participating with court entertainments, such as masques, dance and musical entertainment. The Ladies in Waiting were selected from high ranking and noble families. The Lady in Waiting played an important role in the history of England. Many Ladies in Waiting became the mistresses of the King or the highest ranking nobles of England. The most famous Ladies in Waiting in English history were:

Mary Boleyn - Lady in Waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon and became the mistress of King Henry VIII. Her role as the King's mistress was then taken by another Lady in Waiting - her sister Anne Boleyn

Anne Boleyn - Lady in Waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon. Anne Boleyn replaced Katherine of Aragon and married King Henry VIII - this important lady in Waiting was the mother of Queen Elizabeth I

Jane Seymour - Lady in Waiting to Queen Anne Boleyn. Jane Seymour replaced Anne Boleyn and married King Henry VIII - this important lady in Waiting was the mother of King Edward VI

Catherine Howard - Lady in Waiting to Anne of Cleves. Catherine Howard married King Henry VIII - and was executed for treason and adultery

Jane Rochford - Lady in Waiting to Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard. This vicious woman was instrumental in the bringing about the execution by beheading of these two young queens

The history of England was changed forever by these famous ladies in waiting and illustrates the importance of the Lady in Waiting in royal court circles.

Sounds almost like an elite club, huh?

The two women at the top are Ladies in Waiting. They have been so for a number of years and are comfortable and happy in their life at Court. They enjoy priviledge as the ladies closest to the Queen. Among themselves they also have a heirarchy, and the one in the center is alpha. To the left is her #1 disciple, wannabe, and so called "best friend". She looks quite satisfied with herself, like she just took a big fat juicy secret...

The girl at the bottom is younger. She is the daughter of an Earl, who has secured a spot in the Queen's chambers for her. She must take her place among the ladies now. She is nervous, but you can also see on her face that she is confident and serene.

What position will she take in her circles? Will she become a loyal and true friend to the Queen and those around her? Or will she be a foolish, mean spirited gossip? Or is she a Baby Anne Boleyn, with a plan,,,,:)

The card speaks to me about social situation, society, taking your place in the world and among the worlds inhabitants. How will you treat others? What do you aspire to do? How will you conduct yourself in life?

LadyKathryn

3 of cups

I have a goddess deck..and the 3 of cups shows a3 women all at different stages in their lives...one young...the other a mother...and the third a grandmother

this card also represents to me..the passign of values from one generation to the next, also the maturing of the person the card is related to. :) going from one level of maturity to the next....

maturity happens on an emotional level...not just a mental level.

All Is One

morticia monroe said:
Lady in Waiting: A lady of a royal court appointed to serve or attend a Queen, Princess, or high ranking noblewoman. A Lady in Waiting was not quite a servant. Ladies in Waiting were considered 'noble companions' who, by their status and nobility, could better advise a woman of high station.

The Lady in Waiting was an important member of the royal court and played an active role in participating with court entertainments, such as masques, dance and musical entertainment. The Ladies in Waiting were selected from high ranking and noble families. The Lady in Waiting played an important role in the history of England. Many Ladies in Waiting became the mistresses of the King or the highest ranking nobles of England. The most famous Ladies in Waiting in English history were:

Mary Boleyn - Lady in Waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon and became the mistress of King Henry VIII. Her role as the King's mistress was then taken by another Lady in Waiting - her sister Anne Boleyn

Anne Boleyn - Lady in Waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon. Anne Boleyn replaced Katherine of Aragon and married King Henry VIII - this important lady in Waiting was the mother of Queen Elizabeth I

Jane Seymour - Lady in Waiting to Queen Anne Boleyn. Jane Seymour replaced Anne Boleyn and married King Henry VIII - this important lady in Waiting was the mother of King Edward VI

Catherine Howard - Lady in Waiting to Anne of Cleves. Catherine Howard married King Henry VIII - and was executed for treason and adultery

Jane Rochford - Lady in Waiting to Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard. This vicious woman was instrumental in the bringing about the execution by beheading of these two young queens

The history of England was changed forever by these famous ladies in waiting and illustrates the importance of the Lady in Waiting in royal court circles.

Sounds almost like an elite club, huh?

The two women at the top are Ladies in Waiting. They have been so for a number of years and are comfortable and happy in their life at Court. They enjoy priviledge as the ladies closest to the Queen. Among themselves they also have a heirarchy, and the one in the center is alpha. To the left is her #1 disciple, wannabe, and so called "best friend". She looks quite satisfied with herself, like she just took a big fat juicy secret...

The girl at the bottom is younger. She is the daughter of an Earl, who has secured a spot in the Queen's chambers for her. She must take her place among the ladies now. She is nervous, but you can also see on her face that she is confident and serene.

What position will she take in her circles? Will she become a loyal and true friend to the Queen and those around her? Or will she be a foolish, mean spirited gossip? Or is she a Baby Anne Boleyn, with a plan,,,,:)

The card speaks to me about social situation, society, taking your place in the world and among the worlds inhabitants. How will you treat others? What do you aspire to do? How will you conduct yourself in life?

Just as she did for the six of cups, Morticia has clarified this card as well. I'm going with her on this one as well. I realize that Kat has yet to write the book, but I'm getting to be pretty set in my ways with this deck. I'm looking forward to the book and the MM version (the Morticia Mnroe version? No, the mass market version.)

Once I read M's take on it, I have nothing to say. :)

BodhiSeed

minrice said:
I love the joy and happiness that usually surrounds the 3 cups. For me this card has a bit of a different feel, not quite so joyous.
This is usually one of my favorite cards in a tarot deck, but because it seemed to have such an unhappy/distrustful vibe, I didn't care for it at all!
MM, I appreciate your explanation of the Lady in Waiting; it makes this card make a bit more sense to me.

retrokat

Hi all,

I got a wonderful window of opportunity today to make some last minute changes to the cards due to a couple of technical errors on my part (well, having to work in Photoshop instead of my usual PaintShop Pro).

Most of the changes I made today were very minor. I had already made a lot of changes between the LE and what I sent to Kunati. But I did change background figures in two cards that I was never really happy with - this one, and the 5 of swords.

So, thanks for the honest feedback on this and many other cards! Your Study Group really helped me to decide where to spend my very limited time when I was given this last chance to make changes.

I promise the other two faces on this card are much friendlier now - both lovely, lush Rubens ladies :D

I should be able to show you the new cards by tomorrow.

morticia monroe

Most excellent, Kat, I can't wait to see them.

I am SO glad I ordered the LE Touchstone. I am IMMENSELY enjoying this deck and being a lover of Tudor history it seems much more personal to me than any other deck I own.

And now I'll also have the MM edition with your changes,,, I'm so happy you created this one, Kat. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

minrice

Ooooo, that is really cool Kat! I can't wait for the mm and am thrilled we have new things to look forward to :) Coincidentally I received my Golden in the mail last week. It is more beautiful than I remember! I was crazy to give it away years ago. Your talent is amazing.

Thank you as always for your mini history lessons MM! I enjoy them immensely and as I don't know very much about Tudor history (though I find it intriguing) I enjoy reading the condensed version and it adds another dimension to these cards for me!