3 of Swords interpretations

Aerin

Ok, so I have searched the forum for 3 of Swords threads but none really told me what I wanted so here we go.

When I get this card it is usually about disillusionment, like when you discover Santa Claus isn't real or when someone close does something that makes you realise the aren't the person you thought they were. I have seen this more than emotional sorrow/ heartbreak and 'heart surgery' interpretations I've seen mentioned.

Recently I have seen it as a 'get over it' card to do with a change of career - kind of realising a path isn't for you and needs to be left behind.

But so many decks just have the heart with 3 swords picture I am fed up with seeing it. What's your favourite 3 of swords card in a deck? (Especially one that is very different, but still makes sense as a 3 plus the suit element way - I tend to be a swords/ air/ thought person.)

And has anyone ever drawn it when the interpretation is somewhat different and unusual? And/ or positive? - and I don't just mean because it is 'reversed'.

Aerin

LadyKathryn

three of swords

I see it as a life lesson.... something we need to learn.
my deck i also see it as turning Pain into understanding

a life lesson that isn't easy to learn

mysticmoon

Aerin said:
But so many decks just have the heart with 3 swords picture I am fed up with seeing it. What's your favourite 3 of swords card in a deck? (Especially one that is very different, but still makes sense as a 3 plus the suit element way - I tend to be a swords/ air/ thought person.)
My favorite (read: more acceptable compared to 3 swords through the heart horror) 3 of Swords card is from the Spiral tarot deck. To me, it pretty much stands for the alternative interpretation that you use for this card also. I look at it as disillusionment, feelings of rejection or coming to terms with something painfully or learning lessons the hard way or parting ways for the better... I also read it as "expansion" (numerological 3) of "mind" (air) because of finally "getting it or seeing it".

moderndayruth

Aerin said:
But so many decks just have the heart with 3 swords picture I am fed up with seeing it. Aerin
Me too :rolleyes:

Aerin said:
What's your favourite 3 of swords card in a deck? (Especially one that is very different, but still makes sense as a 3 plus the suit element way - I tend to be a swords/ air/ thought person.)
Aerin
The Minchiate 3oS ;)

starrystarrynight

I've drawn it for these things (some of them, not so odd):

Toothache.
Lover's triangle.
The death of someone who isn't that close, but you knew him, and it came as a surprise.
The need for the lab to draw blood.
Surgery/cutting.
An argument about to happen--and it will change everything. (On the other hand, a discussion that needs to happen--that could help the situation--but isn't happening.)

Those are the things I can think of from the top of my head at the moment.

I like the Quest Tarot Three of Swords.

Sulis

I usually see the cards as a numerical sequence so the three is the card that breaks the stalemate of the two so to me this card often says say what needs to be said, even if it's painful.
It shows a moving forward.
This card also can show the decision being made after the indecision of the two or the first realisation of an idea.

I really don't like the pierced heart symbolism that much so my favourite Three of Swords cards usually come from decks that don't show that.

I love the Heron Conver with it's central red sword cutting straight through the other two and the flower in the middle showing new growth: http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/3dEpee.jpg

I also really like the Sheridan Douglas Three of Swords showing a necessary conflict, or saying what's needed even if it hurts. I've also read this version as turning against myself before: http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Sheridan Douglas tarot/3Swords.jpg

Out of the RWS clone decks I use then my favourite 3 of Swords is from the Illuminated Tarot (sorry I don't have a scan) but the beautiful colours and rain make me see this card as cathartic.

afrosaxon

I interpret the 3 of Swords as facing your fears...especially those we've been trying to ignore (you know..."LALALALALALA...not lisssstennnniiiiiiiiiing!" :D

I, too, detest the standard 3 swords piercing a bleeding heart. :rolleyes:

My favorite cards so far are:

the 3 Rada [3 of Swords] card in the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/165/New_Orleans_Voodoo#77.jpg

It shows the three skeletons in their coffins, but they are smiling. The coffins are in lush green ground, and the scarabs are an Egyptian symbol of rebirth. And the card colors are so cheerful!

I also like the 3 of Swords in the World Spirit deck:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/109/World_Spirit#77.jpg

This card shows the man turning away from a map nailed to the wall (or at least, it looks like a map to me!); there is a shadowy figure in the mirror around the corner...like he was the one who put the map there and is making sure that the man sees it. And here the man in his PJs, thinks he's safe from the journey that the map is imploring him to make. I usually interpret this cards as "nail it down" or "pay attention!"

T.

no_moon

3 of Swords, in my life has meant saying the thing that I needed to say to someone... even if it means that I end up having to live life without that person afterwards. The Swords either represent words spoken (in the case of a disagreement with a friend) or thoughts to me, so if it's jumping out of the deck, it means I'm going to get one hell of a migraine.

Bronwyn1

Cutting straight through to the "heart" of the matter.

balenciaga

I cannot say I have a favorite because I do not like this card:(