The Devil as a relative?

Azarial

I was doing a tarot spread called "Path of The Ancestors" In the position, "What is thier relationship to you?" I got The Devil. What would The Devil signify as an ancestor? I am a little stumped. Could it possibly be a grandmother? For the ancestor who is participating in this reading, I got Queen of Wands, so I'm thinking it's a woman.

The crowned one

A thought that came to me was someone that is family but illegitimate.

I would look at what aspects of the Devils personality and traits you feel the card represents, this is what the devil will represent. Keep in mind this is their relationship to you. This is what it is built on or if it is genetically what they passed on.

As far as the ancestor who is participating in the reading I agree. The obvious choice it a women with dark hair, friendly and attracts people to her. That said, it could be a man with the personality aspects of the queen of wands too.

Azarial

Another thing that had popped into my head, was actually could it be a miscarried baby? The idea came from the chains being tied to The Devil made me think of the umbilical cord.

The crowned one

Very Interesting idea, and creative. I have looked at this from every aspect of the devil...from my eyes...and I just can not see this being the case. Materialism, the chains more represent lust and desire. I think if that was the case we would get a straight-forward and literal death card.

EDIT: Or as below "hanged man" for literal, I did not think of that!

Thirteen

Azarial said:
Another thing that had popped into my head, was actually could it be a miscarried baby? The idea came from the chains being tied to The Devil made me think of the umbilical cord.
Unlikely. You'd get the Hanged Man for that--suspended by his umbilical, a single cord--not two chains.

I'm with crowned one. Illegitimate. Someone who "chains" two people to their "sin"--in other words, an illegitimate child from an affair.

Azarial

So then it would definately have to be an ancestor that I have never met, because I don't know anyone that is illegitimate that has passed over.

GreenMoonBeam

Since the reading is the Path of the Ancestor, when i read the question of The
Devil and the other posts, i thought of say an Aunt (great aunt at that) from
the Edwardian or Victorian times that may have made a forced marriage for
society's sake. Ancestry does not mean many many generations back after all.
Just a thought.
GMB

Azarial

That's a very good point! I know way back in the day, a child before marriage was definately frowned upon, and a lot of women were forced into marriage against thier will.

The crowned one

The problem with that good thought is the devils bindings are not forced, but by choice.

Debra

There's only so much detail in the cards, though. You do the best you can with the images.