Good sources on stones

wavebreaker

I'd like to learn more about the use of stones. I have a few stones that I use and that work very well for me, but whenever something new comes up (see my question on back pain...) I'm always having difficulties finding the right stone, because there are so many different sources and lists.

What would be a good book to learn more about stones and their use? So not just a simple list of illnesses and stones to use, but a book that provides some more background on the use of stones, with pictures of the stones etc.?

rostie

i use the book 'Het Edelstenen Handboek' from Orpha Cochie (isbn: 90-6378-529-1) and when i want to know more about a particular stone i search it up on the net and look for everything i can find...i've found a few good sites wich i like to use...if you want i can post them...but i always find something new...with google.
the book includes from every stone: the namegiving - how does it look like - where you can find it - where it can help: physically, mentally and spiritually - tips about how to see if they are real ones or fake - practical tips and info how to use them with bach-flowers - also at the end of the book a huge part about gem-colortherapy and from every stone a little photo.

my mother has also a very good book but we can't find it anymore at the moment...pfff...we will find it back some of these days ;)

and because it's difficult to find a book with good photo's i've bought also a gemguide: this is the one i use: 'Gids van Edel- en Sierstenen' from Walter Schumann, Tirion (isbn: 90-5210-288-0)

wavebreaker

rostie said:
i use the book 'Het Edelstenen Handboek' from Orpha Cochie (isbn: 90-6378-529-1)
I bought this book yesterday and I already like it! Thanks!

Phoenix

There are a few that I know of.

Crystal Medicine by Marguerite Elsbeth

The Complete Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magick by Scott Cunningham

Laying on of Stones by DJ Conway

Crystal Enchantments - DJ Conway

I know that the one by Elsbeth has pictures, but am not sure about the others.

Hope these helps.

RAVENAL

stone/crystal books

I'd say read everything you can...which is certainly often contradictory...but take it with a grain of salt...stones all have their individual personalities and abilities...each amethyst is different...my amethyst is different than yours or any of the authors amethysts...even though they share many foundational patterns of energy some do things that others won't or can't...

when purchasing stones...try not to rely on the books, but ask the stones themselves what they will assist you with...they are the best teachers...use what you've learned and keep experimenting...try to be open to new applications that you'd never expect...and aren't in the books...or your former experience...and trust your own intuititions...

quartz is still the easiest to program to do what you want it to do...and it's resonance with the human body is unmatched...and see what stones you are especially drawn to...take them home...they're probably meant for you...

if you want to handle the stones and absorb their energies but haven't yet developed much sensitivity...rub your hands with sandalwood essential oil...it opens the palm chakras...put some on the third eye and the solar plexes...the intuitional centers and be calm, quiet and receptive...also sleep with them...you're learning on different levels when you sleep...

darwinia

Crystal Bible

I pre-ordered this through the library I work in, and it has a publication date of May 2003.

Crystal Bible by Judy Hall
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Walking Stick Press; (May 2003)
ISBN: 1582972400

It is fully illustrated with colour photos which I wanted since I find it difficult to always remember the colours and defining characteristics of all the stones available.

Check it out by doing a search at amazon.com, they've got an Editorial Review of the book and a picture of the cover. I'm not sure if amazon is taking pre-orders but you could ask. They have it listed at Barnes & Noble too and they have a pre-order price up.

Judy Hall has written several books, some of you will probably have her previous books.

Phoenix

Freesia, what kind of book is it? It is a magick book, ore one on crystal healing?

darwinia

Phoenix said:
Freesia, what kind of book is it? It is a magick book, ore one on crystal healing?

Hi Phoenix,

No, not a magick book, strictly on the identification, properties, and applications of stones, but with full colour photos. The page I saw from the publisher's catalogue had the same information as the Editorial Review at amazon. Here are two snippets from that:

"comprehensive guide to crystals, their shapes, colors and applications"

"Descriptions, which accompany each of the crystals, provide all the information on their appearance, worldwide distribution, attributes, actions and healing properties. All the major and less known stones currently available are contained inside, including those only recently discovered. A comprehensive index cross-referencing crystals to applications, aliments and conditions make this book a vital reference for all crystal users"

For those with extensive reference books already, this might not be something you want unless you need a recent publication with an update on recently discovered stones or one with colour photos.

I don't have any books at all, so for me it was worthwhile to pre-order. I hope that by "worldwide distribution" they also mean some information on the different areas of the world where they are mined as I find that fascinating information.

rostie

Re: Crystal Bible

freesiaskye said:
I pre-ordered this through the library I work in, and it has a publication date of May 2003.

Crystal Bible by Judy Hall
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Walking Stick Press; (May 2003)
ISBN: 1582972400

It is fully illustrated with colour photos which I wanted since I find it difficult to always remember the colours and defining characteristics of all the stones available.

Check it out by doing a search at amazon.com, they've got an Editorial Review of the book and a picture of the cover. I'm not sure if amazon is taking pre-orders but you could ask. They have it listed at Barnes & Noble too and they have a pre-order price up.

Judy Hall has written several books, some of you will probably have her previous books.

is there someone here who already have this book??? i would love to hear your reactions about it...

with love,
sara***