Hematite question

JONIKA

Hi
what are the benefits in wearing a hematite pendant?

thanks!
Jonika

Briar Rose

I think Hematite is a stone of protection, and energy. Lots of energy. I think it is also very grounding.

cardlady22

real vs. synthetic

Just be careful about sources. Most of what is sold now is called hemalyke or hematine, which is NOT the same chemical composition.

http://www.mindat.org/mesg-55-94798.html has some mineralogical discussions.

JONIKA

HeavensVault and cardlady22 thank you for your replies. I visited that link => very educational. I had no idea they could make Citrine like that...I've heard of fake hematite before...

cardlady22

I learned a little bit while my husband was learning to do custom casting. (gold and silver)

I find both sides of the equation/discussion to be interesting. There are some "lab-grown" gem materials that are much purer than anything found in Nature due to the lack of inclusions and uniform growing/formation conditions. But, altering a natural stone and labelling it another is unforgiveable! I don't like dyes either. A gray area, for me, is what they call "reconstituted" where they have taken some of the actual material and stabilized it in a resin of some sort.

JONIKA

I don't like dyers at all! :( And neither am I a big fan of "lab-grown" crystals..I am not a control freak that needs to have her crystals 'PERFECT'. I find perfection in the uniqueness of a naturally created crystal...
Sometimes, I am amazed how far people are willing to go for profit. :eek:

Jonika :heart:

HearthCricket

Hematite is supposed to enhance one's physical energy and vitality, to draw out illnesses, calm emotions and boost self-esteem. It is a very grounding stone and is also used to enhance memory and intellect and is used for astral projection and scrying. It is also used for the afterlife and is often found in amulets in the tombs of Pharoahs!

singerofpeace

I find it to be very grounding.

minrice

Does man made hematite have the same properties? I have a string of round hematite beads that I love because it looks like black pearls! But at the price I bought it I doubt it's "real".

cardlady22

"magnetic hematite" properties

After a quick read-through of some related stones/minerals' info, I would say mostly yes. I can go back though a little more in-depth later tonight, but I'm due out for dinner.

The Book of Stones (white cover) by Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian
pp. 178,188 Magnetic Hematite
p. 65 Barite (for the barium)
p. 372 Strontianite (for the strontium)

Love Is In The Earth, Kaleidoscope by Melody
p. 146 Barite- Aquarius
p. 336 Iron (ferrite)- Aries, Leo, Virgo
p. 624 Strontianite- Aries