Bohemian Gothic Tarot Book, to have or not to have?

rosebud_a320

So I can get the deck without the book for a very good price or do I pay over double for the kit containing the book?

How essential is the book in your opinion?

I am finding it very difficult to find an in depth review of the book.

gregory

One reason I am glad of the book is - the cards are so dark that looking at the images of them in the book is sometimes essential to get all the detail visible.... It isn't my favourite book, I have to say - but others disagree. There is a fairly heated thread somewhere here where people talked about it....

Have you tried Watkins, in London, or Mysteries ? They may have stock.

ETA: This is a pretty good price for the kit !

Alta

I thought the book was very helpful, and thought I should answer because gregory is in the minority on this one judging by the original thread. (sorry gregs!) It rounds out the image providing links and references to stories etc.

gregory

Yes, I knew I was in the minority about the book - and I know most get a lot from it - and fair dos. But I do think for the images it is very useful, too - so I was kind of saying get it ! And Mysteries do have it !

The noisy thread was just my suggestion for seeing some kind of review, as one was asked for..

Briar Rose

I would reccomend the book if you like to read. It's not a fast read as there is sooooooo much new information, and well people and things I have never heard of! If you take your time and read the book you will gain so much new knowledge about the Gothic period.

I guess you could say that Karen would be VERY interesting to sit and talk with!

Dancing Bear

I agree with you all,
Get the Book , get a cuppa and sit for a brilliant time with Karen..
The History behind some of the images used is so fasinating, and shows how much work and research has gone into creating this deck. The book for me gave me a feel for the deck.. as I never ever go by the books meaning with any deck, the book was still helpful with the Feel I need, to read a deck.

I agree Heavensvault, Karen would be a treat to sit with and have a conversation with.

rosebud_a320

Hi everyone thankyou so much for the insights on the book, I could not resist purchasing the deck and book set......not looked at it yet.....its all wrapped up under the tree for when I have to play at Christmas lol

Scion

You won't regret it... Karen is a wonderful writer AND has a way of slipping tons of "hard-but-useful" material in under cover of winning anecdotes and entertaining sidebars. A delight.

Just brew a big pot of tea and let her take you by the hand to the dark places... :)

HoneyBea

I think the books that are written by the creators of the deck are well worth having, because they give you insight into what the creator is trying to convey with their particular deck.

I have this book to this deck and it is most helpful.

~HoneyBea~

MomentoMori

i had bought the kit and a second deck(for collection only purposes) without, though its not the best book i have seen come with a deck , i would definately get the kit because it does have it's uses and gives an insight into the deck and has a couple of unique spreads.