Mystic Dreamer Tarot: I--The Magician

afrosaxon

The Magician is a woman dreswsed in a white robe with a golden belt and garland of leaves in her hair. She wears an amulet of some sort around her neck (a tooth?). Her right hand is raised and holds a glowing orb. She is looking up at this orb.

She's in a cave (?); there are trees and stones "outside". This seems to be her secret, private place.

There is green grass under her feet and outside the cave. On her bench are a large, unlit candle; a small gold goblet; a small lit candle; a pentacle; a knife; and something else that I can't identify (image is way too small, even with a magnifying glass). There is a large wand/staff that leans against the table, and it has a glowing orb at its tip. The underbelly of the bench seems to glow (magic of creation?).

A flock of 19 birds flies against the face of the moon. (1+9 = 10, which reduces to 1).

There is a warm feel to this card, but it doesn't really move me like the Magician card in the other decks. I don't get the same sense of having everything you need to make what you want. The woman is focusing a lot on the orb...focusing on the magic outside her. Or is her magic making the orb glow?

Thoughts?

T.

EarthFaery

Oh, I love this card! I agree with you, it is very warm and inviting and has a different feel than your typical magician, maybe because it's a woman or the way she's looking at the orb, I don't know. It makes me think of rituals and magick. The look on her face seems pretty intense, and the orb looks like the same ball of light on her staff, but it looks as though she created the orb herself.
Thanks for pointing out the birds, I never noticed the number of them, very cool! There's a little spider web in the upper corner of the table, and on the table itself also 2 little black spiders oop, make that 3, thanks to my husband :laugh: he has really good eyes, oh my, now he says there's 4 spiders, 2 are up in the webs on either side of her head. I had to get out the dollar store reading glasses to see them...I can't really see the one behind her head but he swears it's there.
I think the unidentified object may be a scrying mirror?

meril13

afrosaxon said:
A flock of 19 birds flies against the face of the moon. (1+9 = 10, which reduces to 1).

T.

... how did that reduce? o_O

this card is very earthy/ i like it :) the table has a bunch of tools that i recognize as wiccan tools. maybe she is a witch and the glowing orb is the work of whatever rite/ritual/spell she has cast? she has the looks of a master about her, like she knows what she is doing

oh wow, there are a lot of spiders!

meril13

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! i get it :p thankyou

Alan Ross

Like the Magician in many RWS-based decks, this Magician is reaching above with her right hand, channeling energy/inspiration from above, and gesturing toward the ground with her left hand, indicating manifestation on the earthly plane. This is echoed in the scenery behind her, with a tree reaching upward on her right, while on her left is a low pile of boulders, perhaps representing grounding.

In front of her is an altar with her rituals tools - a sword, a chalice, a pentacle, and, leaning against the altar, a staff (wand). There is another object on the altar I wasn't certain about, but I agree with SMV that it's probably a scrying mirror. Barbara Moore makes an interesting point about the prominence of the staff, representing the suit of wands, and the presence of candles on the altar, symbolizing fire, the element associated with wands. She indicates that the preeminence of wand symbolism in this card stresses the importance of will in achieving goals, but I would say, since wands are the most energetic of the four suits, that the application of energy and taking action is also stressed.

I find it interesting that the glowing orb in her right hand is echoed by a glowing orb set into her staff. Is she channeling energy into her staff? Perhaps this is another way of symbolizing spiritual energy being transformed into concrete action. She is wearing a white robe, signifying the purity of her intentions. She also appears to be wearing some sort of crown or tiara, perhaps of oak leaves. I found the following info on the symbolism of oak trees from a pagan site (http://www.controverscial.com/Oak.htm):

"In ancient times great Oak forests covered much of Britain and Western Europe and many sacred holy groves were formed in them for worship, dedicated to the gods by the many different cultures that inhabited them. Growing in close proximity to each other, the Oaks of the forest were often struck by lightening and visibly hit by the “fires from heaven” as it cracked and flashed overhead. To the ancients this was a channel through which the power of the thunder gods reached down to mankind and so the Oak became associated with the element of Fire."

Alan

Azurylipfe

What i tried to tell with The magician:

Figure in the magician is male with long brown hair . ( for some reason all the highlights in the hair of the models in the cards made them more blond then they are , even the redheads turned blond :s )

The orb he is holding represents the result of our willpower and determination, when we want something and get after it , we will get what we wanted. The way he looks at the orb tells you that you can accomplisch anything you want as long as you stay focused on the goal and result.

objects on table , burning candles,goblet, knife, pentacle and a book
3 spiders and 19 birds
He is in a cave. his own private place, a place where he can think and rethink what he has learned so that he can put it back into practice.
he create the orb himself, meaning he is getting the result after lots of determination to get the result he wants with falling and rising. The orb in his wand shows that he is the ' force' , and that he did it all by himself.