Touchstone Tarot ~ Five of Cups

stargazer

Five of Cups

This one keeps coming up in my readings.

When I look at the man in this card, I just see despair and disappointment.
He also looks very angry.

My eye is always drawn to the stormy sea through the window.
It seems to reflect his mood.

I am finding it very hard to see anything positive here. :(

JONIKA

Hi
here is the card:

Attachments

• 40cups05.jpg
    40cups05.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 172

Apollonia

My Touchstone Five of Cups shows him holding a book instead of a white cloth, with his index finger inserted into the pages as a place holder. I wonder why the difference?

I do see something somewhat positive in the white cloth, as it is a symbol of surrender and purity. I feel that he will use the cloth to polish up the cups that have fallen, and regain their worth through his own efforts. I also see the sun beginning to break through the clouds in the background.

With the book, I see him having learned something valuable that he will keep with him--a material loss, but a gaining of wisdom.

stargazer

Hi Jonika thanks for posting the picture.

Hi Apollonia, thanks for your input, the pictures on the Touchstone website are of the new revised edition that is coming out for general release in the New Year.
Kat has said that she had the opportunity to alter some of the images for the new deck.
It just makes our limited edition that bit more special in my opinion. :D

I like your take on both the book and the white cloth, something I had not considered before, so thanks for that.

Apollonia

stargazer said:
Hi Apollonia, thanks for your input, the pictures on the Touchstone website are of the new revised edition that is coming out for general release in the New Year.
Kat has said that she had the opportunity to alter some of the images for the new deck.
It just makes our limited edition that bit more special in my opinion. :D

Oh, that's interesting--now I guess I'll have to get the revised version, too--I liked the substitution of the white cloth, and I want to see what else is changed!

morticia monroe

Whatever happened has upset him enough that he has put everything on hold to bemoan it,,,,

The small cove where his home stands has the appearance of having been through quite a storm, everything looks thrashed, beaten, jagged, and in disarray, the storm is freshly abating, with giant waves still swelling farther offshore and only now is the sun breaking through.

He wears black,,as though he is in a period of mourning, and he holds the place in his book where he has had to put his study or reading on hold, put aside until thigs are back to some semblance of normal.

I surmise that he has suffered a tragedy or setback of some importance, enough to put his life on hold to mourn,,,and the fact that out of five cups THREE (more than half) have fallen tell me that this incident weighs very heavily on him. The two remaining cups show a hope for time to come, but at the moment, his grief must be dealt with. Only then will he be able to get back to what lies ahead, his future, and finish his book (which for me seems to represent his life).