The Strength & The fool : an ideal couple?

Maggiemay

Theoritically, some would argue that the Strength would make an ideal couple with the Fool.

The argument being that they compliment each other's energy since she subjugates her animal instincts whereas the Fool is being pushed forward by his animal instincts ( deck reference : TdM)

But in reality, could you see such a couple work out? ( basing your appreciation on the actual meaning & energy of those two cards)

I would think them to be an odd couple but I would love to be convinced of the contrary....

Personally, I prefer to see the Strength with the Emperor.

Maggie

poivre

I feel the Fool could couple up with anyone,
with no strings attached! :D

Maggiemay

ros said:
I feel the Fool could couple up with anyone,
with no strings attached! :D

LOL. That goes without saying!!! But could he ''couple up'' better with the Strength than say... with the HP?

poivre

I think he could get into and out of any kind of
relationship due to their
"oh well here I go again" attitude.

I can't take the Fool card seriously. I feel it's like an energy,
full of possibilities that just keeps moving on through
whatever is going on. Never really staying anywhere for
any length of time.
It's like there is no connection, bumping into anything that
bumps into them.
Tries any relationship once or anything once, just out
of curiousity.

yes, no...maybe??? :D

To be honest...I don't really know. :D

ros
:)

Maggiemay

ros said:
yes, no...maybe??? :D

To be honest...I don't really know. :D

ros

:) me, neither... that's why I asked!!! lol

Thank you for your post ros.

Thirteen

I agree with Ros. It's "foolish" to ask what two cards would make the perfect couple as many of the cards have something either in common or opposite each other. The Tarot is that rich. Which is to say, I could as easily argue that the Fool and the World would make the perfect couple, as the Fool knows nothing and the World know Everything, the Fool is, arguably the beginning the World the end, etc. Or I could say the Hermit and The Fool would make a perfect couple, as the Hermit is hiding from the world and goes out at night, and the Fool going out into the world, all exposed, in the daylight.

I can go on and on. Just because there is an opposition of one aspect between cards doesn't mean that they couple together well, let along perfectly.

But it's a good thing that you're seeing such similarities and differences. They can help in readings.

Maggiemay

Thirteen said:
I agree with Ros. It's "foolish" to ask what two cards would make the perfect couple

Not the perfect couple...that would be too easy.

No, in fact, what I wanted to explore was : what would a couple being represented in a reading by the Strength and the Fool be like? Not only as couple actually, but why not as a set of parents too.

Just to get a feel for different card combinations. You see, I don't do a whole lot of readings at all and so a lot of the time I resort to theoritical ( and analytical )approach to understand the fullest possible meaning of the tarot cards & their various combinations.

It certainly is true that nothing is set in stones and nothing is static as far as energy combinations are concerned.

Thirteen said:
as many of the cards have something either in common or opposite each other. The Tarot is that rich. Which is to say, I could as easily argue that the Fool and the World would make the perfect couple, as the Fool knows nothing and the World know Everything, the Fool is, arguably the beginning the World the end, etc. Or I could say the Hermit and The Fool would make a perfect couple, as the Hermit is hiding from the world and goes out at night, and the Fool going out into the world, all exposed, in the daylight.

I see your point.

Thirteen said:
I can go on and on. Just because there is an opposition of one aspect between cards doesn't mean that they couple together well, let along perfectly.

Agree.

Thirteen said:
But it's a good thing that you're seeing such similarities and differences. They can help in readings.

afrosaxon

Maggiemay said:
. You see, I don't do a whole lot of readings at all and so a lot of the time I resort to theoritical ( and analytical )approach to understand the fullest possible meaning of the tarot cards & their various combinations.

Tarot is not a computer program. There is no GIGO (garbage in, garbage out), or even WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). You can read every tarot book known to man; theory and analysis will only take you so far, since tarot is an intuitive tool. And as for card combinations...hah! They are legion, and don't mean the same thing from reading to reading (same thing for the cards). The Page + 6 of Wands can mean something different in a reading for a career for than for a reading for a relationship. And that same card combo for, say, a career reading can mean something different for person A than it does for person B (same card combo, same reading subject). Surrounding cards, card position(s) [if using a spread]...all those have bearing on how a reading is interpreted. And interpretation comes from the gut, not the head.

The only way to truly understand tarot in all its dimensions is to read. For yourself, for others. The Reading Exchange is a good place to practice here.

And you will never stop learning.

Just my $.02.

T.

Thirteen

Maggiemay said:
what would a couple being represented in a reading by the Strength and the Fool be like?
I figured that's what you were saying, but let me ask you...why would you use those cards to represent the couple?

See, the reason court cards are most often used as signifiers for people is because then you don't have to take important cards out of the deck--cards that the deck may want to use to give you very useful information. To take out two majors like that to act as signifiers rather than relying on the courts doesn't seem like the best way to go about it.

If one person in the couple is a Leo, and the other is an Air sign (as the Fool is "Air"), then why not use a Wands and Sword court card as their signifiers? Then you free up the Fool and Strength for the deck to tell you important things.

Or, if you're asking about these cards coming up in a spread to signify them, well usually in couple's spreads those cards will be in a position. Like "How he/she sees you." This means that the guy may see the girl as strong, and the girl may see the guy as a Fool...but that doesn't mean that's what they are or how they see themselves.

I'm just a little confused as to how you "theorize" these two cards coming up as signifying two people--what they are--and answering the question of whether they'll get along. In my experience with many different spreads and such, this seems like a long-shot. But if you want to go long-shot, I'd say that they won't make the best couple. The Strength has strong ideas, the Fool does not. And Strength doesn't have time for anyone who hasn't made up their minds on where they're going or what they want.

GreenMoonBeam

Maggiemay said:
Not the perfect couple...that would be too easy.

No, in fact, what I wanted to explore was : what would a couple being represented in a reading by the Strength and the Fool be like? Not only as couple actually, but why not as a set of parents too.

Looking at this, your question is even more interesting to me. Are you asking
are what are they as a couple OR as a set of parents because that involves
another dynamic. A couple is different from a set of parents by virtue of the
third party, the child. Yet it comes done to what Thirteen said, not a good
combination,imho.