The Ur Visconti Bateleur/Magician?

Rosanne

http://diglit.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg371/
http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/104/Visconti_Sporza#3.jpg
There is a existing Bateleur/Magician called Lombardy I Of the Visconti group- but I cannot find an image as it seems in a Private collection.

In R V O’Neill’s Book Tarot Symbolism, the writer attempts to show or disprove how symbolic symbols might have entered into the design of Tarot.. For example he discusses Tarot as derived from the Triumphal Procession, or Neo-Platonism thought, Mystery schools etc.
In one section he discusses another theory – The Grail Legend.
He comes to this conclusion…
It appears that the similarities in symbols are simply due to Grail Poets and Tarot designers drawing from the same set of allegorical and mystical symbols to communicate their message. Just as we have found with the Triumphal processions, the correlation of symbols may imply familiarity and influence but not cause and effect…..some images may have been taken from or influenced by these sources. But Tarot is not simply pictures of a Parade or illustrations for the Grail Legend. The evidence is not strong enough to compel us to accept either theory (Triumphal Parades and Grail Legends)

I think there is evidence that the Visconti deck was a result or an illustration of a very early poem that is considered within the Grail Legend tradition.
This Poem is called Lanzelet and was written by Ulrich von Zatzikhoven sometime after 1194. It is apparently the first written story of Lancelot tradition in German.
There are three manuscripts from the 1420’s still extant and one partial. This poem has a distinct difference to other Grail Romances- there is no adulterous affair between Lancelot and Guinevere - a main difference.

In very distinct ways the poem echoes Francesco Sforza’s trials and tribulations and the success of his ongoing determination to marry Bianca Visconti- the success of his desire to be Duke of Milan and his use of the dowry of Bianca- the good and bad Fortune that was his road to the Duchy of Milan. The Poem has many facets- some that are like other Grail Romances and some that are different. Lanzelet is the child of King Ban and his Queen Helaine. In his infancy his father is driven from his Kingdom and they take Lanzelet with them, the King dies and Lanzelet is raised by the Lady of the Lake in her mysterious Kingdom where it is always Spring. He knows not his destiny or his name and when he is fifteen he rides in search of what adventure may bring. He ultimately reconquers his rightful heritage, after marrying Iblis the daughter of Iweret who is his enemy and they reign in Peace in the lands of Iblis- living long to see their three sons and one daughter have children. The Dolourous Garde becomes the Joyous Garde.
The story is about changing the old order for the new; the admiration of Lanzelet for Iblis who “shines so strongly of her female perfection”; regaining what was rightfully his; the demonstrating that the act of pleasing the World must be in tandem with the ideals of Christianity in the sense of chivalry. Love and Marriage are a central theme and by the end of the poem there is the suggestion that one should conduct matrimonial matters wisely, and that proper management of one’s rightful heritage go hand in hand with that wisdom. Also contained within the poem is a key concept of Luck in what happens to Lanzelet. He starts his journey as unconcerned and irresponsible- looking for adventure, and ends his story as a responsible and concerned ruler, with the lovely Iblis by his side.

I hope you enjoy this exploration of an idea and it's feasibility.
More correlations to come between Francesca Sforza and Lanzelet..and there is many.

~Rosanne

BrightEye

I don't know, Rosanne. I don't see how this poem reflects Tarot more faithfully than other literary texts of the middle ages. At first glance, just going by your summary of the poem, I don't see any Tarot correspondences at all. What I do see is a number of recurring literary themes of the medieval period.

The fact that he starts his journey inexperienced and irresponsible may look to us like the Fool's journey, but to a literary historian it may not.

Rosanne

Hi BrightEye!
I was fortunate to read (and am still waiting for copy to arrive) Ulrich von Zatzikhoven's `Lanzelet': Narrative Style and Entertainment
Nicola McLelland who is a lecturer at Trinity in Dublin. It was this and correspondence with an Italian from Milan over the last 6 months that have lead me to wonder about this. This particular poem- not the common Medieval motive as a whole. It is the echo of the poem in this particular form, to the life of Francesco Sforza and would seem an ideal celebratory event on the grounds of the Certosa of Pavia in the Hunting grounds. In the images themselves- there are these references to the Hunting grounds.
Here is one particular event. Francesco Sforza was imprisoned by Visconti in the Mortara Castle (near Pavia Hunting Grounds)for treachery. He was released when needed by Fillipo Visconti- but also by the diplomacy of Francesco's sister. In the poem, Mabuz's Prison is Moreiz Castle and through the intervention
of a sister (the lady of the Lake) Mabuz is released.
Of course all of these events in tandem could be coincidental- but the images themselves speak that this could be a play of perfect choice to celebrate Francesco and his wife Bianca. When Lanzelet leaves for his adventures he is described as having feathers in his hair and then you have this.....
http://diglit.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg371/0010?sid=0aac3bb823472d13267642e9c9609fc5

by this time Lanzelet could ride- he could not when he started because he had been raised among women.
Of course there have been images of the foolish with feathered headdress - like in the Padua chapel- but as you go through the deck you see more relationships to this particular poem.
~Rosanne

BrightEye

Rosanne said:
This particular poem- not the common Medieval motive as a whole. It is the echo of the poem in this particular form, to the life of Francesco Sforza and would seem an ideal celebratory event on the grounds of the Certosa of Pavia in the Hunting grounds. In the images themselves- there are these references to the Hunting grounds.
So the poem is an allegory of the life of Francesco Sforza?

Rosanne

Hi BrightEye!

If you look at the life of Francesco Sforza, with his road through Fortune,Fame, Dishonour, quest for Milan, determination to marry Bianca, the unending struggle with his future father-in-law and broken promises, the places he won, the places he lost, the dowry lands of Bianca, his dreams and his attitudes that we know about; and you read the poem (which has 9000 or so lines) you might justifiably think there is a similarity that it would make a event to celebrate his and Bianca's life- a play or poetry reading with the characters of the play echoing this; and thus also cards.
Add to that that the artist Boniface Bembo may have painted a similar story in a manuscript in 1446 that is called because there is no title page 'The Lady of the Lake'. The manuscript that I first linked of Lanzelet was apparently found in Cremona or Pavia- Cremona where the Bembo family lived. There has been found some small illuminations that appear to belong to to a choirbook produced in Cremona attributed to Bembo that is called his early work -and seems to be consistent with the style of the Lady of the lake manuscript and to be directly inspired by an artist Pisanello who painted a fresco cycle in the Gonzaga castle of Mantua. This fresco cycle is drawn from the Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table legend.
Because of the different emphasis of the poem about Lanzelet- as I outlined in opening post- it would be a more suitable celebration story to put on the cards- than the adulterous affair of Guinevere.
In the poem Lanzelet fights hard for his wife Iblis who is beautiful and faithful- he fights and kills Iblis's father and regains his inheritance and turns it from a sad place into a joyous place with a long and happy marriage. The poem has a forest and a hunting ground and a Hermit and a tower- a treacherous one, noble virtues and a virginal Lady of the Lake, a wise one etc etc.
So it is an allegory?- no more like a fairystory or a folk tale with the 'happy ever after' ending. Combine that with the support of the monastery of Pavia, that is thought the cards are depicted at (well the Hunting grounds that go from the Monastery to Pavia) you have a perfect story to celebrate Francesca and Bianca in cards.

I am still waiting for my book to arrive so I can quote the translation to attach to the different cards.
It struck me so strongly when I read it (reference library book to be read at the library arghhhh) that this was what the Visconti cards was about. There is a section about this idea in Kaplan Vol II- but not that it was this German poem Lanzelet.

Have I rambled clearly or muddied the water?
~Rosanne

BrightEye

I'm not sure I'm convinced, but it doesn't matter whether I am or not. We know there is a link between the cards and the Visconti/Sforza families. I can't see that there is a definite link between the Visconti/Sforza families and the poem, only one that may be inferred. But then, that is what academic debate is all about.

Whatever the case may be, I'm looking forward to reading the passages from the poems matched to the cards!

Rosanne

No you have not killed the thread BrightEye :D

The first link was the the opening lines of the poem that if I recall went something like this ..... He who can understand a right word - he should be wise to mind... [the story he is about to tell that he has written]
That is him at his writing desk with pen.

Now the Visconti Sforza Magician (as we call him) is the only Magician with a pen in his hand. I thank Kwaw for this observation and the Italian gentleman whom I communicate with over the Visconti cards- then recognised this guy as the narrator and possible writer of a story. He commented on the fact that I had told him of the Certosa of Pavia- the Monastery that was funded and rebuilt by Sforza seemed to have a parallel with the writer of Lanzelet.
It is generally accepted that Ulrich von Zatzikhoven is Uolricus de Cecinchoven, who occurs as a witness to a deed of gift by the Counts of Toggenburg in favour of the Monastery of Saint Peterzell. This was 29th March 1214. Two hundred + something years later on the day and month a deed in favour of the Carthusian Monastery the Certosa of Pavia was executed. There is apparently evidence of some sort of celebration event to mark this. I am also trying to narrow down the year.
On the table of the Visconti Sforza is what is described as a hat/cake/lump of material. I think it a straw hat. In 1438 Sforza was in his lands won by war in the Marche a province on the coast of Italy and it was declared by Visconti that he could marry Bianca. So Sforza made elaborate preparations around the town of Fermo in the Marche for the wedding. Even back then- you know what Fermo was famous for? Straw Hats- the finest Italian straw Hats. Visconti changed his mind and did not allow the wedding to proceed. It apparently infuriated Sforza (as it would) he had spent a huge amount of money- that he was hard pressed to get- so he had to pawn stuff to a Jewish Pawnbroker/Banker in Ancona. This is not the first nor the last time he had to do this. This is when he formed this steely soldiers attitude that he would marry Bianca come what may. Anecdotally he apparently went to a church in Fermo (not the wedding Basilica) and at the Altar of the Holy Crucifix, where the urn preserving the body of Blessed Adamo is placed, surrounded by four wooden statues representing the cardinal virtues Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance- he placed a straw hat to signify he was unpaid by his Patron.

Hows That as a fill in on people at three legged tables with pens in their hands- while I await the translation of the poem?
~Rosanne

BrightEye

Rosanne said:
No you have not killed the thread BrightEye :D

The first link was the the opening lines of the poem that if I recall went something like this ..... He who can understand a right word - he should be wise to mind... [the story he is about to tell that he has written]
That is him at his writing desk with pen.

Now the Visconti Sforza Magician (as we call him) is the only Magician with a pen in his hand. I thank Kwaw for this observation and the Italian gentleman whom I communicate with over the Visconti cards- then recognised this guy as the narrator and possible writer of a story. He commented on the fact that I had told him of the Certosa of Pavia- the Monastery that was funded and rebuilt by Sforza seemed to have a parallel with the writer of Lanzelet.
It is generally accepted that Ulrich von Zatzikhoven is Uolricus de Cecinchoven, who occurs as a witness to a deed of gift by the Counts of Toggenburg in favour of the Monastery of Saint Peterzell. This was 29th March 1214. Two hundred + something years later on the day and month a deed in favour of the Carthusian Monastery the Certosa of Pavia was executed. There is apparently evidence of some sort of celebration event to mark this. I am also trying to narrow down the year.
On the table of the Visconti Sforza is what is described as a hat/cake/lump of material. I think it a straw hat. In 1438 Sforza was in his lands won by war in the Marche a province on the coast of Italy and it was declared by Visconti that he could marry Bianca. So Sforza made elaborate preparations around the town of Fermo in the Marche for the wedding. Even back then- you know what Fermo was famous for? Straw Hats- the finest Italian straw Hats. Visconti changed his mind and did not allow the wedding to proceed. It apparently infuriated Sforza (as it would) he had spent a huge amount of money- that he was hard pressed to get- so he had to pawn stuff to a Jewish Pawnbroker/Banker in Ancona. This is not the first nor the last time he had to do this. This is when he formed this steely soldiers attitude that he would marry Bianca come what may. Anecdotally he apparently went to a church in Fermo (not the wedding Basilica) and at the Altar of the Holy Crucifix, where the urn preserving the body of Blessed Adamo is placed, surrounded by four wooden statues representing the cardinal virtues Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance- he placed a straw hat to signify he was unpaid by his Patron.

Hows That as a fill in on people at three legged tables with pens in their hands- while I await the translation of the poem?
~Rosanne
That was brillian, dear Rosanne!! I always had an innate sense that the Magician was a writer, way before I ever looked at a Visconti deck. That is such a cool idea!