Touchstone Tarot~The Fool

stargazer

I like this fool he looks young and venerable.
I like the way that his robe has slipped off his shoulder it makes me feel that maybe he has left himself a little exposed.

The cliff in the background suggests that he has left a place of safety to take a journey into the unknown.

I also like the dog in this card – his faithful companion and guardian.
He is resting his head on the young mans shoulder as if he is trying to stop him from going any further on his path.
Perhaps he is trying to warn him of unseen danger.

I’m not sure what to make of the flute, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 00fool.jpg
    00fool.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 267

loobiloo

The flute looks wooden to me, so perhaps a reminder to stay grounded? Also music would very much fit the nature of this card.

I like the way the blue sky is revealed behind wispy clouds. It looks bright and tempting before him, a promise of something good ahead.

What about the flower on his hat though? Pink for following one's heart perhaps?

morticia monroe

He's just a baby-faced little cherub, isn't he?

Fresh from the nest, off into the wild blue yonder to see what he can see,,, he hasn't really given it a lot of thought,,,he's hurriedly dressed and the only thing he brought with him was his flute. But he loves that little flute because he has music in his heart.

But no other posessions? Maybe he left on a whim, out for a walk and just never went back sort of thing, or maybe he's depending on the kindness of God or strangers to help him if he has need.

Or maybe it's all he really has...

Or maybe he's just a Fool.

His faithful dog accompanies him. To me, she appears to be resting her head on his arm as if to stay him. She's hungry and knows it's suppertime and food is at home. Either way, she'll stay with him on his adventure .

Zezina

Touchstone Fool

morticia monroe said:
His faithful dog accompanies him. To me, she appears to be resting her head on his arm as if to stay him. She's hungry and knows it's suppertime and food is at home. Either way, she'll stay with him on his adventure .
I think you got it in one, Mortica, when you suggest that his faithful little white dog is a female - she knows its her job to keep an eye on the young boy of her family no matter where he goes. :TFOOL

kell

To me, this Fool has the most unusual expression I've come across. He doesn't look giddy-happy, or la-la-la like the RWS Fool. He looks like a wise Fool - almost a pensive look. Like a part of him knows that once he starts on this journey, there is no turning back. Also, the connection to the wooden flute is a good one. I also think it's a symbol of being more earthy and grounded.

Pax

The fool is carrying a basket. According to the LWB, it is "casually strung on his back." He's choosing to focus on what's "at hand" (flute) rather than what's important (possessions in his basket).