Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Melanchollic

By popular request (well, a few people anyway), I'll post some of my reflections on the pips and courts, or the 'minors' as the occultists called them. My sources are mainly classical, though some as late as the 16th century. These methods are best used with real tarot gaming decks. Obviously Waite's deck and Crowley's deck, and most modern Tarot decks are designed around the systems of their creators. I tried to base my 'system' objectively on classical and period sources, so my interpretations will have little in common with the popular tarot systems, including those used for the Marseille decks like Marteau's or Camoin's.

I base my interpretation of the pips and courts on several factors -

• The suit emblems.

• The ascending and descending rankings of the suits.

• The element of the suit.

• The element of the number.

• The planetary energy of the number.

• The arithmology of the number.

Two sources stand out as influencing my approach to card interpretation, and I recommend them to one and all -

Iamblichus' The Theology of Arithmetic.

Aristotle's Generation and Corruption

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/a/aristotle/corruption/book2.html

Some knowledge of Plato, Plotinus, and traditional European astrology and alchemy is also helpful.

Many of the supporting pieces of framework that support this system are scattered through out various posts in the Tarot History & Iconography section of AT. A few essential bits can be found here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1620790&postcount=97

and here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1621209&postcount=98

and here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1540307&postcount=332

Melanchollic

Ace of Swords

ACE OF SWORDS

Nickname - "Unexpected Misfortune"
Element - Fire/Fire
Temper - Choleric
Power - Hot/Dry
Timing - Fast/Long
Movement - Separating/Rigid
Direction - South
In the cycle of a year - July
In the cycle of a day - Noon
In the cycle of a life - Age 14~21
Sex - Male
Similar Cards - 7 Swords, King Swords

The suit of Swords represents struggles and challenges. The Ace is the lowest rank of this suit, hence it is the least dignified and the most malefic.

The One is undifferentiated unity, and all-encompassing so it isn't self aware, as self awareness requires a separation of the self from itself to be able to have awareness (Plotinus). It is like the Zen saying, "Enjoying the Cherry Blossoms, realizing your enjoying the Cherry Blossoms... You've already lost them." I hope that makes sense! :(

Both the Ace and the suit of Swords are Fire, giving this card a hot/dry energy. Heat is said to cause things of the same kind to join, and things that are different to separate. This supports the 'One' nature of this card, as it is purely itself, and all that is different is removed.

The lack of self-awareness, coupled with the swiftness of heat brings the misfortunes of the Sword into sudden unexpected manifestation. They appear undetected and unseen. Sudden rage or violence, accidents and injuries spontaneously combust from the dry fiery heat.

In the cycle of the year this card shares the same energy as the Summer Solstice. This peak of fiery energy begins the swing back to its opposite, and the days begin to grow shorter and shorter. Being the 'worst' card, misfortune has also has reached its peak, and begins a return toward its opposite. We can see this hidden benefic aspect in the card's dark compassion. The swift and unexpected nature of its ills are never felt before hand. The One is associated with the Sun, and even here in the Ace of Swords there is a hint of Solar kindness.

Short Example Reading

The Querent asks: "My company is going to lay-off 300 workers. Am I one of them?"

Card #1 (The Querent) = Judgement
Card #2 (The Quesited) = The Fool
Card #3 (How they interact) = Ace of Swords

Judgement: The querent is positive (Judgement). The company is not good (The Fool). The interaction is horrible (1 Sword). The company has been 'foolish' and is in a bad way. The Ace as interaction suggests that the querent will indeed lose his job, but all is not lost. Judgement shows us that despite this misfortune, the querent will 'rise again', in an even better situation.

Melanchollic

Ace of Cups

ACE OF CUPS

Nickname - "Divine Oneness"
Element - Fire/Air
Temper - Choleric Sanguine
Power - Hot
Timing - Fast
Movement - Separating
Direction - Southeast
In the cycle of a year - May/June
In the cycle of a day - Late Morning
In the cycle of a life - Age 7~14
Sex - Male
Similar Cards - King Cups, 7 Cups, Knight Swords, 9 Swords, 5 Swords, 3 Swords

The common energy between the suit of Cups (Air) and the One (Fire) is heat. The Ace of Cups is the strongest pip in the most benefic suit, so it is simply, the best pip.

Heat is separative of things of different kinds, yet causes things of the same kind to join. The Ace is the undifferentiated. Here, this is the embodiment of spiritual oneness - unity with the divine. This unity is only possible if one is 'like' the divine - of pure heart and spirit. If not, the energy of heat characteristic of the Choleric Sanguine will quickly separate any difference, and the unity lost. This is a spirituality beyond all self consciousness or any trace of pretentiousness. Here is the craftsman at one with his material, the musician dissolved into his performance, the lover and the beloved melded through passion.

In all matters the Ace of Cups shows a total perfect union via heat, free from doubt, a true oneness brought about by complete likeness, a perfect state of "not two". In any action, it shows immediacy, natural spontaneity, complete freedom from deliberations, and perfect execution.

Short Example Reading

The Querent asks: "I've had a long time interest in Early American furniture, and have wanted to learn how to make it myself, but I don't have any experience working with my hands. Would furniture making be a hobby I could stick with and find rewarding?"

Card #1 (The Querent) = The Virtue of Fortitude
Card #2 (The Quesited) = Father Time
Card #3 (How they interact) = Ace of Cups

Judgement: I interpret the virtue cards a little differently than most readers. I view them as something that is needed - Justice is a need for fairness, Fortitude is a need for courage, and Temperance is a need for moderation. Here, the querent needs to have the courage to 'take the leap' and go ahead and start this hobby. The hobby is shown as Father Time. This craft will take time to master and the querent will need to be patient and steadfast. The Ace of Cups shows the interaction between the querent and the hobby. He will 'become one' with his craft, and it will be extremely fulfilling for him.

Bernice

WONDERFUL - you heard us! YAY!

I think this thread should be a sticky.
Only my opinion... but as the divination is based on researchable historic elements it would be an asset to those who wish to consider divining with the Historical/pre-RiderWaite decks.

Many thanks Mel. :)
And---- if you actually DO write a book (or downloadable Text document), as you once implied you might do, I would download it/buy it.

A delighted Bee :)

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
Many thanks Mel. :)
And---- if you actually DO write a book (or downloadable Text document), as you once implied you might do, I would download it/buy it.

A delighted Bee :)

I don't know about a downloadable book, as I only accept payment via homemade baked goods! But from you Bee, a proper English roast dinner would work too. "Slurp!"

Bernice

One Sunday roast dinner coming up.......... including stuffing and yorkshire pudding. :) :) :)

Bee :)

Melanchollic

Ace of Coins

ACE OF COINS

Nickname - "Peace"
Element - Fire/Water
Temper - Choleric Phlegmatic
Power - all
Timing - random
Movement - random
Direction - North South axis
In the cycle of a year - none
In the cycle of a day - none
In the cycle of a life - none
Sex - both
Similar Cards - 2 Swords, 6 Swords, 8 Swords, Queen Swords, 7 Coins, King Coins

The Ace is Fire, and the Coins are Water. These two elements are natural opposites, and the four powers (heat, cold, dryness, moisture) are sometimes difficult to reconcile. The Ace of Coins' well dignified rank, and the unifying characteristic of the 'One' works to reconciles these oppositions perfectly. This card is representative of peace, diplomacy, and successful mediation.

In many of the historic decks the Ace of Coins resembles a Mariner's Rose Compass. This brings to mind the traditional associations of the element of Water (seafaring), the Phlegmatic temperament to trade and merchants (and by association, the suit of Coins), and the benefits of diplomacy, peace, mutual agreements, and the reconciliation of differences in successful ventures.

cardlady22

Might I tempt you with cream cheese crepes covered in a rich sauce of apples?!

Melanchollic

cardlady22 said:
Might I tempt you with cream cheese crepes covered in a rich sauce of apples?!

Mmmmm. That sounds heavenly. By candlelight? ;)

Melanchollic

Ace of Batons

ACE OF BATONS

Nickname - "Obsession"
Element - Earth/Fire
Temper - Melancholic Choleric
Power - Dry
Timing - Long
Movement - Rigid
Direction - Southwest
In the cycle of a year - August/September
In the cycle of a day - Afternoon
In the cycle of a life - Age 21~28
Sex - Male
Similar Cards - 4 Swords, 10 Swords, Valet Swords, 7 Batons, King of Batons

The Ace of Batons is the least dignified of the Batons. The suit is moderately malefic, being representative of labors and exertions. The Fire of the Ace, and the Earth of the Batons share the Dry power.

The energy here is contractive and formative. The negative dignity makes this card unreceptive, inflexible and laborious.

The nature of the 'One' is unity, here seen as exclusion. The card shows us a rigid single purpose. It is obsession - an enduring, inflexible labor that blinds us to everything else.