Who are those people? (Deck: Im Haus der gefiederten Schlange)

Cat*

A few days ago, I got the book "Im Haus der gefiederten Schlange" with attached tarot deck (majors only -- here are the scans from Tarot Garden).

The book itself is a collection of stories, at least some of which seem to be heavily inspired by historical figures. Alas, the only one I've recognized so far is Tina Modotti who is featured on the "Gerechtigkeit" (= Justice) card and called Gina Pelotti in the accompanying story (see attached image for the card and this image for the inspiration).

But there are other cards that seem to remind me of someone... Most of all, the Kaiser (Emperor), Mässigkeit (Temperance) and Sonne (Sun), but possibly also the Hierophant and Narr (Fool). The stories offer clues about the Sun (could it be Ludwig/Louis XIV, the Sun King? at least the story is set at a Fairy Court, the main character is called Tam Lin) and about Temperance (the character is called Henri Beyle and the story seems to be set during the times of Napoleon Bonaparte), but not about any of the others.

So, if anyone recognizes anyone on the attached pictures, I'd be grateful for any hints, especially if you have any illustrations that might have served as the inspiration!

Oh, and the book/deck has been printed in 1990, but the most recent story in it is set in the 1960s in the USA, so I don't expect any historical figure from after that - but that's just my guesswork so far.

Attachments

• IHGS_justice_tina-modotti.jpg
    IHGS_justice_tina-modotti.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IHGS_emperor_temperance_sun.jpg
    IHGS_emperor_temperance_sun.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IHGS_hierophant_fool.jpg
    IHGS_hierophant_fool.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 273

BrightEye

No help per se, BUT I LOVE THAT HIEROPHANT!!! I want that deck!

Sophie

Henri Beyle is the real name of the French writer Stendhal - author of the Red and the Black and the Charterhouse of Parma. And it is indeed his portrait :)

(Fabrice, the hero of the Charterhouse of Parma took part in the Battle of Waterloo).

Cat*

Thank you for the many helpful clues!

Moonsparkle said:
They might not be historical enough to fit, but
the emperor reminds me of Sigmund Freud
the fool reminds me of harpo marx
Yes, Harpo Marx sounds like exactly who I've been looking for! Now that you mention him, I've just verified my suspicion that he was the Marx Brother who never talked - just like the character of the initial story of the book!

I'm not entirely sure about Sigmund Freud, though, judging from the image alone. I keep thinking of John Houston - but why pick him for the Emperor?

Fudugazi said:
Henri Beyle is the real name of the French writer Stendhal
Duh! I wouldn't have thought it was as easy as just googling the character names! :D

Fudugazi said:
- author of the Red and the Black and the Charterhouse of Parma. And it is indeed his portrait

(Fabrice, the hero of the Charterhouse of Parma took part in the Battle of Waterloo).
The story mentions a book called "The Rouge et le Noir" and another called "Die Kartause von Parma" -- both literal translations of the titles you named. The hero is called "Fabrizio" in the story, another translation.

And here's Stendhal's portrait for everyone to compare.

Wow, this is getting really interesting! Now I wonder if I should post the rest of the deck so you can see if I missed any other literary/cultural references...

Cat*

Since Fudugazi reminded me of the simple technique of googling... here's another clue about the character Tam Lin:
"Tam Lin is probably the best-known of the traditional fairy ballads. In many ways, it is the canonical ballad. Featuring a maid named Janet, the Queen of Elfland, and a handsome hero imprisoned under the Hill [...]" (source)​

I should probably add that several of the other stories also refer to other/older myths, legends, stories or places -- e.g. Inanna, Gilgamesch, Enkidu; Queatzalcoatl (the feathered snake from the book's title); the Watts Towers in L.A.; Juri Rytchëu's "Teryky" etc.

And the character "Jack Fortune" in the "American Hero" chapter seems to be built on Jack Kerouac (together with many other Beat Generation writers). The card attached to the story is the Wheel of Fortune with no humans on it.

Sophie

Hehe, I am a bit of a Stendhal buff :D

Harpo Marx it is! I knew I recognised his face.

The Hierophant looks German punk to me... am I wrong?

The Sun is not Louis XIV - and his costume is that of a Macaroni - late 18th century precious fashion - they liked to dress up and wear makeup, very camp. Not sure WHO it could be!

ETA - yes, Tam Lin is Irish. So your Sun is maybe an Irish Macaroni? He's too thin to be Oscar Wilde (a century later, but he liked to dress up too) - but there were others.

Moonsparkle

Wheee! At least I might have gotten one image right.

I see the John Huston thing, but I agree, not sure why either he or Sigmund Freud would be the emperor... Except, on the set, Huston was master of his little film world, and Freud dominated the field of psychology for a looong time.

Sophie

This is fun, like a sleuth.

I like that deck, btw!!

Cat*

Whoops, I never saw there were more answers! I'm sorry for the delay in replying!

Fudugazi said:
The Hierophant looks German punk to me... am I wrong?
I don't know... Did German punk really look any different than somewhere-else punk? But I agree insofar as the Hierophant vaguely reminds of some 80s new wave/punk-ish band member (not Boy George, but his corner of the music/style world)...

Fudugazi said:
The Sun is not Louis XIV - and his costume is that of a Macaroni - late 18th century precious fashion - they liked to dress up and wear makeup, very camp. Not sure WHO it could be!

ETA - yes, Tam Lin is Irish. So your Sun is maybe an Irish Macaroni? He's too thin to be Oscar Wilde (a century later, but he liked to dress up too) - but there were others.
*collecting puzzle pieces* Any bit of information is helpful, so thanks!

I never even heard the term "Macaroni" as meaning anything else than pasta - but thanks to Wikipedia I'm now a little bit smarter - so THIS is the macaroni from the song Yankee Doodle! :lightbulb. (I also love that Wikipedia lists "Metrosexual" as a See Also reference in the Macaroni article...)

---

Now that we all had some time to think, does anyone else recognize any of the people in the pictures I posted above?